(Solved) IK Multimedia has as license transfer limit? WTH!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UPDATE 1:20 PM CST: They unlocked the transfer limit on my account and I was able to transfer the product. They told me that this was a recent change to thwart fraud against their customers. But it's best people know about this beforehand so no one else runs into this problem.

I have never encountered this from ANY ANY ANY company I've been working with. Nor have I seen this mentioned anywhere at any time at any place on the internet. Nor is it in their FAQ from what I've seen so far. I just tried to transfer EQ81, and I even paid the $20 for the license transfer credit. Upon clicking license transfer under the EQ81 header, I see this little nugget:

"You have reached the maximum number of license transfers.
To transfer this product to another user, please contact our Service/Support team here for more information. We apologize for any inconvenience. "

What in the actual hell? I have never known, nor seen, nor heard, of a limit on the number of license transfers one can do anywhere, at least not with the vendors I've worked with. From reading, their FAQ, this is NOT mentioned anywhere and I am absolutely FUMING because:

1. Someone already sent me money for the transfer

and 2. I've already paid for the transfer credit.

This is a terrible move on IK's part if I can't transfer this because of their unwritten rule. Now this makes ME look bad and anyone that's dealt with me on second hand sales know that I'm pretty good with it. I'm contacting support over this and if I can't transfer NOR get my money back from the credit purchase, I'm considering going to the BBB.
Last edited by xphen0m on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The BBB can't do anything. Alas, consumer protections for software users are non-existent in the U.S.

I'm hoping and praying that they can at least give me my money back from credit purchase if I can't transfer the product. They couldn't possibly be that shady to keep my money if I can't transfer this EQ81.

One would think that if someone reached an UNMENTIONED license transfer limit that their system would stop them from purchasing the credit. But nope. It straight up lets you do it. So possibly, IK Multimedia has stolen money from me. Hopefully that's not the case and a resolution can be reached here.

Like I said............. :shrug:
Teksonik wrote: I've come to the conclusion that IK Multimedia always has some great deals and group buys but they can't seem to do anything without mucking it up and pissing people off....... :shrug: (save your breath Peter)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Not adding to the beat down party.. but I thank you for bringing up the fact that there is a license transfer limit. I did not know of that. And now I wonder what precisely is that limit?

Max number of products transferrable from an account? Max number of times an individual product can be transferred? Both?

VitaminD wrote:Not adding to the beat down party.. but I thank you for bringing up the fact that there is a license transfer limit. I did not know of that. And now I wonder what precisely is that limit?

Max number of products transferrable from an account? Max number of times an individual product can be transferred? Both?
From Googling, I don't think very many people know about this. If any at all. It's never even been brought up, especially not on ikmultimedia.com.....where it NEEDS TO BE and SHOULD be at least mentioned.

So they let you pay the fee only to tell you that you've reached your "transfer limit"? Why they didn't tell you that back then the last time you transferred something? This way a customer will reach his "transfer limit" without knowing it.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

It's a major part their business model...
"subject to change without notice".
:bang:

murnau wrote:So they let you pay the fee only to tell you that you've reached your "transfer limit"? Why they didn't tell you that back then the last time you transferred something? This way a customer will reach his "transfer limit" without knowing it.
I don't think the transfer fee is directly tied to a product when you purchase it, so say you have 5 products, 4 may qualify, one may effectively be NFR (sold and resold to some limit), but their system won't check for that.

I wonder when the OP bought the plugin if it was new or they bought it used, and if used, was it NFR, was the seller told, was the buyer informed?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I was aware of it. I think you just need to contact support, tell them why you used them all and why you need more and they'll give you more. It's not a big deal.

I think it happened to me before because I buy new computers all the time.

(edit)

Oooops, you're not talking about activations... but yeah, just ask them what the deal is.

braj wrote:
murnau wrote:So they let you pay the fee only to tell you that you've reached your "transfer limit"? Why they didn't tell you that back then the last time you transferred something? This way a customer will reach his "transfer limit" without knowing it.
I don't think the transfer fee is directly tied to a product when you purchase it, so say you have 5 products, 4 may qualify, one may effectively be NFR (sold and resold to some limit), but their system won't check for that.

I wonder when the OP bought the plugin if it was new or they bought it used, and if used, was it NFR, was the seller told, was the buyer informed?
That's actually what i meant. If they can tell OP now that he have reached a "transfer limit" why that wasn't possible back then (no matter if he transfer or bought something)? They should update their system to be customer-friendly because this way it's not hassle-free.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

braj wrote:

The plugin was new and even had a license transfer field prior to.....whatever changed. I checked this for myself before I listed it in the Market Place.

But if every transferable product is now showing this message, I think the system should be able to check for that as that's applied to your whole account. That's what happening here. The message is on every transferable product and the system let me pay for the transfer credit regardless.

Their transfer limit must not be very high because from my records, this is only the third or fourth product I've tried to transfer.
an-electric-heart wrote:I was aware of it. I think you just need to contact support, tell them why you used them all and why you need more and they'll give you more. It's not a big deal.

I think it happened to me before because I buy new computers all the time.
I e-mailed them, got one reply asking me.......(gasp) if I had gotten the message about a max transfers. Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'll give it time.

xphen0m wrote: But if every transferable product is now showing this message, I think the system should be able to check for that as that's applied to your whole account. That's what happening here. The message is on every transferable product and the system let me pay for the transfer credit regardless.
Yeah, that sounds like a bug then.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I've run in to this problem as well, been trying to sell a couple more plugins I bought that are applicable but I've not been getting any contact back from support. I've contacted twice now over the last month with no response.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Did you email them or use their software support portal?

I ran into this, as well, and emailed them. No response. A few days later, I used their software support portal (not sales), and they took care of me within about 12 hours. :)
Blue Phase Music

Return to “Effects”