D16 Redopter - getting kinda old now... still any good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This one has always intrigued me... How does it stack up against the current crop of great saturators like SDRR2 / HG-2 / the Omegas etc?

It's one of my favourites, but it can't be compared to the others you mention. I think it catches people out, but the frequency response of Redopter is more like a power amp than a standard saturation plugin. It doesn't start flat in other words. There is a distinctive shape to it. In terms of quality it's up there with the best. I've actually made some amazing guitar sounds with this combined with Devastator alone, but if you're after a product like SSDR or HG-2 then this is not it.

Thanks for your detailed respose!

Am I mistaken - I remember hearing about the lowpass filter being un-bypassable. Is that still the case or did they update that?

nah there's a switch, they did add that in an update.

very good old little 0-lat tube, this one...

I guess the natural comparison now would be Bluecat's Destructor, which also provides saturation with flexible EQ. Has anyone compared them? How easy is it to do the Redopter thing in Destructor?

we seriously need a redoptor update. after using devastor 2 going back to this tiny GUI is excruciating.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imrae wrote:I guess the natural comparison now would be Bluecat's Destructor, which also provides saturation with flexible EQ. Has anyone compared them? How easy is it to do the Redopter thing in Destructor?
I own both and it would have never even come to my mind to compare them.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

What happens if you set all eqs to flat and pull up a tube model on Destructor? Does Redopter have a "multi-stage" character to the saturation that the Blue Cat can't do? I figure if Destructor can approximate all those tube amps then the dynamic waveshaper must be doing a fair job...

I have no idea... I think Destructor is 100x more flexible than Redoptor and to me it also sounds a lot better. Amongst the things that sets Destructor apart is how dynamically it can react to the signal, while Redoptor sounds kinda flat and boring to me - and thus I never use it - this thread made me try again and "flat and boring/dull" is how I would describe it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”