New BSS DPR-402 Compressor / Limiter / De-Esser from Waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote:You do realise that you don't have to pay WUP annually, or that you need it to update your plugins. Ideally, you may not have to pay it until you want to update to Version 10. If and when that ever comes along.
But the thing is that if you decide to sell your Waves plugin/bundle and your WUP has expired OR the buyer wants to buy it with full WUP, then you have to pay WUP for those years you haven't WUP'd it. If your plugins WUP is now $10.00 next year it will be more. After three years it might be $30 or even more. I paid $35 WUP (that's for three years) for selling Kramer PIE for $60. Thanks, Waves. :? And now I'm desperately trying to sell my Studio Classics Collection and its WUP amount is increasing every single day! So for selling the bundle I have to pay $150 licence transfer fee plus the $150+ WUP.

Yes, it's true that you don't have to WUP annually but the WUP amount will increase every day or every year and if you want to update or sell you will have to WUP for those years you haven't WUP'd - no matter what.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

J4R1O wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:You do realise that you don't have to pay WUP annually, or that you need it to update your plugins. Ideally, you may not have to pay it until you want to update to Version 10. If and when that ever comes along.
But the thing is that if you decide to sell your Waves plugin/bundle and your WUP has expired OR the buyer wants to buy it with full WUP, then you have to pay WUP for those years you haven't WUP'd it. If your plugins WUP is now $10.00 next year it will be more. After three years it might be $30 or even more. I paid $35 WUP (that's for three years) for selling Kramer PIE for $60. Thanks, Waves. :? And now I'm desperately trying to sell my Studio Classics Collection and its WUP amount is increasing every single day! So for selling the bundle I have to pay $150 licence transfer fee plus the $150+ WUP.

Yes, it's true that you don't have to WUP annually but the WUP amount will increase every day or every year and if you want to update or sell you will have to WUP for those years you haven't WUP'd - no matter what.
Is this true? Sounds like baloney to me.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:Sounds like baloney to me.
Now its WUP is $152.80 and earlier this week when I checked it was less. I'll let you know what the amount is tomorrow, ok?

J4R1O wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Sounds like baloney to me.
Now its WUP is $152.80 and earlier this week when I checked it was less. I'll let you know what the amount is tomorrow, ok?
Ok, but you say you need to pay for prior missed (ie, non WUP'd) years. This is the bit I'm questioning.

If I go "unWUP'd" for say 3 years, in the fourth I need to pay 4 years worth?

EDIT: my money (no pun) is on FX movements. Are you in the US or elsewhere? Based on the fact you're posting at 12pm (CET) I suspect you're European.

Mushy Mushy wrote:If I go "unWUP'd" for say 3 years, in the fourth I need to pay 4 years worth?
Not sure about that fourth year but my Kramer PIE WUP just kept increasing every year (purchased in 2013 and sold about a month ago).
Mushy Mushy wrote: I suspect you're European.
That's correct. From Finland.

J4R1O wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:If I go "unWUP'd" for say 3 years, in the fourth I need to pay 4 years worth?
Not sure about that fourth year but my Kramer PIE WUP just kept increasing every year (purchased in 2013 and sold about a month ago).
Mushy Mushy wrote: I suspect you're European.
That's correct. From Finland.
Ok so I guess it's one of two things or a combination thereof.
a) FX variances
b) simply inflation

If they were charging for missed years your WUP would be up 300% vs say 10/20%.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Ok so I guess it's one of two things or a combination thereof.
a) FX variances
b) simply inflation

If they were charging for missed years your WUP would be up 300% vs say 10/20%.
Not sure how this WUP actually works but based on my own experiences it really increases every year. Higher MSRP, higher WUP.

OneKnob Pumper's (Waves X-mas gift 2014) WUP today is $10 - but OneKnob Louder's (Waves X-mas gift 2012) WUP today is $12.80

Indeed, WUP price increases over time. After your WUP expires you have one month of grace period when WUP can be renewed at cheaper price. After the month it will increase a bit. Previously it just went up, like from 10$ during month after expiring to 15$ after. But maybe Waves has made the process now gradual where it will not jump up immediately but will increase over time.
No signature here!

J4R1O wrote:

wow i wish waves would make that bit clearer! Thanks for letting us know, i had no idea about this.

it doesn't matter this time, as i have so many expired plugs that the wup is the max 300 anyway, and will give me two years (various plugin dates brings them all to be wupped till april 2018).

but to know it's more for single plugins over time.. that's good to know, and harsh. So you DO get penalised and WUP is less optional than we thought. If a major upgrade happens for example (say, V10 of waves), and you have a new OS(say, in the future, windows 11 for sake of example) and need that new waves version for it to work, then you will pay this cumulative wup, right? So there's no real such thing as doing wup whenever you want, you might as well keep it up to date at all times then. :shrug:

My dbx 160 Compressor/Limiter (MSRP $149) WUP has expired on February 24, 2016 and its WUP would cost me now $10.00. So when it starts increasing? Because obviously it will.

My REDD (MSRP $249) WUP expired on January 02, 2014 and the WUP would cost me now $38.60. Just wondering (because I can't remember) what was its WUPs renewing price after it expired: $10.00, $15.00, $20.00 or $30.00? I'd just like to know... Is it possible that it increases $10 a year??

See if you can dig some answers out of here:
http://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

MogwaiBoy wrote:See if you can dig some answers out of here:
http://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan
This is all just very general and doesn't say one word about the WUP fees actually increasing over time. So, either simon.a.billington misunderstood something or Waves are simply hiding the bitter truth about the increase. One way or the other - my decision to get rid of all Waves plug-ins is getting easier steadily. WUP sucks... and so does Waves Central.

You're right it doesn't give you information on how exactly "WUP" is calculated over certain time periods - they just simply give a ballpark figure and then say don't worry about it because it tops out at $300 maximum (a week's wages for some)... hardly reassuring.

They would be investigated by the Commerce Commission in my country for this WUP policy= because there appears to be deliberate obfuscation on their part not to inform customers fully of their fee structure.

Never knew WUP went up all the time.

Bit pissed off about that actually. As much as I LOVE the Waves stuff I've picked up cheap over last few years, WUP plus the fact that I cannot have them on 2 machines at the same time means I won't be getting any more.

J4R1O wrote:

Yeah it does increase every year, but even the single plugins will cap, I'm thinking its around 20%.

The only real issue I see is reselling. Who knows maybe they will make that cheaper for folks in the near future.

Personally, I just wouldn't sell. I'd give it away to someone for the price of the WUP if anything.

Return to “Effects”