DeeComp - WOW!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DeeComp

mutantdog wrote:The GUI makes me think of some old RadioShack gear.
Reminded me of nebula!

jens wrote:
murnau wrote:
jens wrote:That Looks bloody fantastic!
You buying plugins because of the look? :lol:
You not? You making wrong then!
Maybe but this really dont look good anyway. :wink:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

do_androids_dream wrote:Yes I do understand that the state of the market (and ones own financial situation) obviously has to come into decisions about pricing. I can only relate it to my own experience where I received a few fairly angry emails from fellow engineers who felt I was pricing far too low (when I first started out) as they, quite rightly, pointed out that someone who charges super low prices in comparison to competitors does the market more harm than good plus it undervalues skills. A lose-lose situation overall (that I quickly rectified).

I haven't purchased any plugins from Klanghelm or purchased Deecomp but, yes, I would be using them commercially if I did.
People will send angry messages about freeware, so...no surprise about your earlier experiences with fellow coders. Btv, how does one go about pricing software? Unless you're selling your code to someone, customers are merely paying a fee for a license to use it as is. They aren't allowed to decompile and re-purpose it as they see fit. If you have no rights to the code, then- what are you buying exactly that the price is based on?

Most Eula's have the same language about; no warranty, Not being responsible for damages,etc. As I understand it, the main purpose of the agreement is to make clear it's not a sale- which gives you the ability to outline the terms of use. Klanghelm and Sknote could charge more, but I think they want to give tools anyone can afford. They aren't the center of the universe, so their prices don't affect the market at all. It's all about having choices and serving a target market. It's the same as being able to buy cheap power and hand tools at places like menards, Harbor-freight tools, online, etc. Not everyone can afford Mikita or Dewalt tools. There are people that would never buy cheap tools, and those that only do. Having these options is better for everyone, and doesn't have a profound effect on each other.

Since no-one else can be bothered I decided to give the demo a quick go.

First off, no installer. Just a .dll file which is nice. To be honest, I'm no compression connoisseur but this seems like a decent, usable plugin. It doesn't seem to impart any obvious character and functions as it should. The most unique feature is the HP filter which means you can compress lower frequencies while allowing a dry signal through for the upper frequencies. I'm not sure how the widener works but i notice it increases the output level when the limiter switch is turned off.

Nevertheless, there really is nothing about this that strikes me as special, I see no reason why i would choose this over any other compressor, i have freeware comps that function and sound more or less the same, the hp thing could be achieved using a crossover and i'd be reluctant to use the widener without knowing how it's working.

I wouldn't buy it myself, it's okay but that's about it, certainly not worth the asking price in my opinion.

pc2000 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Yes I do understand that the state of the market (and ones own financial situation) obviously has to come into decisions about pricing. I can only relate it to my own experience where I received a few fairly angry emails from fellow engineers who felt I was pricing far too low (when I first started out) as they, quite rightly, pointed out that someone who charges super low prices in comparison to competitors does the market more harm than good plus it undervalues skills. A lose-lose situation overall (that I quickly rectified).

I haven't purchased any plugins from Klanghelm or purchased Deecomp but, yes, I would be using them commercially if I did.
People will send angry messages about freeware, so...no surprise about your earlier experiences with fellow coders. Btv, how does one go about pricing software? Unless you're selling your code to someone, customers are merely paying a fee for a license to use it as is. They aren't allowed to decompile and re-purpose it as they see fit. If you have no rights to the code, then- what are you buying exactly that the price is based on?

Most Eula's have the same language about; no warranty, Not being responsible for damages,etc. As I understand it, the main purpose of the agreement is to make clear it's not a sale- which gives you the ability to outline the terms of use. Klanghelm and Sknote could charge more, but I think they want to give tools anyone can afford. They aren't the center of the universe, so their prices don't affect the market at all. It's all about having choices and serving a target market. It's the same as being able to buy cheap power and hand tools at places like menards, Harbor-freight tools, online, etc. Not everyone can afford Mikita or Dewalt tools. There are people that would never buy cheap tools, and those that only do. Having these options is better for everyone, and doesn't have a profound effect on each other.
Sorry - I should have made it clear - I was talking about mix/master engineering. Yeah in the grand scheme of things one company who charges very little in comparison to the others for a product of similar quality, by itself, won't have a huge impact. Unless, it starts a trend of under-pricing (which is unlikely).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I think the comparison to buying cheap hardware like a chinese drill vs DeWalt is not the right one.
There's an intrinsic value and quality in hw, you cannot sell it cheap if it isn't "cheap".

Software is a service and services give a wide range of options for pricing policies. There's almost every time just one head behind one algorithm, so it is all about choices (investments in adv, copy protection, testimonials, re-sellers margin, royalties, third parties services, etc.).

Yes, of course, I can clearly see how "small" companies forced the average pricing in the market to go down!

Seems the band guy billed with "sound design" is a Techno guy. Same for the guys talking about the plugin in the dev's twitterline. They seem to be praising mostly the fast attack on drums, especially kicks. Dev gave some tips, all about drums and low-end. (Also said that externally it looks like a simple stereo compressor, but internally it uses multiband processing.)

Anyhow, I think this was not really made with analog emulation fans in mind, but rather Techno guys trying to make loud kicks.

The GUI designer is a guy that designs mechas, not surprising it looks like pseudo-military hardware.
Again, fits a Japanese Techno Hardcore audience.

quintosardo wrote:I think the comparison to buying cheap hardware like a chinese drill vs DeWalt is not the right one.
There's an intrinsic value and quality in hw, you cannot sell it cheap if it isn't "cheap".

Software is a service and services give a wide range of options for pricing policies. There's almost every time just one head behind one algorithm, so it is all about choices (investments in adv, copy protection, testimonials, re-sellers margin, royalties, third parties services, etc.).

Yes, of course, I can clearly see how "small" companies forced the average pricing in the market to go down!
The comparison is valid- because- the analogy gives a real life scenario which to identify with, since people are comparing the price of software with it's perceived value. Even the person who spoke on behave of the developer of DeeComp, said pros don't want cheap choices. This lends to the notion that the product's price correlates with it's quality, yet- the website being very basic doesn't reflect quality. The site doesn't have so much as a video or audio clip demo! This thread is about vst plug-ins by small developers, not big commercial companies with a workforce, corporate addresses, overhead cost and the other things you mentioned.

A company like WAVES- has the resources to offer services that the developer of *DeeComp* likely can't. Yet, DeeComp's regular price of $130 is up there with some of Waves single products. What protection do customers have if a one-man development team becomes seriously Ill or dies? You're just SOL, that's what. Business goes on at Waves and other big names, that's for sure!

Oh yes, I agree from this perspective, of course.

But if I hold ome DeWalt gear in my hands I WANT it and feel its value :)

It simply couldn't be sold cheap, no options.

I wouldn't buy a $1 item from a website that looks like this.

mutantdog wrote:Since no-one else can be bothered I decided to give the demo a quick go.

First off, no installer. Just a .dll file which is nice. To be honest, I'm no compression connoisseur but this seems like a decent, usable plugin. It doesn't seem to impart any obvious character and functions as it should. The most unique feature is the HP filter which means you can compress lower frequencies while allowing a dry signal through for the upper frequencies. I'm not sure how the widener works but i notice it increases the output level when the limiter switch is turned off.

Nevertheless, there really is nothing about this that strikes me as special, I see no reason why i would choose this over any other compressor, i have freeware comps that function and sound more or less the same, the hp thing could be achieved using a crossover and i'd be reluctant to use the widener without knowing how it's working.

I wouldn't buy it myself, it's okay but that's about it, certainly not worth the asking price in my opinion.

that's where i was too - good plugin, but doesn't stand out from the crown for the asking price - but it's certainly not crapware or anything - ps the HP filter was only added after i mentioned it - it made a big difference to usability as this is actually suitable for the master buss now.

Return to “Effects”