Barricade 4.1.0 has been released :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Barricade v4

I'm not one for pushing masters loud, there's a balance to be found between limiting peaks and retaining dynamics. Perhaps that's why i've always favoured barricade over things like ozone's maximizer. I've always found when the signal exceeds the limit barricade favours the drums, whereas others tend to suppress the drums.

I've been A/Bing between the two. The natural algorithm sounds like an improvement over the B3 algo, I've not really used intensify as i'm not looking for hard limiting. The most significant difference really is the attack/release characteristic, that's where the learning curve lies for me at the moment. Previously, the settings went from 0 to 1s, in this case they go from 10ms to 100ms. They certainly have a more pronounced effect on the limiter action now too.

Just wondering how much gain reduction you guys are considering as being heavy?

I'm really liking the new Barricade update, great work, Jeroen!

I'm usually in the 1-3db (1.5 to 2 mostly) range with Limitless. Would consider anything 4 or 5db and over on a master as quite heavy. You want to try and get most of your volume and density prior to limiting so you don't have to do more than a few db.

I'm going to do some Barricade 4 vs Limitless comparisons at some point :)

I'm usually in the 1-3db (1.5 to 2 mostly) range with Limitless. Would consider anything 4 or 5db and over on a master as quite heavy. You want to try and get most of your volume and density prior to limiting so you don't have to do more than a few db.
Thanks, words can be vague so getting some numbers helps to get a better reference.

I'm not going by gain reduction, I'm going by average signal strength (what some might call "loudness").

If I shoot for -12dB RMS on average (so -8dB RMS on max), then I try to let the compressor/limiter array run as subtle as possible, only clip off the peaks, barely interfere with the "average" signal. Here the reduction (depending on the transients) can be anything between 3-10dB. If it's only transients, that's still fine. If more than transients are reduced that strong (5-10dB constantly) - then it's riding the "loudness war" wave.

Mostly these days, i try to shoot for -14dB avg (RMS or even LUFS) as "loud enough", which is barely clipping off the signal peaks.

If a client asks to go "apesh*t loud" (which makes absolutely no sense these days anymore), I'm not using Barricade...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Obviously this is genre dependent, but i tend to think in terms of the ReplayGain (Foobar) reduction of the final product. For most stuff, i find somewhere between -8dB and -10db perfectly listenable (i'll let someone else work that out in LUFS). Anything more is getting too close to the loudness war territory.

Using a lot of transient boosters, i can often see Barricade hitting some serious reduction at times, but these are rare cases. I'm noticing that B4's reduction meter seems to be inconsistent with B3 (what previously may have been -1db, is now registering as -3db). I'm guessing this is to do with it registering the ISP on the input.

Very good!
Bought it now after using the old free version for a long time.
The transparent mode works well for my taste :tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Just bought Barricade 4! I think I finally found a limiter that will replace my beloved LimiterNo.6.
The gui is beautiful as well. Well done Toneboosters!!!

Would anyone know if there is an upgrade path from version 3 (part of the Bus Tools) to version 4?

I would like to upgrade in that way tooo...

Return to “Effects”