Research On Subscription Model Efficiency

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Depends on perception of the software as a service vs asset. Some plugs have a steep learning curve, requiring dedicated time/commitment for mastery. That sort of investment is better suited for the asset category IMO. Other plugs like the one-knob series automate much of the work; their selling point may actually be that they automate away pain, which is a function of a service for well-established processes.

Scotty wrote:There are two companies where I have found subscriptionto be cost effective.

East West Composer Cloud = it would take 44 years to pay for the library at the monthly subscription rate. You can cancel with a mouse click and resume just as easily... YOu can render any tracks that use the library (10 000 virtual instruments) and even if you cancel you are allowed to use the rendered sounds in your material without any issue.

Adobe Creative Cloud... also a very good value. I do my own video work and use Premier, After Effects and Audition regularly. Cancelling and resuming is easy. You can run it on two machines... Great value.

I subscribe to both and feel that the money spent is well worth it. Far from evil these companies have robust products and subscription model is highly cost effective.
Thanks for the info buddy. I was not aware of East West cloud. I will definately check that.

nonnaci wrote:Depends on perception of the software as a service vs asset. Some plugs have a steep learning curve, requiring dedicated time/commitment for mastery. That sort of investment is better suited for the asset category IMO. Other plugs like the one-knob series automate much of the work; their selling point may actually be that they automate away pain, which is a function of a service for well-established processes.
Valuable point. Thanks for sharing that my friend.

No 'other/undecided' options on the answers? Couldn't complete the survey.

There are some subscription services that may be very efficient if you have paid work to do, EWQL cloud can be one of them.

FOr example I don't normally use that kind of orchestral libraries But if I had a project that needed them I could just pay a couple of months and be done with it.
dedication to flying

Tearing Riots wrote:No 'other/undecided' options on the answers? Couldn't complete the survey.
Would you please explain what do you mean by "other/undecided"?

rod_zero wrote:There are some subscription services that may be very efficient if you have paid work to do, EWQL cloud can be one of them.

FOr example I don't normally use that kind of orchestral libraries But if I had a project that needed them I could just pay a couple of months and be done with it.

Thanks for the explanation buddy.

Imho, as long as it is rent to own, you cannot loose and I am thankful for developers offering this...

Just my 2 cents

Yea def okay with rent-to-own subs with some kinda instant buyout. Low cost to front for the new cats who need it, flexible payments for the old cats who don't wanna commit all that much right outta the gate.

Prob with subs like the ewql cloud is like... man you gotta learn the samples and ui to get a good sound. Takes weeks to learn that shit and it def doesn't do you any favors. No training, inconsistencies all over, manual's light as a feather, only advice is a buncha secretive dips on the official forum... yea def not for pros on a crunch.

Pooyakhr wrote:
Tearing Riots wrote:No 'other/undecided' options on the answers? Couldn't complete the survey.
Would you please explain what do you mean by "other/undecided"?
If you ask me 'A or B?' and I think 'that depends' I can not proceed unless I give an inaccurate answer.

If this is for your studies I'd recommend asking your tutor about ways to get more relevant results, else here's from the top of a quick bing search: http://m.wikihow.com/Create-a-Survey

morelia wrote:Question 3 - C, should be > $500
+1

Pooya, I hope that you meant >500.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Scotty wrote:There are two companies where I have found subscriptionto be cost effective.

East West Composer Cloud = it would take 44 years to pay for the library at the monthly subscription rate. You can cancel with a mouse click and resume just as easily... YOu can render any tracks that use the library (10 000 virtual instruments) and even if you cancel you are allowed to use the rendered sounds in your material without any issue.

Adobe Creative Cloud... also a very good value. I do my own video work and use Premier, After Effects and Audition regularly. Cancelling and resuming is easy. You can run it on two machines... Great value.

I subscribe to both and feel that the money spent is well worth it. Far from evil these companies have robust products and subscription model is highly cost effective.
Scotty,

Good points. I used to buy every other version of Adobe's Creative suite, and subscribed as long as I could keep the cost to $30/mo. Once it went to $45/mo, I dropped it, and have not looked back. I really only used Illustrator and Photoshop. I really miss Illustrator to be honest, but I was just a casual user, and couldn't justify the price. I also didn't like the 1-year commitment.

Re EWCC: I would be tempted if orchestral were my thing, but I'd seriously consider buying from VSL as well.

Regards,
Wes
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Hi Wes... I qualify for the teacher/student discount Adobe Creative Coud and so do my kids who are in school so yes at $40.00 /month that gets expensive.

wesleyt wrote:

Scotty,

Good points. I used to buy every other version of Adobe's Creative suite, and subscribed as long as I could keep the cost to $30/mo. Once it went to $45/mo, I dropped it, and have not looked back. I really only used Illustrator and Photoshop. I really miss Illustrator to be honest, but I was just a casual user, and couldn't justify the price. I also didn't like the 1-year commitment.

Re EWCC: I would be tempted if orchestral were my thing, but I'd seriously consider buying from VSL as well.

Regards,
Wes

Return to “Effects”