New free Mac versions too: Anything Mod and Tube Gain Booster- more glitches or not!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I made this new plugin and started a project about it, please read on:

*** What is Anything Mod?

Anything Mod is a stereo audio effect plugin and a project to make it grow, so far it is a reverse delay, a ring modulator (analogue type), a waveshaper, a comb filter, and a glitch generator, but it's not a multieffect in the standard meaning.
Multieffect usually means that you have more than one effect module in the same plugin, they are separate modules with a fixed routing or assignable at best, while in Anything Mod the effects interact with each other, both in the audio path and in the parameters settings. That makes it a unique kind of modulator.

And my philosophy about it is to make a plugin immediate to use, not with hundreds parameters to learn first.
Should playable like an instrument, using the host automation or MIDI controllers. (So the parameters are reduced to 8 only in this first release, then we will see, read more below.)

As the name would say, Anything Mod is a modulator with a wide range of applications, it can be used on voice, guitars, drums and percussions, and any synths sound. The applied sound modulation can be soft or medium to enrich the source, or extreme transforming the sound source into "something else".

I will provide audio examples but you can have Anything Mod now for free! Yes Anything Mod 1.0 is free,
currently it's a VST plugin for Windows, in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Anything Mod comes bundled with another new free plugin: the " Tube Gain Booster".
I wanted to add a feature to level the audio output of Anything Mod, which is quite variable, but I decided to make that into a separate plugin to be inserted after Anything Mod (actualy it''s good also to put AM post TGB).
That's for more flexibility, allowing you to choose between "Tube Gain Booster" or another limiter/maximizer.
Of course you can also use "Tube Gain Booster" on its own. Read more about TGB , which is more than a simple booster, at the Anything Mod webpage linked below.

*** What is the Anything Mod project?

There are a number of features I would add to this plugin and make it a commercial product, let's call it Anything Mod Pro, but I would do that with your help!

On its webpage you can find a set of buttons, each one is linked to a message and a donation (using PayPal). The donation amount can be anything from 1 cent to what you like, that's for any button, but you should choose the button with the message that is more important to you. So depending on the donations and the messages received I will develop Anything Mod Pro, in the direction you suggest.
Moreover I will select a number of donors for a free license of Anything Mod Pro.
(Note that Anything Mod 1.0+ and Tube Gain Booster 1.0+ are free
and will remain 100% free to use for anybody in any way. You don't need to donate to use the plugins.)

(This is an experimental project, NUSofting will continue in the shareware software development as usual.)

Read about some of features I already planned for Anything Mod Pro at its webpage.

To download Tube Gain Booster and Anything Mod VST 32-bit and 64-bit for Windows.
please go to http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/anything_mod.html
and follow the instructions.

Thanks.....

Here below some more info from the webpage:

*** What about Anything Mod parameters so far?

Currently Anything Mod has 8 parameters:
- DryWet : -10 = Bypass, + 10 full Wet
- ModFreq : from 0.5 Hz to 2905 Hz
- FdbkAmnt : from 0 to 11
- MaxFilterFreq : from 23 to 6823 Hz
- MinFilterFreq : from 23 to 6823 Hz
- DepthFilt : from 0 (filter off) to 20
- StereoGlitches : from 0 to 32
- Gain2FX : from 0 (effect off) to 20

- DryWet simply does what it says no needs to explain further.

- ModFreq can go from sub audio to 2905 Hz max, in sub audio range the reverse delay is more effective, ModFreq adjusts the ring modulator, the delay time and the modulation rate of the filters.

- FdbkAmnt adjust the feedback amount to the delay lines and also the saturation leading to distortion or even whistles.

- MaxFilterFreq and MinFilterFreq have the same range and can be inverted (min bigger than max), that would reverse the waveshape which modulates the filters.

- DepthFilt adjusts the crossfading between the unfiltered and the filtered signal, a DryWet control for the filters only.

- StereoGlitches add "jumps" to the pointers that read the two delay lines, but different jumps for each of the two stereo channels.

- Gain2FX adjust the level of the input to the effect.

Note that MinFilterFreq higher than MaxFilterFreq and DepthFilt to 20 is the best set to avoid clicks in ModFreq changes

*** What is Tube Gain Booster?

"Tube Gain Booster" is a stereo, quick, audio level booster designed to complement the Anything Mod plugin,
but I suspect it's good for more applications.
TGB raises the gain of the source input using waveshaping and
compressing the dynamic range of the audio signal.
The TGB algorithm can model the sound of a tube amplifier to some extent,
since the carefully designed waveshaper has a "bias" that depends on the input level
and the harmonics profile of mode 2 gets very close to the one of a triode tube saturation.
And thanks to its filters network it can create radical changes in the sound source.

Tube Gain Booster has three operative modes:
-Mode 1: tube on no bias, mostly odd harmonics added and more gain boosting.
-Mode 2: tube on with bias, mostly even harmonics added and less gain boosting.
-Mode 3: tube off, much less harmonics added and less gain boosting.

Also there are two envelope settings for the compressor, these change the response
to transients and some of the distortion.

The effect output gain automatically try to stay below 0 dB, but an attenuator control is
available if the output is too hot for the mix or for further effects added after the TGB.
Anyway you need to have a medium level audio source for best results,
TGB also does not clip the signal so watch your VU meters.

Filters, other two controls allow to limit the band of the audio input.
These are two frequency parameters, for a high pass and a low pass filter.

The signal outside the selected band can be mixed directly with the compressed output using the Blend controls.
TGB has no latency so it doesn't alter the phase of the signal, therefore the dry input signal and the effected output can be mixed together with no phasing defects.

Hence you have two levels of usage:

1) Simple. Leave the high pass and low pass filters to full band,
MaxFilterFreq = 16000 Hz and MinFilterFreq = 20 Hz, and Blend controls set to zero,
since these are useless if filters are set to full band.
So you just use the other parameters to set the compression/boosting to your needs.

2) Advanced. Used the high pass and low pass filters frequency parmeters to reduce the band
of the input to be compressed. Now you have the possibility to mix the dry signal,
left out of the band, with the effected output. Use the Blend controls to adjust
the level of lows and highs to be mixed into the output.

E.G. The advanced mode is useful to avoid to boost and distort the very high frequencies
present in your input signal, and to pass them clean to the output.
Also useful to equalize the TGB output, for different sounding effects.
You can even cascade two or more TGB instances to achieve multiband compression/boosting.

TGB uses very little CPU as it's designed to be used on multiple tracks.

*** What about Tube Gain Booster parameters so far?

- Currently Tube Gain Booster has 8 parameters:

- CompAmnt : 0 dB to -52 dB, more compression gives also more tube distortion

- EnvType : "very fast" or "smooth"

- AlgoSelect : 3 modes. 1) tube on no bias, 2) tube on with bias, 3) tube off

- Attenuator : -12 dB to +5 dB

- MaxFilterFreq : input Low Pass, frequency 20 to 16000 Hz

- MinFilterFreq : input High Pass, frequency 20 to 16000 Hz

- BlendMixHf : -100 to +5 dB

- BlendMixLf: -100 to +5 dB

Note: setting MinFilterFreq higher than MaxFilterFreq,
or vice versa, the boosting will work on a narrow band
that you can shift for selective effects.
Please read the included manual for detailed info.

Questions?

Thanks for reading.

Luigi
Last edited by liqih on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cool...donation made :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Thanks VariKusBrainZ

great plug, fratello Luigi.
amazing as FSU device but also very very good when finetuned gently!
one of my fav donation/free plug.
way more versatile than it looks and a LOT of fun for me!:)
thank you!!!

thanks.
a nice tool.
donation made...

cheers,
tl.

Great stuff!
but i'd separate at least the frequency control for the different effects.
How about an "easy" tab and an "expert" tab with all the controls? :D

tl wrote:thanks.
a nice tool.
donation made...
Many thanks
wakax wrote:great plug, fratello Luigi.
amazing as FSU device but also very very good when finetuned gently!
one of my fav donation/free plug.
way more versatile than it looks and a LOT of fun for me!:)
thank you!!!
"way more versatile than it looks" yeah that's the idea

lalo wrote:Great stuff!
but i'd separate at least the frequency control for the different effects.
How about an "easy" tab and an "expert" tab with all the controls? :D
Thanks for the feedback, do you mean the ModFreq in Anything Mod?
We could have further controls to fine tune the same parameter,
but I will always keep one master ModFreq like it is now, so that you can sweep from the slowest reverse delay to the highest ring mod.
For the "pro" version an LFO and more controls are planned, but I want to keep parameters below a max number of about 16, the effect must be always easily "playable".
Anyway I will listen carefully to all your comments and suggestions.

Thanks Luigi :)
congratulations on the release of these two great plugins
great tools really add character to the sound, my favoryte is TGB incredible when used in a creative way a must have for lovers of fat sound ,but not least Anything Mod has a hidden potential that you do not notice at first use, really interesting how the parameters interact with each other and even more interesting are the results that can be achieved ,will be much appreciated.
compliments :tu:

I got to play around with these for a few weeks and really enjoyed the sounds I was making. I was able to make a handful of VST3 presets for Anything Mod, but I am unsure how to create vst2 presets in Cubase unfortunately. I'll post them after I make sure I am using the most recent version. :)
Wonderful freebies, Luigi. thanks for sharing them with me.

Thanks Jazzy and Taifunk!

BTW I'm already making the custom GUI for Anything Mod free,
with bmp sync calculator as some of you asked, from 2/4 to 1/128 , dotted and triplets! The display shows Hz, milliseconds, note name if in range, and tempo division if synced.
With high resolution sliders, and I can resize the GUI as you wish.
Check the preview
ImageAlso features tooltips,
comments?

Beautiful skin :tu: clean and uncluttered
the bmp sync calculator is really useful,I can't wait to try it!Thanks :)

Thanks mr. Taifunk , some details still need improvements.

BTW I thought to put here direct links to some of the mp3s with AM and TGB, for those who didn't check yet the whole audio page at web site

Anything Mod shorts:
anything_mod_presets_on_drum_machine_loop.mp3 dry_wet_drums_guitar.mp3
And ...
Only Tube Gain Booster on real guitar

Forgot to say that the OS X versions are almost ready

Return to “Effects”