TBProAudio releases mvMeter - Multivariable Meter including RMS, EBUR128, VU and PPM measurement for

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
mvMeter

Compyfox wrote:You could start with "standard" (14EUR, unless you have v1 already then the upgrade is free) then work your way up.
I hate you. You know why, cos you just made me buy it :D

Also, I read this over at gearslutz by you:
Because RMS meters (in the traditional sense) are not made for individual signals, but a signal sum (a full spectrum mix). The readouts will always shift compared to a VU. So if you try to level in a kick, you first have to determine if it's sustain heavy with a lot of bass, or fairly "clicky" with strong transients. If it's the former, use a VU and try to get the signal hovering between -1UV and +1VU. If it's the latter (transient heavy) use a PPM and shoot for 0dB PPM/DIN or if PPM is not your cup of tea, then not higher than -6dBFS digital peak max (on your hosts channel strip digital meter).
Which is excellent advice, thank you.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

If the meter is accurate (read: PSP Triple Meter, zplane PPMulator, Klanghelm VUMT, SleepyTimeDSP StereoMeter, ... )

And "oh crap... I've been found on another forum - gotta run". :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

You know, you could have just reported the issues like a normal grown-up person, instead of ranting like these generous people who made the plugin committed some kind of crime against you.

But you didn't, you acted like the pompous little asshole you are.

.jon wrote:You know, you could have just reported the issues like a normal grown-up person, instead of ranting like these generous people who made the plugin committed some kind of crime against you.

Ooooooh... second insult in this thread (for some of you it really seems to be personal - I don't even know you people!). I am (again) surprised that other users on KVR are not being insulted at all, or criticized about their tone (read what people recently wrote about Positive Grid?), yet I'm the "pompous little asshole". I should take that as a compliment.

You know what happened last time I tried to reach out to the developer? 3+ pages on "no, you're wrong, I don't get what you want from me" and from others "you're on a 'mission' - stop it" (I'm always on some sort of "mission", right?!). I even tried Email back in the day to get the issues sorted, I've yet to get an answer to my reports. But hey, v2 of dpMeter dropped under the radar and fixed most issues. So that's a good thing.

Still... this is an IMO bad clone (uncool to Klanghelm even) - and I've merely given feedback about this. Like I do on many, many other metering tools (it's my main work of expertise after all, and I do take closer looks under the hood of tools these days). If you want to use it, I won't hold you back. But it's far from being a good release, IMO!

EDIT:
Some stuff rephrased - with added quote for possible future reports (if the insults keep on coming, we can't be adult human beings for at least 5min it seems).

Also, I've yet to see an objective discussion and counter argument as to "where" I'm wrong with my measurements... Looks like nobody can do that, so why bark up my tree then?

EDIT2:
Should I "edit" the review post, to make it "less offensive" for the readers and the developer? Would that put your mind at ease? Still wouldn't change the fact on the wrong readouts and the way too obvious similar design/feature set though.
Last edited by Compyfox on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Keep going Compyfox, I for one have found your comments helpful.

I must confess to a pretty high level of ignorance about metering but it seems like Compyfox really knows his sh*t when it comes to the subject.

What I find puzzling is the developer not defending their product and apparently just ignoring the claims made by Compy. That leads me to believe that either he is right or the developer is wrong and knows it.... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

.jon wrote:You know, you could have just reported the issues like a normal grown-up person, instead of ranting like these generous people who made the plugin committed some kind of crime against you.

let's not start ok, no need for personal attacks.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Teksonik wrote:I must confess to a pretty high level of ignorance about metering but it seems like Compyfox really knows his sh*t when it comes to the subject.
Comes with 15+ years of experience... *cough* :tu:

Teksonik wrote:What I find puzzling is the developer not defending their product and apparently just ignoring the claims made by Compy.
What I find more puzzling is what I read at GearSlutz (a place that should see these problems at an instant). So far only positive feedback - but I guess Joe Normalguys are everywhere and the "general understanding" of metering tools is lost.

Not surprised at all if I browse through a random selection of music magazines while being at the news store.

Teksonik wrote:That leads me to believe that either he is right or the developer is wrong and knows it.... :?
If the developer knows it's wrong (the proof is there on page 1), and ignores to address the mentioned issues/criticism, that's even worse IMO.

Also, thanks for stepping in, Hink...

Hink wrote:

It's not an attack if he acts like an asshole. Which he does, end of story.

A claim to deliver a set standard in the industry is without NO argument a subject for factual based critic.
The developer here claims his product live up to a standard criteria, this is a claim to be the fact.
Any fact are subject to be question and shall be able to be proveen,if not the claim can't be defined as fact and thereby by defintion wrong. Just because something is free doesn't mean it have a "free get out of jail card",.

Critic/questions like Compyfox have presented here should be more than appreciated by any developer and it's users.

A practical function applies to any set standard or definition and are the reason we use them.
You can't use any knowledge or advice from ANY source if the definitions of things are aloud to differ. To make the point extremely obvious, you will not be able to get the desired result using a Hi-Shelf filter when a tutorial tells you to use a Lo-Shelf. This is why factual topics are important.

So with that in mind, anyone who wish to become more skillful no matter what the subject should be very protective of fact based context expressed on the forum and treat it with respect. If you don't like the presented facts you are aloud, well actually you are encouraged to prove them wrong. That's the whole point.

KVR front itself to be a community for hobbyist and professionals where people exchange knowledge. A place to get help when you need it, answers to your questions, tips and advice from people who have more knowledge and or wisdom on various matters.

If individuals subjective feelings are what we decide to protect and defend as the highest priority and thereby let people write nonsense and/or just express personal likes and dislikes anywhere no matter what the context is, well then KVR has lost all it's real value.

You all should be happy to see the pink elephant in the room, treat him well and he will reward you. Ignore him and he will make you pay for it sooner or later with his RPG7 Rocket Launcher of Ignorance.

There's no way around it, he is pink, and you know it.

.jon wrote:
Hink wrote:

It's not an attack if he acts like an asshole. Which he does, end of story.
Okay... kind of waited for this post.

If you can debunk me (or rather my test results) - then by all means, please do so and we might have an excellent, objective further discussion.

If you can't - then please stop derailing the thread and unnecessarily waste forum space for others that want to keep up with the conversation/narrative.

Insults will get you nowhere. Wise-cracking without suitable backup arguments either.

So... go ahead, debunk me.

Kr3eM wrote:A claim to deliver a set standard in the industry is without NO argument a subject for factual based critic.
The developer here claims his product live up to a standard criteria, this is a claim to be the fact.
Any fact are subject to be question and shall be able to be proveen,if not the claim can't be defined as fact and thereby by defintion wrong. Just because something is free doesn't mean it have a "free get out of jail card",.
First and foremost - excellent post.

Regarding "fact check"... how to test this type of equipment has been explained ad infinity in white papers (and I did so as well in many posts through recent years). Proper test tones, cross compare to other tools, some necessary spare time.

Plain simple testing takes you like 30-45 minutes if you're skilled in this area. Maybe up to 2 hours absolute max. More in-depth testing and fine tuning takes you way, way longer (example with VUMT's development - that was 2 years for this level of quality! Hence my question "how long was mvMeter in development?" and "why does this look eerily similar?!")

I won't be posting test tones and "how to's" just yet... As mentioned, the "standards"/rule set regarding testing and setup are existing for decades at this point. I want to see other people debunk me first (again: the test results), with their test ranges. If they can, then we can continue the conversation.

Everything else is a pissing contest IMO.

Kr3eM wrote:Critic/questions like Compyfox have presented here should be more than appreciated by any developer and it's users.
So far the developer ignores the criticism. And like usual, certain KVR users do step over the line though as they seem to have a personal problem with me or my posts (again, I don't even know them personally! And they're hiding behind an alias as well!). I guess this is why one of the Forum Mods already made it's way in here (by himself btw - I was waiting for more personal insults first).

Kr3eM wrote:So with that in mind, anyone who wish to become more skillful no matter what the subject should be very protective of fact based context expressed on the forum and treat it with respect. If you don't like the presented facts you are aloud, well actually you are encouraged to prove them wrong. That's the whole point.
This is where the debunking comes in.

Kr3eM wrote:KVR front itself to be a community for hobbyist and professionals where people exchange knowledge. A place to get help when you need it, answers to your questions, tips and advice from people who have more knowledge and or wisdom on various matters.
Er... some might think different - there is a rumor going around on KVR that the "community" is "not being professional" and "rather a hobby forum".

Yet those that want to share knowledge, or are "more critical than the average Joe" are treated like crap or considered "on a mission/vendetta/a pompous asshole/greedy/<insert more here>".

Am I glad we're not in the 90ies and early 2000s anymore where sharing knowledge in this realm wasn't really "desired" at all. Am I glad that we're past this elitism...

Oh wait... :scared:

Kr3eM wrote:There's no way around it, he is pink, and you know it.[/b]
Interesting picture. And I can definitely agree on your commentary.

The chess pieces are set - it's your turn (people)...

Oh come on. I wrote one "f*ck", and pointed out that this is an obvious rip-off to me (plugin design and nearly 1:1 copied features!), with the developer completely disregarding decade long existing standards (accuracy). This is why I'm completely baffled (or rather pissed off) why I'm not surprised that we have threads on KVR like every week "explain me metering tool xyz" - or why I'm being more and more contacted via Twitter and KVR PM about topics like this.

Does KVR need to be "political correct" now as well?
Do you/we need "save spaces"?!

Again - want an objective discussion about the topic and no pissing contest... debunk me.
It's that simple.

If you can't (or won't), you have to accept the posted results that this meter is not only offset (in other words: inaccurate) but also a more than obvious clone (down to the needle design of VUMT2 Deluxe!).

Can we stop wasting thread pages with going off on me for no other reason than to being hurt by your ego, say that I should just shut my pie hole (because you don't like my opinion) for once?!

Yeah... that'd be great.

Update to V1.0.1:
- manual updated
- Bug in EBU ML/SL pre-filtering: fixed
- Wrong VU meter timing: fixed
- RMS: changed to RMS avg and K-System
- AAX: crash during project load fixed

Compyfox wrote:... What are the ballistics of PPM/BBC and PPM/EBU? 10ms rise/2,8s fall to -24dB?
And why is it that the reference is 7? Unless -18dBFS = 4 (BBC) and/or TEST (EBU). Then that's still a 18dB jump from 4 to 7 (3dB) - something can't be right...
Thank you for your comments:
All meter ballistics can be found in the manual.

TB-ProAudio wrote:
Compyfox wrote:... What are the ballistics of PPM/BBC and PPM/EBU? 10ms rise/2,8s fall to -24dB?
And why is it that the reference is 7? Unless -18dBFS = 4 (BBC) and/or TEST (EBU). Then that's still a 18dB jump from 4 to 7 (3dB) - something can't be right...
Thank you for your comments:
All meter ballistics can be found in the manual.
Thanks for the update!

I don't really know most of the "wrong stuff" going on for this plugin, but does this new version fix all those bugs that Compyfox talked about? Or just some of them?
Last edited by heavymetalmixer on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”