Plugins for Vocal Mixing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone recommend a couple plugins for someone learning to mix vocals? I didn't want to get too many plugins, but just wanted to know what you guys thought were essential.

I'd be mixing EDM and Pop music.
Last edited by moodydoherty on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's hard to make recommendations when there are so many unique options. But, I'll make my recommendations with your desire for fewer plugins in mind. If you're trying to acquire as few plugins as possible, I'd recommend investigating plugins with extreme versatility. For compression, I'd recommend Kotelnikov. It's free, and it's easily the best, most versatile free compressor I've personally seen. For EQ, I'd recommend MEqualizer. Once you get used to the bizarre workflow, you'll see that it's a swiss army knife of an EQ in a way that most free EQs aren't. Usually mixing vocals requires reverb and delay to at least be considered. I'd recommend Spaceship Delay for the delay and OrilRiver as the reverb. If you're interested in saturation, I would recommend Krush or FuzzPlus 3. FuzzPlus 3 is like pouring cream on the vocals if you are parallel processing the saturation. Krush is just a solid free all-arounder distortion plugin. Lastly, some people enjoy finishing their vocal chains, or even bus their vocals, with an opto-style compressor. I'd recommend S.LA.X if that's something you'd want, though Kotelnikov can easily be configured to similar effect.

Kotelnikov by Tokyo Dawn Labs
MEqualizer by Melda Productions
Spaceship Delay by Musical Entropy
OrilRiver by Denis Tihanov
Krush by Tritik or FuzzPlus 3 by Audio Damage
S.LA.X by Sonic Anomaly

All of these are free. If you're looking to spend money, I'd highly recommend Temper by Creative Intent as a saturator. It's only $10, and it distorts the vocals in a very pleasing way. It's impressive because it does not impart the midrange blurring effect that most saturators will impart on a vocal, in my experience.

I hope that was helpful!

Yes that was incredibly helpful. Thanks.

I should've done a forum search because I saw that this question was very recently asked.

Return to “Effects”