Echoboy & Primal Tap vs Replika XL

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UVI Relayer is also nice, very well thought out GUI on that. I have Echoboy and it's definitely the star of the Soundtoys package but it really could do with a GUI update. I have been playing with Replika XT and it is very good, NI have done a great job with that. I'd upgrade Replika in an instant if I didn't have the others.

chk071 wrote:It's Replika XT btw, not XL.
Thanks for the clarifying the trivial.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Sampleconstruct wrote:
4damind wrote:Replika (XT) is IMO better for musicians, not only Jean-Michel Jarre prefers this delay over all other digital delays. But... for sound designers or if access to more options is needed, Echoboy is very good. Anyway, I have not so much interest for Echoboy and prefer Replika.
But Replika XT has a lot more options sound design-wise like pitch shifting and frequency shifting also within the feedback loop, so your statement doesn't make so much sense IMHO.
I believe you use Logic, and I find that Delay Designer paired with SDRR or VSM-3 (or other top-tier saturator) can really give you similar, if not better, results. A bit of TLC is required, but the plugin has many levers, similar to Echoboy. It's kind of fun to get into it as it has been around for some time. There are some pretty good youtube videos that go into a moderate amount of depth regarding its usage.

However, If I had to choose a ST plug, it would def be Decapitator, but perhaps that's the gear-slutty side of me speaking.

I really don't see the need to try out NIs unless you are in bed with Komplete.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Relayer is easier to use, the GUi is superb. But it lacks the modes of Replika XT. And both lack some of the character echoboy has.

Why on earth there can't be an ultimate delay.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Relayer is easier to use, the GUi is superb. But it lacks the modes of Replika XT. And both lack some of the character echoboy has.

There's the one that Elton uses :D

lnikj wrote:
rod_zero wrote:Relayer is easier to use, the GUi is superb. But it lacks the modes of Replika XT. And both lack some of the character echoboy has.

There's the one that Elton uses :D
Can...can...can....you feel...feel..feel...the love...love...love....tonight...night...night...

musiclover55547 wrote:
chk071 wrote:It's Replika XT btw, not XL.
Thanks for the clarifying the trivial.
No probs. Always happy to help out people who have problems with trivial, 2 character designations.

does echoboy have resonance on it's filters? I feel like this seems to be such a ridiculously esoteric feature for third party delays..

TK is the best i have so far that has an aax, but it can only do a single high or low cut with resonance, as in no secondary filter allowed even without resonance once one with resonance is used, or both a HP and LP without. It's a bit frustrating. I mean usually we want the high cut(low pass) with resonance, and even some modulation.. but we need a low cut (hi pass) to just shave off some of those troublesome frequencies that build and muddy the sound in the low end. But with tk it's one or the other, which is a plainly stupid design flaw. Boz digital had no resonance at all last time i checked. Nomad liquid has resonance on both filters AND synced modulation but it's overdriven feedback sounds very un tapey, and so forth. it's just a shame that the nest delays were always in Logic factory. Oh, i have the ricochet from audiodamage for many years now but i'm really trying to stay away from non aax native. That said, it does have resonance and is the option if i find no other.

My soundtoys account wants an even 100 to upgrade to the full bundle (i have radiator and microshift full versions, and all the littles during the donation thing), but i keep putting it in cart and redacting cause I don't want to lose my individual licenses.
Getting devil loc deluxe upgrade and primal tape upgrade is $12 cheaper, *however*, i have interest in tremolator (only really good aax tremolo), AND if echoboy has resonance it will seal the deal and i'll just go for the upgrade to full. It will be too tempting to pass up then.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheoM wrote:My soundtoys account wants an even 100 to upgrade to the full bundle
It's worth even just for the Echoboy. I own most of the other delays, but Echoboy is still the one. Not to mention that you can use it with FilterFreak and other amazing effects as well. The rack system made me feel like designing my own plugins with an effective, vintage style interface.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

I have been playing bucket brigade analog delay guitar pedals for years and although I am convinced nothing could replicate an old Boss or MXR Carbon Copy, I have recently been on the hunt for a plugin with the analog-ish character of hardware. I stumbled on the Metric Halo Dirty Delay which has freaking awesome saturation modelling from their Character plugin in the repeats of the delay(s). This thing does all I need including dual-tap rhythms, ping pong, tap tempo button and parametric EQ-style filtering - but especially the saturation on the repeats brings it nearer to actual analog than anything else I've heard... though I've not tried the Echoboy :)

crystalmsc wrote:
TheoM wrote:My soundtoys account wants an even 100 to upgrade to the full bundle
It's worth even just for the Echoboy. I own most of the other delays, but Echoboy is still the one. Not to mention that you can use it with FilterFreak and other amazing effects as well. The rack system made me feel like designing my own plugins with an effective, vintage style interface.
i did it, it made sense at that price.

Echoboy sadly doesn't have resonance on it's HP and LP, and i still prefer TK delay overall. I do like the groove option though. It's only really useful on a send IMO so one can add any EQ they like, but it has latency which is also weird for a delay.

it was worth it for decapitator, tremolator, DLock Deluxe and the other delay thingy, primal tap, is crazy fun.
Filterfreak is absolutely awful, just as I remember it. It is an outdated filter that sounds weak compared to the drop for example.
I've had the bundle before but sold it cause of bugs, but at this price it was worth the plunge. It seems all stable in PT so far, which is good. overall i'm happy.

while I know this was not one of the three mentioned in the OT-
Ohmboyz really deserves mention.
it DOES have resonance on it's 4 types of filters, it has a metric pantload of modulation options (39 LFOs) with 10 wave shapes. You CAN get it to create reverse FX. It has a 4 tap pre delay section... It has two separate delay lines and cross feedback adjustment between them...
On the down side- it's old.
but then again, so is a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette...but I still want one of those :D

TheoM wrote: Echoboy sadly doesn't have resonance on it's HP and LP, and i still prefer TK delay overall. I do like the groove option though. It's only really useful on a send IMO so one can add any EQ they like, but it has latency which is also weird for a delay.
psp608 md has resonance on its filters and two different reverbs too.
I use it quite often (while still thinking about getting the soundtoys bundle...)

Can anyone compare Replika XL's delay with pitch shifter mode to Sonic Charge's Echobode?
I wanted to try them side by side but my Echobode demo ran out before I could.

Thanks!

Return to “Effects”