What's your go-to Master Limiter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to use Vienna Suite on the master bus for 'Overload Protection' just below 0dB.
Once I didn't bother, but then I copied the project file and added it, compared, and I liked the transients which I was limiting quite a lot better. Not saying never, but currently I don't think so.
I have fairly dynamic music and the things which would top 0dB are made to saturate rather than a dead clip, as far as I can tell.

Switched to Limitless and haven't looked back - sometimes in combo with Pro-L, sharing a little of the burden. The clipper in Limitless is awesome too for that last drop of RMS power and sheen, with 64x oversampling on render - not to mention the high pass filter that digs deep (1hz).

chk071 wrote:Just wondering, but, do you guys have a good recommendation for a free brickwall limiter? I typically use the DAW incluced ones, but, not sure if those are really fast enough...
Maxwell Smart is a fine free brickwall limiter, TLs Pocket Limiter is another one.

@OP
Another vote for DMG Audio TrackLimit if you want to buy one.
It's easy if you know how

DMG stuff seems to be mentioned quite a bit.... What are the main differences between Limitless & TrackLimit (other than price of course)?

Hooj wrote:DMG stuff seems to be mentioned quite a bit.... What are the main differences between Limitless & TrackLimit (other than price of course)?
I would say ease of use and lower CPU consumption. Sonically Limitless is better, being multiband, but TrackLimit is pretty close and does a fantastic job compared to other limiters which are usually double its price or are even more expensive than that.
It's easy if you know how

Here's some insider info ;) Waves De Esser has a soft clipper on the output - just use a gain plugin to drive into it - it won't go over 0 and you can get some serious volume out of it. Sounds near identical to the T Racks soft clipper when it's set to somewhere on the hard clip side of the dial.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:Here's some insider info ;) Waves De Esser has a soft clipper on the output
There´s no soft clipper, that´s the result of truncation. The Waves De-esser is 24 bit integer...

soulone82 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Here's some insider info ;) Waves De Esser has a soft clipper on the output
There´s no soft clipper, that´s the result of truncation. The Waves De-esser is 24 bit integer...
Ah ok, that's interesting. I stumbled across it today by accident and I got it to virtually null with the T Racks clipper.

soulone82 wrote:

So then, almost any old waves plugin?

ghettosynth wrote:
soulone82 wrote:

So then, almost any old waves plugin?
C1 comp-gate also does. Interestingly not the other versions of C1 though.

do_androids_dream wrote:Here's some insider info ;) Waves De Esser has a soft clipper on the output - just use a gain plugin to drive into it - it won't go over 0 and you can get some serious volume out of it. Sounds near identical to the T Racks soft clipper when it's set to somewhere on the hard clip side of the dial.
Bet it aliases like a mofo at 44.1k - I know the T-Racks clipper does!

Toneboosters!

Shit, Avid Maxim is great for pushing things loud. Ideal for electronic. It's ceiling seems to work better than Ozone. I dont know if anyone else has had the same issue with Ozone maximizer...the transient peaks break open the ceiling, you try and plaster it but then rain leaks through.

Kinh wrote:Shit, Avid Maxim is great for pushing things loud. Ideal for electronic. It's ceiling seems to work better than Ozone. I dont know if anyone else has had the same issue with Ozone maximizer...the transient peaks break open the ceiling, you try and plaster it but then rain leaks through.
I've never been impressed with any Izotope limiters. They all seem to sound grainy and flat when pushed, where others still retain transients and stereo image.

Kinh wrote:Shit, Avid Maxim is great for pushing things loud. Ideal for electronic. It's ceiling seems to work better than Ozone. I dont know if anyone else has had the same issue with Ozone maximizer...the transient peaks break open the ceiling, you try and plaster it but then rain leaks through.
Is True Peak Limiting enabled?

FWIW, Ozone 7´s maximizer is my go-to limiter since its release. IRC IV in transient mode is the smoothest limiter I´ve ever heard!
Last edited by soulone82 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”