Utility - free lightweight digital track control/channel strip plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Free Clip 1 Quick Haas Utility

Video Preview

Greetings guys, from the makers of the acclaimed Free Clip and Quick Haas plugins comes yet another completely free plugin for you all!

Utility is a free, lightweight, universal general purpose all in one digital channel strip plugin offering precise controls over various aspects of an audio signal, from mid/side processing to soft clipping.

Features include:
  • input routing with separate pans for the left and right channels, or alternatively a pre mono balance control to decide how the left and right channels are blended for conversion into mono
  • gain, and individual left and right channel gains, mutes
  • pan and phase inversion of either channel
  • width control, along with separate mid and side gain sliders and mutes
  • maximally flat minimal phase high and low pass 12db/octave filtering
  • optional hard and soft clipping at 0db
  • everything is fully automatable with sensible parameter ranges/scaling
Download Here!

KVR product page.

Currently available as: Windows VST (32 and 64 bit), Audio Unit (macOS)

If any issues are found, please let me know and I will patch them immediately!
Last edited by JHVenn on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

8) Awesome, thank you!

You guys rock, please keep this useful tools coming. :hug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thank you very much Venn Audio
It's a fantastic tool and finally can replace the old Free-G.

The independent Left-Right volume and mute feature is absolutely helpful.
Been so long using multi-mono version of ProTools Trim plugin to adjust the L/R volume balance.

I use the 32-bit version and everything works great so far. CPU hit is 0%.
Just 1 request if possible, a keyboard type-in value feature

And other Venn's plugins are just awesome!

This is excellent. It has all of the tools you'd need for stereo manipulation with only one minor exception that I can think of, if I really wanted to nitpick gratuitously. A mono bass feature would complete this.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will certainly consider keyboard type-in for the next update.
BRBWaffles wrote:This is excellent. It has all of the tools you'd need for stereo manipulation with only one minor exception that I can think of, if I really wanted to nitpick gratuitously. A mono bass feature would complete this.
You could try splitting the signal into two instances of utility, one with the high pass active and one with the low pass, both at the same cutoff frequency, and set one with the low pass to mono - although I suppose this would defeat the purpose of "all in one".

nice little plugin, but I wish the controls were exposed for automation and it looks like they aren't.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote:nice little plugin, but I wish the controls were exposed for automation and it looks like they aren't.
Everything is absolutely automatable, towards the end of the video is an example of the high pass filter being automated. :)

JHVenn wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I will certainly consider keyboard type-in for the next update.
BRBWaffles wrote:This is excellent. It has all of the tools you'd need for stereo manipulation with only one minor exception that I can think of, if I really wanted to nitpick gratuitously. A mono bass feature would complete this.
You could try splitting the signal into two instances of utility, one with the high pass active and one with the low pass, both at the same cutoff frequency, and set one with the low pass to mono - although I suppose this would defeat the purpose of "all in one".
This was the first thing that I tried, but I wasn't sure if there were any phase issues at the crossover point. It felt like something was missing when I was A/Bing it.

By the way guys, if any of you had issues with validation with logic, a hotfix is now available for the audio unit download.

The Clipper overshoots ?...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:The Clipper overshoots ?...
If the clipper is on, it will clamp the output to 1.0 at maximum and will not exceed that.

JHVenn wrote:
If the clipper is on, it will clamp the output to 1.0 at maximum and will not exceed that.
I managed to clip a lot more...

Are there conditions or the clipper at "on" will ALWAYS "clamp the output to 1.0 (0.1 here... sometimes 0.2) at maximum" ? ie. is it the FINAL out stage ?

I think that part needs an explanation...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
JHVenn wrote:
I managed to clip a lot more...

Are there conditions or the clipper at "on" will ALWAYS "clamp the output to 1.0 (0.1 here... sometimes 0.2) at maximum" ? ie. is it the FINAL out stage ?

I think that part needs an explanation...
Apologies, when I say "1.0", I mean in terms of gain, or in other words 0dbfs. So if you have selected hard clip, the output will not exceed 0dbfs. If you have selected soft clip, your peaks will get reduced as they get closer to 0db, so some might peak at -0.1 or -0.4 rather than at 0 immediately, but they should definitely not exceed 0dbfs.

edit: and yes it's definitely the final stage.

Return to “Effects”