Izotope releases Neutron: "A smarter way to mix"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino Neutron 3 Standard

jens wrote:
plexuss wrote: Neutron has an EQ, 2 compressors, exciter and transient processors within the plugin.

Four, not five... ;)
Plus a limiter and the Neutrino mode. Six, not four ;)
(Seven if you include two compressors)

plexuss wrote:
jens wrote:
plexuss wrote: Neutron has an EQ, 2 compressors, exciter and transient processors within the plugin.

Four, not five... ;)
Hey jens. what do you mean?
Sorry, I f**ked the quote up - you wrote "The advanced version includes those 5 processors also as separate plugins." and I was referring to that - it is four seperate plugins - EQ, comp, exciter and transient processor
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

garryknight wrote:
jens wrote:

Four, not five... ;)
Plus a limiter and the Neutrino mode. Six, not four ;)
(Seven if you include two compressors)
See above - I was actually answering Plexuss' reply regarding the indivial plugins, which are four, while Plexuss said they were five.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

nirm123 wrote: calm down, don't get so angry when people prove you wrong, or just stay out of threads like this.
I prooved yoyu worng, dimwit - not the other way around - I start to wonder how you ever learnt to read and write (okay the former not really, but still)

calling me dimwit and doubt how I ever learnt to read and write, really, do you think it's necessary ?

jens, thank you for ruining an interesting debate with such personal, inappropriate, childish and foolish remarks.

"When they go low, we go high"
Last edited by nirm123 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My son was finished having a dump, so I had to type super quick to go and wipe his arse - what's your excuse for your dumbness?

(besides, you show off your level of maturity really nicely here :tu:)

Oh, are we starting to completely edit our posts now after someone replied to it? How nice!

Besides it was YOU who ruined the debate with you innane antics!

I really did my best to stay on the factual side - quite unlike you with you trashy posts.

What is the difference btween clicking on Track Assistant Vs Learning??
:hyper:

mementus wrote:What is the difference btween clicking on Track Assistant Vs Learning??
RTFM :D

Was experimenting with this and placed track assistant on every stem to see what it came up with and wow it's like magic. Didn't have to tweak a knob and the mix is perfect.

mementus wrote:What is the difference btween clicking on Track Assistant Vs Learning??
Track Assistant will listen to your track and select which processing types (EQ, compression, exciter, but not transient shaper) it will use and in which order; it then creates what it thinks are the best settings on each type.

The Learn button is present on all processing units that have multiband capabilities, i.e. the EQ, compressor, exciter, and transient shaper. It's enabled when more than one band is enabled. In the case of the EQ, clicking the Learn button while the track is playing will generate EQ points where it thinks there are frequency areas you might want to pay some attention to, e.g. where there is excessive resonance or harshness. In the case of the other units, it places the splits between the frequency bands where it thinks they should go, based on what it's hearing. Neutron won't make any other changes, so in all cases it's up to you what you do next.

I've been thinking more about the Masking feature, so I'll present my thoughts as a Tip for the Day.

That drop-down menu to the right of the Masking button allows you to view the EQ curve of any mixer/console channel that has an instance of Neutron on it. Even the Master channel. Now, suppose you're working on EQing your bass and you're listening to your entire mix to see how the bass sits in it. And you happen to notice that there's some harshness in the vocals.

You could make a note of this and remember to do something about it later. Or you could click the Masking button, bring up the EQ in the Neutron on the vocal bus, and deal with it then and there. Now you can go back to tweaking the bass.

And while your bass now sounds good with the EQ curve you've just applied, you want to roll off some bottom end on the Master channel. Just click the Masking button, bring up the EQ on the Master and roll it off straight away.

Neutron is even more awesome than it might appear at first.

FYI I found the webpage for the paper on masking iZotope presented at the AES. My AES membership expired when they raised the fee from $99 to $125 with no rationale for why it went up over 25%. The paper is $33US if you want to buy it.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18450

Quantitative Analysis of Masking in Multitrack Mixes Using Loudness Loss

The reduction of auditory masking is a crucial objective when mixing multitrack audio and is typically achieved through manipulation of gain, equalization, and/or panning for each stem in a mix. However, some amount of masking is unavoidable, acceptable, or even desirable in certain situations. Current automatic mixing approaches often focus on the reduction of masking in general, rather than focusing on particularly problematic masking. As a first step in focusing the attention of automatic masking reduction algorithms on problematic rather than known and accepted masking, we use psychoacoustic masking models to analyze multitrack mixes produced by experienced audio engineers. We measure masking in terms of loudness loss and present problematic masking as outliers (values above the 95th percentile) in instrument and frequency-dependent distributions.

Authors: Wichern, Gordon; Robertson, Hannah; Wishnick, Aaron
Affiliation: iZotope, Inc., Cambridge, MA, USA
AES Convention:141 (September 2016) Paper Number:9646
Publication Date:September 20, 2016 Import into BibTeX
Subject:Signal Processing
Permalink: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18450

garryknight wrote:I've been thinking more about the Masking feature, so I'll present my thoughts as a Tip for the Day.

[snip...]

Neutron is even more awesome than it might appear at first.
So what you are saying is you can use the masking feature to access the EQ on each track from one open instance of it instead of opening the EQ on each track. yes that is a good workflow optimization! thanks for the tip!

Return to “Effects”