Need Mastering Plugins For 70s Prog Rock Project

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
nordickvr wrote:...Anxious to hear were this will bring you musically.
Probably not as anxious as I am. This may be the most excited I've been about making music in a very long time.
This already looks darn good!
Last edited by nordickvr on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nordickvr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
nordickvr wrote:?..Anxious to hear were this will bring you musically.
Probably not as anxious as I am. This may be the most excited I've been about making music in a very long time.
This already looks darn good!
Well, I've got 45 years of listening experience behind me, so that helps. In addition to that, I don't have to worry about playing this stuff.

In fact, I just discovered a neat trick today that I don't know why I didn't think of sooner.

For those fast leads and bass lines that I have no prayer of playing? Here's what I can do. I can hit one note on the keyboard in time really fast. So all I do is tap out the rhythm of the lead or bass line on the one note and then, when I'm done, go back to the piano roll and move the notes to where they actually belong melody wise. And if I have to do any note overlapping, I can always alternate between two keys, like C and D. That way I still get the right overlapping even if the actual notes are wrong.

I used to try to just play this stuff until I discovered that I suck and flying up and down the keyboard. So I stopped trying to be Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman all in one.

It's cheating, but it's much easier this way and it sounds just as good.

Oh modern technology. lol.

Krezie wrote:Wagtunes, I think it's great you're pursuing a long time dream and taking it on this way.

To chip in a suggestion also... Here's an interview with Eddy Offord who was an engineer for Yes and ELP in the early days. Maybe it gives some more insight on the studio's used back then.

http://www.nfte.org/interviews/EO234.html
I meant to thank you for this. Not a lot of technical info but a fascinating read. What was most interesting, for me anyway, was that they really didn't have that much to work with back then. There was a lot of overdubbing and cutting and pasting and the equipment wasn't all that great. The engineer had as much to do with the band's sound as the band. In fact, in concerts, many parts were recorded because they couldn't physically play them live because they could only play one part at a time.

Definitely a fascinating interview.

You can probably buy the midi files for a lot of that stuff ...

I actually play guitar and bass as well as keyboards, but I'm not very fast or accurate on any of them. I seem to be abnormally deficient in the "fast twitch" nerve fibers which facilitate such playing. One thing I came up with is that for sixteenth note guitar playing, I'll just record it in clean at half speed, double the rate in Melodyne, and only then run it through an amp sim. Works pretty well! For MIDI it's even easier. Just slow the project tempo down to whatever you can comfortably handle, play the part in, edit the mistakes, and put the tempo back.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

thecontrolcentre wrote:You can probably buy the midi files for a lot of that stuff ...
That would be great if I were doing covers. But actually, what I'm doing is creating original tunes in the styles of the groups I'm emulating. So there's the extra challenge of actually writing something decent.

Like I said, I may fall flat on my face doing this, but I'm gonna have a hell of a lot of fun trying.

wagtunes wrote:Wouldn't something like Vintage Verb actually come in more handy?
Well, I thought it was that early to mid 70's prog sound you were after? Valhalla Vintage Verb emulates digital reverbs and there were no digital reverbs back then - only real rooms (studio-rooms and tiled rooms in the cellar below the studio), spring reverbs and plates. So you really gotta decide what it actually is that you want. Choosing the right reverb really makes A LOT of difference b.t.w. .
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Wouldn't something like Vintage Verb actually come in more handy?
Well, I thought it was that early to mid 70's prog sound you were after? Valhalla Vintage Verb emulates digital reverbs and there were no digital reverbs back then - only real rooms (studio-rooms and tiled rooms in the cellar below the studio), spring reverbs and plates. So you really gotta decide what it actually is that you want. Choosing the right reverb really makes A LOT of difference b.t.w. .
Ah, gotcha. So then the plate is more what I need to emulate the early 70s sound?

Yes. Maybe Valhalla Room in addition to simulate real rooms if you need it - or go with IR for that...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Another small tip for you is that you should try to get a 70's vibe going as you are recording and mixing. Maybe a lava lamp and some 70's era clothes like this would help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Another small tip for you is that you should try to get a 70's vibe going as you are recording and mixing. Maybe a lava lamp and some 70's era clothes like this would help?
I'm still wearing my 70s clothes.

wagtunes wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:Another small tip for you is that you should try to get a 70's vibe going as you are recording and mixing. Maybe a lava lamp and some 70's era clothes like this would help?
Cool! That's solid!

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:?..Maybe a lava lamp and some 70's era clothes like this would help?
Album cover covered.

nordickvr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:?..Maybe a lava lamp and some 70's era clothes like this would help?
Album cover covered.
You do NOT want my face on the cover of an album. I'll just take a picture of the clothes and stick that on the front.

wagtunes wrote:You do NOT want my face on the cover of an album.
After a short moment of thought, you're probably right. :hihi:

There is a solution though, you could use photoshop. The possibilities are endless. You have all kinds of facial attribute repair techniques ranging from Mr. Potatohead to Brad Pitt. Choice is yours.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Effects”