Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah... "Why?" Or what is the given context??

After all, how long is a piece of string??

chk071 wrote:For saturation, i like Softube Saturation Knob. For distortion, i found out that i really like RP-Distort. Most of my synths onboard saturation fx are pretty decent too.
Agreed, most synths have staple distortion and only need subtle dusting of further saturation to bring out another 10% sheen. That's why I'm a fan of Reviver :tu:

cron wrote:"...and why?"
When you're right, you're right. :tu:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Everglide wrote:
chk071 wrote:For saturation, i like Softube Saturation Knob. For distortion, i found out that i really like RP-Distort. Most of my synths onboard saturation fx are pretty decent too.
Agreed, most synths have staple distortion and only need subtle dusting of further saturation to bring out another 10% sheen. That's why I'm a fan of Reviver :tu:
Omnisphere's distortion/saturation options are particularly good. I wish they'd release a version that allowed audio in. Great effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Fair enough, for the why on the airwindows processes: free, clean, light on cpu, no gui and they do exactly one thing. Sometimes i reach for Trash2 because of its presets, the combination of filters, distortion and convolution (or an algo-cab like in Amp) makes the distortion shine. But usually i do this myself, grab a multi-band, stuff some simple distortion processes in there and go to town.
Tearing Riots wrote:Airwindows: Drive, HighImpact, Loud, Density, Fracture, PowerSag. Best if you have something to build parallel/multiband chains with it.

Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...

chk071 wrote:Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...
Word
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

SDRR is fantastic and has a wide sweet spot. Definitely my favorite. I found the Softube Saturation Knob to be a little brittle on some sources if driven too hard. The other ones I use A LOT are the Kush Omega N and Omega A "preamps," but the A is very source dependent and works best in small doses. Sounds great on bass and vocals though.

I'm not a fan of aggressive distortion, I prefer saturation/overdrive (I rarely want to destroy a sound completely) and I also prefer warmer tones.

So, software-wise for me it's Slate FG-N (overdriving the input) and Decapitator for vibe, with Sonnox Inflator and Limiter (the enhance section of the limiter) to enhance the top end without changing the sound too much.

Hardware-wise, I like overdriving any MoogerFooger pedal (MF-101 an MF-105M are my favourites for this task).

I also have a few distortions (both software and hardware), but for me it's mostly saturation/overdrive/mixing wth clean sound... I rarely want distortion to be over the top, I prefer keeping it subtle (ok, it's not easy to describe how much subtle: let's say I don't want the listener to think about distortion as soon as he starts listening, but it can still be noticeable... I want distortion to be part of the whole tone in a not-so-obvious way, rather than hearing a tone sounding mangled through distortion).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Trash 2 is a full featured channel strip, with 2 eqs, compressor, delay, saturation/distortion/fuzz, convolution and limiter!
And it sounds good! Try drum bus multi band saturation (tape on low end, tube on mid band, and fuzz on hi end)

Favorite Saturation:

Waves NLS
Lindell 6X-500 CM
brainworx Vertigo VSM-3
Supercharger GT Saturation (Compressor off)
Satin
Code Red Free
SGA1566
Decapitator

Favorite Distortion:

Waves Butch Vig vocals
Trash 2
Ohmicide
Fuzzplus3 (Free)
Gorgon (Free)
RP Distort
Unfiltered Audio Indent
Waves Manny Marroquin Distortion
Play it by ear

Mister Natural wrote:
chk071 wrote:Didn't know Trash is on sale ATM. Think i'll grab it for that price...
Word
Yeah, I had a go with it today. Worth it just to use as a character delay.
Zerocrossing Media

As for the why...

Steinberg Magneto II: I like the subtle saturation it adds to a sound, really warming it up without making it overly harsh or muffled like other tape saturation plugins I have used.

Steinberg Quadrafuzz II: When I am looking for more of a Tube saturation sound, the single, double, and triple tube modes really hit the spot for me warming/fattening the sound. Its easy to dial in enhancement to the frequencies of a sound that need it.

NI Supercharger / Supercharger GT: It just makes things sound more warm and alive, even without the compression. Kinda like the tube counterpart to Magneto II to me. If I want something to really stand out in the mix, this will likely be used as an insert.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Trash 2 $33.01 Summer Sale :o

Quadrafuzz you say... 2 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEqawRxGac

Return to “Effects”