LA3A emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After working with the Waves CLA3A for a while i really like it. In most cases where i'd normally drag a LA2A in i found i liked the sound better with the 3A.

Does anyone have experience with the hardware (or software) ? If so, can you recommend the Waves version, or are there other emulations you prefer?

It sounds great on everything doesn't it? Just perfect imho.

You might also like Waves Renaissance Compressor.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I use the CLA3A on electrics sometimes.
UAD has a version but I don't have the HW for it.
Black Rooster Audio was meant to get one off the ground but I have not heard boo from those cats in ages!

Did I miss any other soft emu?
"Yeah Butch tell Paul McCartney what to do..." - Dave Grohl, Sound City

Never used it, and I'm not a Nebula guy, but there's this...

http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/opto-3a/

I believe Slate's aiming for year end for a set of opto comps.

Yes Aloysius it sounds good on everything :). Rcomp is not exactly it..
Maybe the DC8C2 can get closer to sound like it.

Best case scenario daydream, NI or IKM do one. I guess it's not that popular to emu since the 2A gets all the buzz. The UAD one i've yet to try. For now the waves is good enough.

I don't have experience with anything nebula either. Slate's version should be interesting! Didn't know that.

Love the UAD version. Easy to dial in and the midrange is just lovely. Ultra tiny GUI is a little annoying but imho one of the underrated comps that UAD has on offer. They are doing their mid year 50% sale right now so might be able to get it for a pretty nice price.

I'm actually pretty keen on a Slate FG-2A + FG-3A! Especially after their blue stripe! :party:

Almost caved on an Apollo a couple times... UAD - I would love to have you in plugin folder but you keep wanting me to put a ring on it! :wink:

Nebula... well, let's just say my toaster would explode. AA core 8 stuff has been getting some nice reviews.
"Yeah Butch tell Paul McCartney what to do..." - Dave Grohl, Sound City

Just came across this: Phoenixinflightaudio releases the OPTRON 3A (free) ...

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2010/12/p ... -plug-ins/

The link on the page is dead but you could Google it if you're interested.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The UAD version for me.. that is one they really nailed.. funny as it's one of their oldest plugins and has a tiny gui and does not model any of the mojo of the hardware.. but the attack and release internal settings and compression behaviour is just spot on. It's such a lovely magical leveller imo! I got the waves when it was on sale for 49 just to have a native version, and it's usable but the uad's "action" really is much nicer.

TheoM wrote:.. the uad's "action" really is much nicer.
I can probably get a deal on an old UAD pci with a bunch of effects, i hope the 3A is in the package.
Aloysius wrote:Just came across this: Phoenixinflightaudio releases the OPTRON 3A (free) ...
Nice find. I'm going to try it today.

Another one i didn't know of. $300,-!!?
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... xla-3.html
Last edited by zeep on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorry double post
Last edited by zeep on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oops..

Ok this is ridiculous. My Edits are somehow Replies. sorry again.

zeep wrote:
TheoM wrote:.. the uad's "action" really is much nicer.
I can probably get a deal on an old UAD pci with a bunch of effects, i hope the 3A is in the package.
Aloysius wrote:Just came across this: Phoenixinflightaudio releases the OPTRON 3A (free) ...
Nice find. I'm going to try it today.

Another one i didn't know of. $300,-!!?
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... xla-3.html

well if we are getting into la2a also then, and "alternatives" then there are heaps of great options.

softube summit, tubetech, Cakewalk, UAD again of course, etc

There are a lot less options out there for the 3A. With UAD and Waves being the only versions I know of myself.

Interesting to see a few other mentions in here as well. I would have expected Slate to have a go at it, mind you.

I think the 3A doesn't get enough "air time", but it really is great compressor. The exact nature of the model will depend heavily on the exact nature of the actual LA3A unit the devs modelled. I kind of think its pointless splitting hairs about the differences though.

Return to “Effects”