New things from Unfiltered Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

martinjuenke wrote:IMO Unfiltered Audio presets are poor stuff. Similar to u-he UHBIK presets. Rarely useable, cryptic description, over the top.
I think this is more of a reflection on the nature of the plugins than the quality of the presets, though. Spec Ops can be very complex, especially with modulation. In a lot of cases, settings are going to be highly dependent on what you feed it -- the frequency ranges, timing, how much space there is in your track in general, etc. I see the presets as just demos.

I use a modular synth and unpatch 100% between recordings, so let's just say I'm not a big preset fan. But I still found a few Uhbik presets useful.

Presswerk actually has some of my favorite presets, which seems surprising on a compressor. There are a couple of them that "just work" for me as a last step in mastering, literally without adjusting anything, and I always A/B compare to see if either of them automatically improves my sound.

Well, everyone will be happy to know that we've hired a preset designer through Plugin Alliance who will create about 150 or so more traditional presets. So far, I've created nearly 100 that barely use the modulation system, so they're all quite straightforward.

People are really into making BYOME presets, which is a great sign. Ivo submitted over 70, ignatius provided over 40, etc. We're spending a lot of time organizing the presets and making them all NKS-friendly, so I think that this will be our most immediately usable plugin by a mile.

thelizard wrote:Well, everyone will be happy to know that we've hired a preset designer through Plugin Alliance who will create about 150 or so more traditional presets. So far, I've created nearly 100 that barely use the modulation system, so they're all quite straightforward.

People are really into making BYOME presets, which is a great sign. Ivo submitted over 70, ignatius provided over 40, etc. We're spending a lot of time organizing the presets and making them all NKS-friendly, so I think that this will be our most immediately usable plugin by a mile.
Thanks! Good message! :clap:

dangayle wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
dangayle wrote:I'm still trying to understand the fondness everyone has for SpecOps. I love glitching stuff out, but SpecOps just seems to smoosh everything out, like the smudge tool in Photoshop. I really need to hear it in context.
The glitchy top line starting at 2.43 is all SpecOps. It was simply a high passed drum loop into an automated SpecOps.
https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/twisted-poetry
Cool. I can definitely see the use in that. I do appreciate that style, although I make techno more around 124bpm :)
If you make techno you should be in love with SpecOps - it's a one-stop techno powerhouse! I do lean more to the dusty dub techno side of things though where all the little glitches/artifacts/transient smearing are desired rather than a byproduct to be suppressed though.

One of my main use cases for SpecOps is adding vaguely related harmonic information in different parts of the spectrum. I usually run it on a parallel layer and eq quite heavily just to get the additional spectral content I'm after. Got a cool drum loop with a nice rhythm but not quite enough sub? SpecOps, abuse the various pitch shifting algorithms, experiment with window size until you've got a good balance between transient retention & not too much of the 'comb filter'/tonal type artifacts you get from small window sizes. Likewise if you're looking to add some high end clarity or dirt.

I usually follow up with the usual kind of processing (saturation, compression, filtering etc.) to glue the new layer to the original sound.

Edit.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Hez wrote:
dangayle wrote:Cool. I can definitely see the use in that. I do appreciate that style, although I make techno more around 124bpm :)
If you make techno you should be in love with SpecOps - it's a one-stop techno powerhouse! I do lean more to the dusty dub techno side of things though where all the little glitches/artifacts/transient smearing are desired rather than a byproduct to be suppressed though.

One of my main use cases for SpecOps is adding vaguely related harmonic information in different parts of the spectrum. I usually run it on a parallel layer and eq quite heavily just to get the additional spectral content I'm after. Got a cool drum loop with a nice rhythm but not quite enough sub? SpecOps, abuse the various pitch shifting algorithms, experiment with window size until you've got a good balance between transient retention & not too much of the 'comb filter'/tonal type artifacts you get from small window sizes. Likewise if you're looking to add some high end clarity or dirt.

I usually follow up with the usual kind of processing (saturation, compression, filtering etc.) to glue the new layer to the original sound.
That's really cool to hear, I never thought about using it that way. I was just sticking a drum loop or a synth into it and flipping through a ton of presets at 100% mix.

Maybe that‘s my fault when judging the presets as well: I used them too wet...

Presets are meant to be used as they are, otherwise they would make different settings.

That's my opinion anyway

phoneyk wrote:Presets are meant to be used as they are, otherwise they would make different settings.

That's my opinion anyway
Presets are merely the plugin equivalent of serving suggestions.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Any news about Unfiltered Audio Biome release?

luidgiportela wrote:Any news about Unfiltered Audio Biome release?
Never heard of Biome from Unfiltered Audio... Interesting!! What is it ?

We are targeting a September 21st release date! So far, things are looking good.

What is Biome!? Any cues or hints? :hyper: :D

Build Your Own Multi-Effect, I believe. Sort of like Spec-Ops but non-spectral effects modules and more flexible.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Thanks!! Looking forward to it, because of course it’s Unfiltered Audio! :P

Return to “Effects”