Positive Grid giving away their Pro Series EQs free for 24 hours

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

alteregoxxx wrote:uhmm...I really don't understand so much hate and bashing towards a company that, even counting all the issues they have with the GUI/activation of their plugins, are giving them away for free... :scared:

Moreover, it seems NOBODY is judging them for what counts more than all: the sound quality.
Honestly, their tube eq, in my opinion, is a really good sounding and "musical" eq.

Their customer support, to me too, seems good. They gave an immediate feedback on the issue I had with the activation. Less than half an hour for a feedback.

THANK YOU PositiveGrid for the freewares.
The tube EQ distorts badly immediately at default settings. You seriously think that sounds good?

Also, you don't find it a bit immoral to sell completely broken plugins at relatively high prices to people?

Frankly, I don't understand the "they gave me something free so lets just be super thankful" mentality at all. It's completely bizarre in my opinion. I'm constantly surprised when I'm reminded that there are people with this viewpoint in the world. Imagine if all facets of life worked like this? Yes yes.. make horrible products/politics/whatever.. but I'll praise you and thank you if you give me "gifts".

Seriously. Weird world view in my opinion.

These plugins are bugged beyond belief. Almost to the point of "scamming" people who don't know better, out of their money.

Also, if their support is so good, why on earth can't they then actually fix the damn plugins? It's been more than 2 years since their first VST plugin release and nothing has been done to it. Still the same exact issues. I just don't get it. It's in definitely in the top 3 "weirdly run companies" list of all time, in plugin-land.

Finally, you are WRONG about the judging about their sound quality. No idea why you completely disregard the fact that several people have actually praised many of their plugin's SOUND, me included. But sound quality is worthless if the plugin itself is so badly done that it can't be used reliably.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: The tube EQ distorts badly immediately at default settings. You seriously think that sounds good?

Also, you don't find it a bit immoral to sell completely broken plugins at relatively high prices to people?

Frankly, I don't understand the "they gave me something free so lets just be super thankful" mentality at all. It's completely bizarre in my opinion. I'm constantly surprised when I'm reminded that there are people with this viewpoint in the world. Imagine if all facets of life worked like this? Yes yes.. make horrible products/politics/whatever.. but I'll praise you and thank you if you give me "gifts".

These plugins are bugged beyond belief. Almost to the point of "scamming" people who don't know better, out of their money.

Also, if their support is so good, why on earth can't they then actually fix the damn plugins? It's been more than 2 years since their first VST plugin release and nothing has been done to it. Still the same exact issues. I just don't get it. It's in definitely in the top 3 "weirdly run companies" list of all time, in plugin-land.

Finally, you are WRONG about the judging about their sound quality. No idea why you completely disregard the fact that several people have actually praised many of their plugin's SOUND, me included. But sound quality is worthless if the plugin itself is so badly done that it can't be used reliably.

Hey man Nice Shot! Free offer is gone, no more!
Tube sounds really nice but only on 12AT7, and who cares for Default settings?
I mixed 7 songs in these two days, and no problems at all. Yes GUI is like Google Chrome web browser, but anyway job is done. I would like to be perfect because I never heard such transparent Pultec on native platform.

However life is going on, trains are passing, we are somewhere else to hear this song: Hey Man Nice Shot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bq8-ZszK1o

Den* wrote:
Hey man Nice Shot! Free offer is gone, no more!
And if you read the title of this thread you'll know why...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Haha yeah. No I'm sure it's because of me. Yes.. that's definitely it. :lol:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: The tube EQ distorts badly immediately at default settings. You seriously think that sounds good?
Default? What is default for you?
PositiveGrid, as all the plugins makers that intend to emulate/model "saturation" of real electronic circuits, are OBLIGED to reasonably "choose" a dBfs "treshold" where the plugin starts to saturate...a real hardware has a "threshold" at a certain voltage determined by the specific circuit, in the digital world you have to "associate" that voltage to a certain dBfs... If my default is recording tracks at -12dBfs and yours are at -3dBfs and PositiveGrid have chosen -12dBfs has the "hot point", I'll be good, you'll overload the plugins, that's what input and output slider are intended for...
bmanic wrote: Also, you don't find it a bit immoral to sell completely broken plugins at relatively high prices to people?
Sure, who sai it's not? Me? No no...
bmanic wrote: Frankly, I don't understand the "they gave me something free so lets just be super thankful" mentality at all. It's completely bizarre in my opinion. I'm constantly surprised when I'm reminded that there are people with this viewpoint in the world. Imagine if all facets of life worked like this? Yes yes.. make horrible products/politics/whatever.. but I'll praise you and thank you if you give me "gifts".
Seriously.
Weird world view in my opinion.
Are you serious, again? Too much time spent on compressor/eq testing? :)
What gifts/freewares and politics/paid products have in common? I say you: absolutely nothing.

If I BUY a product that is supposed to work in a certain way and it doesn't, for sure I've the rights to express my disappointment and demand for my money back and, whitin certain limits, bashing it too if it's customer service don't care for my issue.
If it's a gift, you have to be thankful, sure! Why not? It's a gift! You donìt like their business model/marketing/GUI/modeling etc etc? don't download their gift! You do like their gift but you want to help them making better plugins? Give them educated and constructive suggestions, if they don't listen, well they'll lose a great opportunity, and a potential customer, that's all.
bmanic wrote: These plugins are bugged beyond belief. Almost to the point of "scamming" people who don't know better, out of their money.
bmanic wrote: Finally, you are WRONG about the judging about their sound quality. No idea why you completely disregard the fact that several people have actually praised many of their plugin's SOUND, me included. But sound quality is worthless if the plugin itself is so badly done that it can't be used reliably.
5 pages with 90% of bashing comments vs 10% of them talking about their sounds have distracted me, really sorry...

bmanic wrote:
alteregoxxx wrote:uhmm...I really don't understand so much hate and bashing towards a company that, even counting all the issues they have with the GUI/activation of their plugins, are giving them away for free... :scared:

Moreover, it seems NOBODY is judging them for what counts more than all: the sound quality.
Honestly, their tube eq, in my opinion, is a really good sounding and "musical" eq.

Their customer support, to me too, seems good. They gave an immediate feedback on the issue I had with the activation. Less than half an hour for a feedback.

THANK YOU PositiveGrid for the freewares.
The tube EQ distorts badly immediately at default settings. You seriously think that sounds good?

1+ bmanic :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

alteregoxxx wrote:
bmanic wrote: Frankly, I don't understand the "they gave me something free so lets just be super thankful" mentality at all. It's completely bizarre in my opinion. I'm constantly surprised when I'm reminded that there are people with this viewpoint in the world. Imagine if all facets of life worked like this? Yes yes.. make horrible products/politics/whatever.. but I'll praise you and thank you if you give me "gifts".
Seriously.
Weird world view in my opinion.

If it's a gift, you have to be thankful, sure! Why not? It's a gift! You donìt like their business model/marketing/GUI/modeling etc etc? don't download their gift! You do like their gift but you want to help them making better plugins? Give them educated and constructive suggestions, if they don't listen, well they'll lose a great opportunity, and a potential customer, that's all.
I don't view promos as "gifts." When I give someone a gift I don't expect anything in return. Not everything that you get for free is a gift that deserves the thanks you seem to think that it does.

Promos are an exchange. You get a free product or discount in exchange for your marketing information, permission to engage, and time and attention paid to said product in the vendors hope that it will lead to future sales.

Here's the reality: For every person that complains on KVR about issues there are dozens who just say "what the f**k is this shit," uninstall the product, and forget about the vendor. Paying attention to those grumpy enough to say things out loud can give you needed insight. So, in a sense, ANY feedback is more of a "gift" to the vendor than the promo was to the customer.

I don't care whether I get a product for free, or I pay full price, that will not factor into any criticism, only how I feel about the purchase. If I think the GUI sucks, then I think that it sucks no matter the price I paid. If it was free, ok, but I still think that it sucks and I'll remember it when you want my money.

So, if you don't like the heat, find a different kitchen.

I quite like them. I don't hear the distortion that bmaniac mentioned (but that's not to say it's isn't distorting, I just don't hear it but I do see lots of harmonics).

The UI is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to rendering properly, they need to address that for sure.

Would I pay $60 or whatever for these? Nope, but I got them for free, I like them, they do what I want them to do. I'm just a hobbyist so nobody will ever judge my music or my mixing skills (or lackof!). I do this for fun, simple as that.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I like their bias line, but really, throwing an alpha product and acting like it's an act of kindness is too much. They'd rather just say "help us test this plugin"

Registration method is unorthodox though I did not have any problems doing so.

They sound good, CPU usage is good, the EQ workflow is good. Match is nice to have, but it always seems to follow Fletcher-Munson no matter what I put through it.

They don't expose ANY of the parameters through the VST API which is really weird, especially since you can successfully manually modulate them. I hit the "UI" button in Reaper and there's absolutely nothing to configure. So I can't automate it, nor can I save native presets. The settings do save as part of a project, though.

I'm not getting the distortion described, and the input/output sliders on the bottom do work for me.

The skeuomorphism is cute, but the knobs are severely aliased at certain angles, and there is a noticeable delay in rendering. If you're going to do this type of thing, do it right.

I honestly would not pay for this and it makes all of their offerings very questionable. You can have solid DSP but there are some extremely basic expectations that just aren't met. Steinberg put parameter exposure in the spec for a reason.

Really, these are more presets than actual plugins IMHO. Just sayin.

What in the world is this??
pg.png
Whenever I start my daw this process starts up. I traced it to Live Plugin process and that is tied to Positive Grids TUBE EQ!!??

Even when I close the daw, this process is still running.

Even when I close it from task manager, this process starts back up and still runs!!!

Having daw crashes and crashing over a remote desktop connection too.

N O T C O O L!!!

Instant Uninstall and never dealing with PG again......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun May 21, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2017/05 ... ent-228446
HOWEVER: the GUI is absolutely horrible in terms of CPU and RAM usage i.e. performance. They used CEF, the Google Chromium framework, which pretty much boils down to running a stripped down version of Google Chrome for the GUI elements, which is completely unnecessary for this kind of GUI . To give you guys an idea: I’ve done a couple of tests and the GUI alone of one Positive Grid plugin uses about as much CPU and RAM as the other 20-something EQ and compressor plugins in my project combined. For some reason they also used OpenGL/DirectX for additional rendering purposes, though I haven’t figured out what for exactly. Perhaps the dynamic graphs?

My advice is to take this into consideration if you don’t have a very powerful CPU, as the numerous CEF processes needed per plugin very quickly eat away at your CPU cycles, which are very much needed already by all the DSP going on in your average project :)

Luckily this is an excellent chance to see if your system can handle this extra overhead for free!
A little extra info: Your DAW must also be online and connected to the net, there is no offline registration and no plans to offer it. Which probably explains why they use Chrome as a GUI. This is no good for me, when I asked the question, they gave me advise on how to connect my DAW to the internet.. Lol.. I’m probably in a minority these days but it might save somebody else wasting their time.
It's easy if you know how

Touch The Universe wrote:Guys. What in the world is this??
pg.png
Whenever I start my daw this process starts up. I traced it to Live Plugin process and that is tied to Positive Grids TUBE EQ!!??

Even when I close the daw, this process is still running.

Even when I close it from task manager, this process starts back up and still runs!!!

Having daw crashes and crashing over a remote desktop connection too.

N O T C O O L!!!

Instant Uninstall and never dealing with PG again......
Another reason to avoid it like the plague.
It's easy if you know how

pekbro wrote:Really, these are more presets than actual plugins IMHO. Just sayin.
But you can create your own presets, as with any other EQ.

However when loading a saved project the correct preset is loaded but the display curves do not not display the correct settings of the knob positions.

Eg
I created a preset with Bass set to normal peak but when relaoding the plugin the Bass is still set to normal peak but the display is showing the curve for the high shelf.

Switching between the DAW/plugin GUI and some other program's GUI causes the knobs to no longer respond to the mouse, only the power switchs tube drop down list work.

After this the DAW and plugin GUI froze and both unresponsive.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”