[solved] Voxengo Boogex Eq buggy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
The Voxengo Boogex is a nice little free guitar amp simulator.

I played around with the plugin yesterday and noticed that the EQ (top half of the window)
is not working as I expected.

The first and the last knob (LP/HP) are working fine, but I did not hear any effect when moving the middle (Peak) knobs.

Bug?

Chris
Last edited by Chris-S on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmed. Peaking and Shelfing filters seem to do nothing in version 2.1.

Edit: They seem to work with Amp Drive > +0dB

Ok, I will update to the newest version.

Dandruff wrote:
Edit: They seem to work with Amp Drive > +0dB
Yes, of course - that's why it is called "EmphasisEq" - it only affects the Amp. If in doubt, you guys need to learn to RTFM. ;-)

Emphasis EQ

Emphasis equalizer is used to shape the sound of the amplifier. This is a very
powerful tone-shaping stage. Please refer to the “Voxengo Primary User Guide” for
in-depth information about this control surface’s functions.
Emphasis EQ allows you to overdrive certain areas of the spectrum heavier or lighter
than the others.
Note that low- and high-pass filters are applied both before and after the amplifier
module.

Pre EQ

Used to filter the incoming signal. This is usually useful if the pickups on the guitar
are too boomy or too crisp. This can be also used to shape the sound.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

So, it's influencing the amount of distortion in different frequency ranges.

Got it.

Yes, exactly. It is used to quite flexibly shape the tone of the amplification/distortion. The high- and lowpass are applied after the amp too, in order to help avoiding excessive muddiness and/or harshness, which is why they also work if the amp is bypassed (drive set to zero).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hi, I've found a posible bug with the equalizer.
The problem is that I found that bug in version 2.1 and I'm not sure why is it in version 2.3.
I've put a white noise file playing through Boogex, a spectral analyzer and played a loop. adjusting the emphasis EQ I've found that the Locut and the Hicut work fine, but the peak bands do the wrong way. if a band is dragged up, the gain of that band is reduced. And dragged down, the response is reversed and the output increases the level in that band.
It's easy to find the problem.
So, is it intentionally working that way? Maybe it is a problem with the audio phase that reverses the output ot the band filters?

Yes this is intentional, Alexsey explained it somewhere some time ago, it's very counter-intuitive but once you get your head around it it somehow feels logical :scared: 8)

Found the post : viewtopic.php?t=189928
wikter wrote:Hi, I've found a posible bug with the equalizer.
The problem is that I found that bug in version 2.1 and I'm not sure why is it in version 2.3.
I've put a white noise file playing through Boogex, a spectral analyzer and played a loop. adjusting the emphasis EQ I've found that the Locut and the Hicut work fine, but the peak bands do the wrong way. if a band is dragged up, the gain of that band is reduced. And dragged down, the response is reversed and the output increases the level in that band.
It's easy to find the problem.
So, is it intentionally working that way? Maybe it is a problem with the audio phase that reverses the output ot the band filters?

Emphasis filters emphasize frequencies. So in the end frequencies you have emphasized are affected by distortion more than the others. As a result you will have these frequencies more distorted and thus quieter.
Yes! Not so reasonable for me, but among all the posible reasons, i thought that could be one.

Return to “Effects”