IK Multimedia Mic Room

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The included mics are all cardioid pattern and the ARC mics are omni, and that does present more issues/anomalies than one might imagine. Sorry that I didn't address that request here. I don't know what the future holds in that regard and for other mics, I would say that depends on how Mic Room is received over some more time.

Wait Peter, not quite right, and not necessarily wrong either.

The "Mic Modeler" engine is (from first looks) maybe laid out to be for Cardioid Microphones... but... (and this is a big but)...

The following mics are available for both the source and the destination type:
- the AKG C-414 can be switches in terms of patterns (IIRC: Cardioid, Omni, Figure 8)
- the RE-20 was (at one point, and IIRC) Omni and not Cardioid (like now - actually, a lot of ElectroVoice mics were Omni!)
- The Brauner VM-1 is definitely not Cardiod alone, it's "stepless" with it's appropriate preamp
- Ribbon mics are (due to the build) always Figure 8
- Neumann TLM-170 - multi charachteristics
- Neumann U87 - depending on the build, multi characteristics

I could go on like that.

So... your argument is kind of invalid?

Also... Mic Room seems to be popular already, since you ship it with the iRig mics (app!). So what's stopping the company to listen to the users (current and possible future ones) to update the software, or release an XLR version of the iRig? I mean, this would mean even more income.

Oh wait... we're the "wrong market"/"target audience".
Again... :roll:

And those that might pick up some Chinese rebuilds shall not benefit... fine with me, really.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

All of the mics in Mic Room (which is what I meant by "included mics" above) are indeed modeled as cardioid pattern as I stated. That's what was modeled. Sorry if that was unclear.

Nobody said we weren't thinking of releasing iRig Mic Studio in XLR form, where did you see me say that? I wish you would not instantly perceive my replies to you as "anti-CompyFox" as that's what led to me realizing in the past that you might do better just contacting IK directly through the multiple methods available to you on our site (and your continuously rolling eyes don't help)... I apologize if you feel a certain way because your feature requests and suggestions were not implemented (or were not in a timely enough fashion for you) but we are listening and do take yours and other suggestions seriously including the one abut an XLR version of our microphones.

Nor did anybody say you HAVE to use our mics or the source mics, that's for best possible results but you can use similar mics and get great results too. I answered this misunderstanding over on Gearslutz too:
Just to clarify, there is no requirement to use IK mics (or even just the real versions of the modeled mics) in Mic Room. This is a suggestion for best results, but by no means a requirement.

We suggest to use the same mic, or a similar type, as the one used for your original recording as a source. This is to achieve the best matching. If you don’t have that mic or don’t want to use that? That's OK, you are not getting the absolute best match but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to sound interesting or actually good.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:All of the mics in Mic Room (which is what I meant by "included mics" above) are indeed modeled as cardioid pattern as I stated. That's what was modeled. Sorry if that was unclear.
I quote:
The included mics are all cardioid pattern and the ARC mics are omni, and that does present more issues/anomalies than one might imagine
Yes, that was unclear.
Then again - Ribbon are Figure-8 by nature. They can't be "cardioid pattern modeled".

So still - what holds you (the company) off to include the ECM mics anyway (again, ARC is part of IKM's arsenal - and a lot of users already have this mic)? Sure can't be a technical difficulty (see Ribbon mics), and if people paid attention in AE classes - Omni mics at close proximity and high input level turn into Cardioid.

Yet you basically said "er... won't work"

See, this is what I start to loathe from companies these days. Instead of just saying "yes, there is a shortcoming, thanks for mentioning that, I will forward it and then we will go from there", it's constantly "buzzword here, buzzword there - you're doing it wrong, this is not as intended to use". And you you call you out on this (promotion game), then it's constant barking up each others trees like no tomorrow.

Maybe I'm just too long in the AE business so that things like that just stare at me like the Killer Rabbit from Python's Holy Grail only milliseconds prior to attacking.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Nobody said we weren't thinking of releasing iRig Mic Studio in XLR form, where did you see me say that?
You did indeed not give a definite no, just that you don't know currently. It's still a logical step. And as long as there is no XLR version available, the concept, or rather pushing the software with the iRig mic (a good 1/4th of the dropdown list on the input side), is kind of moot IMO.

Oh and... I read on GearSlutz as well, Peter. Yet I didn't swim through all the text yet.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I wish you would not instantly perceive my replies to you as "anti-CompyFox" as that's what led to me realizing in the past that you might do better just contacting IK directly through the multiple methods available to you on our site (and your continuously rolling eyes don't help)... I apologize if you feel a certain way because your feature requests and suggestions were not implemented (or were not in a timely enough fashion for you) but we are listening and do take yours and other suggestions seriously including the one abut an XLR version of our microphones.
Oh yeah, only then to be ignored or being b*tched at from the developer team like last time (where you forwarded some comment of mine from the KVR public section, and you then forwarded a very harsh comment by the dev team - way to go!).

I mean, I actually PRAISED the company for finally going that route. It took a couple of years, but hey... remember that my original idea was to use the AT3 mics and a "clean cabinet/room" to create the same effect? Now it's a dedicated T-Racks module, better looking than Antares Mic Modeler even (however, updating it with new mic files won't be as easy). Not to mention cheaper (not counting the additional VAT for EU users - unless "mic packs" come along and will cost "micro payment money").

But okay, whatever...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Nor did anybody say you HAVE to use our mics or the source mics, that's for best possible results but you can use similar mics and get great results too. I answered this misunderstanding over on Gearslutz too:
I think nobody said that on KVR either. We were only stating, or rather asking, why the ARC mic wasn't included in the setup as well? Or why no other more "affordable" mics are in the list (just the usual suspects again). And then we wondered what might be a possible future update (hence ECMxxx/ARC v1/v2 mic, iRig XLR Small and Large Membrane, etc).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Here's a new video where Matty Amendola of 825 Records goes through a mix and transforms each part using Mic Room for T-RackS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOK0Kp5AI3k

Curious as to whether anyone has compared the resulting sounds from a target mic in Mic Room with the same microphone in Amplitube. Anyone?

Yeah....you dudnt read the thread i take it.

producer7 wrote:Yeah....you dudnt read the thread i take it.
Actually producer7, I did read it. Burillo's post on p.2 talks about a reverse phase test he did using the U87 as a target mic. While he says the two did not null out, he doesn't indicate how the two methods sounded different. That's what I'm wondering about.

You got a point...Looks like you read it closer than i did :) Not that theres any shame in NOT reading the thread. :) Who can keep up with it all? or read it after i screamed at you lol :)

for the record, they sounded pretty similar to me. however, that wasn't what the test was about, so i didn't pay close attention :) i was just curious if IK just copypasted Amplitube mic code into T-Racks and called it a new plugin (which would have been revealed by the null test). turns out it's not quite what they did.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

producer7 wrote:You got a point...Looks like you read it closer than i did :) Not that theres any shame in NOT reading the thread. :) Who can keep up with it all? or read it after i screamed at you lol :)
No problem, man:) Actually, after I read your comment I double checked to see if I had missed something. I was aided by the fact that this thread was shorter than the usual IK epic 30 page plus thread!

Burillo wrote:for the record, they sounded pretty similar to me. however, that wasn't what the test was about, so i didn't pay close attention :) i was just curious if IK just copypasted Amplitube mic code into T-Racks and called it a new plugin (which would have been revealed by the null test). turns out it's not quite what they did.

Yeah good thinking. I wouldnt have put it past them or anyone..I think people are a bit too savy for that nowadays though.

We share the same feelings on this product BTW.
No problem, man:) Actually, after I read your comment I double checked to see if I had missed something. I was aided by the fact that this thread was shorter than the usual IK epic 30 page plus thread!
:tu:

I realize this post is a thread resurrection, but I might pick this up as a freebie in the current Group Buy.

I tried it on vocals a week or so ago, and didn't like it at all. Anything I chose just sounded too dark and lifeless (my source mic was an AT4033). However, after trying it on a mic'd guitar cab (mic'd with a castrated SM58, so more-or-less an SM57), I'm really liking the different colorations I can get. Some tones that end up recording a little harsh can be smoothed over with those two Ribbon models. Pretty cool.

Basically, this freebie is leaving me a choice between Clipper and Mic Room, and I think Mic Room is probably the most unique and potentially useful plugin of the two.
Macs M1/M2 / Bitwig 4 / Studio One 6

That may be due to the source mic chosen in Mic Room being a mismatch with your mic. You may want to compare specs of your mic with the choices for source in Mic Room and see if there's something close. The frequency response chart is a good place to start. The one for your 4033 can be found in this doc: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resou ... submit.pdf

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:That may be due to the source mic chosen in Mic Room being a mismatch with your mic. You may want to compare specs of your mic with the choices for source in Mic Room and see if there's something close. The frequency response chart is a good place to start. The one for your 4033 can be found in this doc: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resou ... submit.pdf
Thanks. Is there IK documentation with freq response charts for all the mics included in Mic Room to compare?
Macs M1/M2 / Bitwig 4 / Studio One 6

Return to “Effects”