Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

I just think it will be a bigger PIA for you to keep track of all the different DAWs and versions - and update the plugin(s) accordingly ;-)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote:I just think it will be a bigger PIA for you to keep track of all the different DAWs and versions - and update the plugin(s) accordingly ;-)
There are special cases like this already throughout the code base, so it's not a biggy, especially if there is an easy options like "allow dynamic latency for this DAW" somewhere that they can check / uncheck as needed.

For instance Sonar used to have this bug where if you said you only processed single precision floating point numbers they would pass you double precision numbers anyway (thanks!), and that would crash any plugin since a function is being called on the plugin interface with incorrect data and will crash by definition. I added a helper to test if Sonar is the host and then tell sonar that yes I did indeed want double precision buffers passed to me, and then turn them all into floats, process as normal, then turn them back again - this was the only way I could think of fixing things since at a later stage I knew they would finally fix the issue, and then if I expected the wrong thing the plugin would crash because it was finally getting the right thing!

The guys at Cakewalk swore black and blue that this was not a bug in Sonar even when I told them exactly what the bug most likely was, but in the mean time I've got a bunch of customers complaining The Glue is buggy and crashing in Sonar, so it's just easier to go with the flow and work around all the crap that is thrown at the plugin and deal with it in an automated a way as possible so people can just get on and make music. For the record is was exactly as I guessed and if you look back in the change log you will see they finally admitted it and fixed it (double precision buffers being passed to the external sidechain input of plugins that specifically tell the host they do not support double precision buffers!). I think the DAWs may have a harder time of it since there are way more dodgy plugins than dodgy hosts, but it's often very difficult to get a bug in a DAW fixed.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Oh well, I'm looking forward to th e"1.0" release of this anyway ;-)

I can be a "SONAR checker" for you - if you want. Just PM me and I'll send you my email address ;-)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Anyone have tips for making this pedal more neutral in terms of EQ / frequencies?

I often want to just get the distortion side of this baby out, without all the honk and muff - is that even possible or is the distortion tied to the spectrum?

Have a quick look at these (can't rememvber if they're already posted):

http://www.muzique.com/lab/fatt.htm

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/T ... sxfram.htm

The component labels may not correspond to those used in the plugin

Liero wrote:Anyone have tips for making this pedal more neutral in terms of EQ / frequencies?

I often want to just get the distortion side of this baby out, without all the honk and muff - is that even possible or is the distortion tied to the spectrum?
Hi Liero,

You can configure The Scream to do exactly what you want. I've done a preset called "Mix - Wide Drive.tsp" which sets the default gain to 0 dB (ie the driven sound gets added to the input sound at equal volume) and wide filters to remove the hump in the drive, and also raised the post drive low pass filter to make the tone knob at 50% be neutral. To add more distortion increase the drive knob, and this will also increase the overall volume.

https://cytomic.com/files/scream-beta-presets-2.zip

There is another preset called "Mix - Presence.tsp" which does the same thing but still includes the drive high pass filter, so only the 700 hz and above range is boosted and distorted (although there are multiple stages of subtle drive and dc blocking applied to everything because of the rest of the signal chain).

Perfect, thanks so much! <3

Hi Andy,

I've tested your plugins on Bitwig Linux (using this trick https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave) and it's working great.
No performance issues or graphic glitches :party:

btw, did you have any plan for native Linux version?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have some presets that get close to Ram’s Head or Soviet Big Muff tones? Loving this plugin!

dangayle wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have some presets that get close to Ram’s Head or Soviet Big Muff tones? Loving this plugin!
This plugin doesn't really do fuzz tones, but there's another dedicated fuzz pedal plugin on the horizon. This according to Andy - timeline is unclear though.

BTW The Scream is slowly but surely turning out to be my #1 plugin of 2017. Particularly with the more neutral mix presets there's just nothing that can't benefit from a little Scream - I'm using it all over the place and it sounds bonkers mad good. Can't recommend highly enough.

Please everyone throw more money at Cytomic so we can get more of this stuff.

Liero wrote:This plugin doesn't really do fuzz tones, but there's another dedicated fuzz pedal plugin on the horizon. This according to Andy - timeline is unclear though.

BTW The Scream is slowly but surely turning out to be my #1 plugin of 2017. Particularly with the more neutral mix presets there's just nothing that can't benefit from a little Scream - I'm using it all over the place and it sounds bonkers mad good. Can't recommend highly enough.

Ok, that's good to know. I'm not conversant enough with the electronics to know if it was possible to get close enough. I've played with it a bit, but it's all experimentation.

re23071998 wrote:Hi Andy,

I've tested your plugins on Bitwig Linux (using this trick https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave) and it's working great.
No performance issues or graphic glitches :party:

btw, did you have any plan for native Linux version?
No plans at the moment for a Linux version at the moment, sorry!

Liero wrote:
dangayle wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have some presets that get close to Ram’s Head or Soviet Big Muff tones? Loving this plugin!
This plugin doesn't really do fuzz tones, but there's another dedicated fuzz pedal plugin on the horizon. This according to Andy - timeline is unclear though.

Thanks for the kudos Liero! If you're using multiple copies of The Scream then I've got some good news in that the maths for the low cpu mode is well underway. It will model the input and output buffers, the drive diodes and the clipping of the first op-amp, but not some of the more advanced features like the non-linear capacitance of the drive diodes or slew rate limiting of the op-amp. For most applications there will hopefully not be much audible difference. There will be an "HD on render" option, like there is with The Drop, so you can preview with fixed and low cpu usage and then automatically switch to the full detail on bounces / freezes :tu:

As Liero has pointed some fuzz emulations are on the way, but The Scream is a completely different circuit to those so it's not possible to tweak some component values of The Scream and get anything close in terms of tone. The Scream does cover most common mods and popular variations based on the Boss SD-1 and Ibanez TS808 type circuits.

andy-cytomic wrote:As Liero has pointed some fuzz emulations are on the way, but The Scream is a completely different circuit to those so it's not possible to tweak some component values of The Scream and get anything close in terms of tone. The Scream does cover most common mods and popular variations based on the Boss SD-1 and Ibanez TS808 type circuits.
That's cool. My favorite pedal was my old Muff clone, hand made by some fellow in Victoria, BC. Just the right amount of nastiness, didn't kill the bass tone from my Les Paul, drove every pedal after it into fits of hysteria. (Oh, you like the digital noises from a Whammy? Put a muff in front of it, lol).

Never gelled with a 808-style pedal, too much midrange honk, but The Scream has been great. Wish I had a pedal that was as easily modded.

Return to “Effects”