MMultibandconvolution and Melda in general?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been looking for a convolution reverb suitable for sound design type of reverb use, and the Melda offering is currently on sale.

http://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiBandConvolution

It has tons of features, and the versatile crossover feels like it would offer some pretty unique processing. The included impulse library isn't stellar, but there's other sources for those.

Do you use this plugin, is it stable, do you think it compares well to other options (which are all a lot more expensive) and what do you think about Melda in general?

Thanks.

It's a great reverb.
As with all Melda plugins, the learning curve is a bit hard (many features), but when it comes to sound design, it's well worth it :)
You can do a lot with the crossovers, and also using it in serial or parallel (you can run a cab/amp IR in one slot, and one reverb into another slot), and you can also use a short ambience reverb when the input sound is soft, and a lush hall IR when the input signal gets louder.

You can quickly shape the convolution waveform- envelope and eq-- and it has a fast browser with a big gui which helps a lot. If you dont have other Melda, note you must install ALL their plugin presets.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Yeah I'm getting this, the modulation system is extremely well thought out, yet still remains easy to use. I got some insanely impressive and realistic reverbs by modulating the band limit between two different lengths of the same space, and a bit of EQ band modulation. Combining algo verb with IRs also worked great.

This was a great purchase, it's like a complete, superpowerful reverb design studio in one practical, easy to use plugin. Multiband side is really made well, modulations go way beyond simple LFOs (envelope follower especially makes convolution less static than many algo verbs), M/S... and moderate CPU use. The included library has lots of useful stuff, but combined with the Samplicity Bricasti true stereo stuff this gives me sound that I thought I'd never afford.

Top stuff, Melda! :tu:

Melda does great, feature-rich and CPU-efficient stuff - I use MCompare, MAutoDynamicEQ and their FreeBundle (registered) in every production.

People quite often criticise the UI - but it can be adjusted to taste.

I use MMultiAnalyzer and MAutoDynamicEq. :love:

Noisia uses MMultibandConvolution too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5SKynR8QE

e@rs wrote:I use MMultiAnalyzer and MAutoDynamicEq. :love:
HELL yeah, I forgot MMultiAnalyzer, which I did buy not even two days ago, good point!

Here is a patch where MMultiBandConvolution is used inside MXXXCore (amongst other things) and I'm using a the harmonizer to tune the IR (the sample of a giant sound sculpture made of springs) up and down (setup chromatically via Bank Mode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh3Dk6 ... o&index=54

Sampleconstruct that sounds fantastic! MXXX must be insane for sound design.

Also nice inspiration from Noisia, I need to experiment with other stuff than just reverb convolution. I really like the idea of physicality added to synthesized sounds.
FrankLaVerne wrote:Melda does great, feature-rich and CPU-efficient stuff - I use MCompare, MAutoDynamicEQ and their FreeBundle (registered) in every production.

People quite often criticise the UI - but it can be adjusted to taste.
I find nothing wrong with the UI, I use one of the flat presets with tweaked colours, they're clear, resizeable, and compact, among the better UIs to be honest. One day I'll make a Live skin for them.

Inspired by the Convolution purchase, I also upgraded the FreeBundle, would be worth just for the EQ and analyzers (as much as I like Voxengo, Analyzer is better than Span, and the oscilloscope is the best I've seen), but oversampling makes the distortion/saturation and freqshifter plugins awesome.

Just be careful of the high license transfer fees which are 20% of the regular price. also Melda's transaction vendor levies a further 7-9% on forced currency exchange (eg, the transfer price is quoted in euro but on checkout gets converted to USD with that additional fee added. there appears no way to avoid it). This may not be a concern for you but it's something to keep in mind because it affects what you'd get back if you decide to sell your licenses.

.jon wrote:Sampleconstruct that sounds fantastic! MXXX must be insane for sound design.
Thanks - it sure is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gDGRq ... 28MV4PVJ2d

It's pretty awesome. I have no problem with the Melda GUIs, but other people seem to. There aren't any plugins out there that are much more flexible.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

The library is nothing too exciting so you'll need to dig up some good IRs. That's maybe the one downside.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

With convolution reverb, the IR’s are what make it interesting more than the plugin / tool itself. Convolution reverb without interesting IR’s is boring and nothing special. It’s a matter of workflow preference I think. Some plugins are more suitable with the way you work in term of workflow.

I’d rather be more careful and picky with the IR’S than the plugin itself.

I tried many convolution reverbs and they pretty much do all the same thing at the end. The way to reach that is different on each tools though. Personally, I decided to pick and go with a very clean, simple but well-designed one, instead of a bloated complicated one. IR's do the rest of the job... 8)

Return to “Effects”