Clipper in mastering chain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you use ReaComp or another digital compressor that allows you to go to extremes in the same way, you can play with the borders between a clipper and a limiter. I do this sometimes to get different flavors of distortion.

Set RMS time, attack, and release to 0. Set the ratio to infinity. You now have a hard clipper. You can make it a soft clipper by adding some soft knee, or make it some strange aggressive distortion by slightly increasing the attack and/or release time.

If you turn on "classic attack" and auto release in ReaComp, turn the knee up a lot, lower the ratio, and turn the release high enough to eliminate as much distortion as possible (usually still 100ms or less), you get 1176-ish behavior. This behavior sounds best with oversampling (AA) enabled at around 8x. It's some secret sauce.

+1 ClipShifter paid version is great. Takes seconds to setup and sounds nigh invisible. Hardly need to mess with anything else, just lower the ceiling, set the oversample and done. The visual display shows you exactly what's going on.

Maybe i'm way off base but aren't there 2 types of "clippers" one is Distortion the other is suppose to be unhearable

the type of Clipper i,m tlking about is
supposed to impose a ceiling to your peaks

so it would make sense to put it Right last
in the Dynamic FX chain after a Limiter

and isn't Dither just a bunch of Noise so that when u convert 24 bit to 16 bit the Low-Low volume don't just get chopped off ?
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Any EETA ?

I guess in the perfect world, mastering engineers wouldn't have to use clippers in mastering.
Or even limiters in some cases, with the exception of taming some excessive peaks.

But the world is far from perfect. :hihi:
And now mastering engineers basically have to print out pictures with the brightness turned way up for people in a dark room to be able to see the pictures.
Because the people are - for some reason - not able to turn up the lights.

The tip about ReaComp by nineofkings is great, btw. :tu:
It's a very versatile plugin.

Return to “Effects”