SKnote release Disto-S - A Distressor, fast and effective.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And the "all-button" mode on an 1176 is not basically "nuking" (aka: limiting at a lower threshold)?

Guess I can still learn something new
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

kobal wrote:nuke is something different if i remember more like limiting maybe , 1.1 is the all button mode, distressors have been moded to add this mode at some point, they just didint change the interface i guess and kept the old 1.1 ( it was actually a mode to bypass the compression and just use the saturation if i remember on the first distressors )
Yes, you cannot byass the compression. 1:1 is not actually 1:1. Since British mode was added, I guess, as all our units here came with B.M. so I don't know the older ones.
Yes, B.M. is useful on every mode, really doubles the options.

Compyfox wrote:And the "all-button" mode on an 1176 is not basically "nuking" (aka: limiting at a lower threshold)?

Guess I can still learn something new
nuke is different it s a sort of brick wall limiting i checked on empirical site , i never found it usefull

Again...

EL-8 > Nuke = "Infinite ratio" = "brickwall" limiting
1176 > All-Button-In = "Infinite Ratio" = "brickwall" limiting (especially with fast attack/release, great for room mics)

EL-8 uses a softer knee, to my knowledge the 1176 doesn't

What fundamental(!!!) thing am I missing?

@quintosardo:
So when is that new video with the software vs hardware comparison coming?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

VST/AU (Win/Mac/32/64) users: please download it again! Looks like autogain is working fantastic in all the missing hosts, now :tu:
Last edited by quintosardo on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Compyfox wrote:
What fundamental(!!!) thing am I missing?
Why don't you simply have a look at the Distressor manual if the explanations which have been given to you in this thread don't fully satisfy you yet? You surely don't want to go on about this for two more pages, or do you?

(And if the behaviour of a real Distressor doesn't really make sense to you, then this thread probably isn't the best place to go on a rant about this either, or is it?)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

General instructions for Disto-S being integrated online in the audio blog on sknoteaudio.com today. As usual on our website, just write "Disto" in the Search field on the homepage to find related documentation (instructions, examples, presets, demo audio, etc.).

Instructions have been detailed in two new posts in our audio blog:

Disto-S -
Instructions

Specific about the Autogain feature:

Disto-S -
Autogain

jens wrote:Why don't you simply have a look at the Distressor manual if the explanations which have been given to you in this thread don't fully satisfy you yet? You surely don't want to go on about this for two more pages, or do you?
That's not the point of my question, jens. And I do have the EL-8 manual on my HDD (which also covers the EL-8X btw).

One of my points is, why do people smack down on me trying to "convince" me of the "benefits of the British Mode" (or the superiority of this particular compressor/plugin), not to mention claim that it's a "complete different beast" if Nuke (EL-8) = All-Buttons-In (1176) = Inf Ratio = "brickwall limiting"

So what fundamental thing am I missing, other than the change in attack/release times and a different knee setting?

jens wrote:(And if the behaviour of a real Distressor doesn't really make sense to you, then this thread probably isn't the best place to go on a rant about this either, or is it?)
Again, not the point of my posts...

quintosardo wrote:General instructions for Disto-S being integrated online in the audio blog on sknoteaudio.com today. As usual on our website, just write "Disto" in the Search field on the homepage to find related documentation (instructions, examples, presets, demo audio, etc.).

Why not hot-link from the product page?
Why no PDF manual to download?

Looks like it is confirmed that the autogain is now working on all hosts, including Live.

Let me know if there is any installation left with any issue and if you find this autogain useful, so it can be included everywhere.

Compyfox wrote:Again, not the point of my posts...
I guess you are the only one who gets the point of your posts.
I see that you had problems with sknote in the past and obviously still bear a grudge,
but i would kindly ask you to choose another place for your vendetta.
It makes this thread hard to read and doesn't help.

I'm sorry, but thank you for the awesome laugh!
Arrested Developer wrote:I guess you are the only one who gets the point of your posts.
I asked several valid questions to both the developer (a lot of them being ignored still) and the (dare I even say it) "fanboy-ish" userbase. I also brought up various valid arguments as to why be cautious with this developer. Especially considering his recent behavior (again!) towards users on both KVR and GS.

I'm not writing in an Alien Language... or am I?

Arrested Developer wrote:I see that you had problems with sknote in the past and obviously still bear a grudge, but i would kindly ask you to choose another place for your vendetta.
Here we go again. "Compyfox is on a Vendetta, he's on a agenda, he's (still) holding a grudge" (insert Spongebob mimic meme here).

Come on, people! Find some new arguments to put me in my place, please. This is getting boring.

I'm not holding a grudge (anymore - I found suitable alternatives to the plugins I was ultimately locked out of using - so there you go).

But I have a problem with developers talking smack, treating their customers (and interested parties) like crap (the main excuse: language barrier, or "I don't know what you're saying", not to mention "you don't get it"), pulling a sh*tload of nonsensical shenanigans, on top of throwing around with marketing blurb (bonus points!).

So how about counter arguments?
How about proper discussions?
How about DEBUNKING things?!

Have these types of threads really devolved into blind praise "and you're not allowed to write something else!!!"? This is the open forum section on KVR, not the KVR resident "official SKNote and customer support forum" where the dev can do whatever the heck he pleases (to a certain extend that is)!

Seriously?!

Arrested Developer wrote:It makes this thread hard to read and doesn't help.
Maybe you should stick to your own request and stop derailing then.

Compyfox wrote:I asked several valid questions to the developer (a lot of them being ignored still)
Without wanting to be involved, hell no, let me ask you a question though: Don't you think that he doesn't want to communicate with you at all since you're ranting within every post? I mean, what do you expect? Kicking him in the as* and at the same time demand this and that from him? :wink:

elassi wrote:
Compyfox wrote:I asked several valid questions to the developer (a lot of them being ignored still)
Without wanting to be involved, hell no, let me ask you a question though: Don't you think that he doesn't want to communicate with you at all since you're ranting within every post? I mean, what do you expect? Kicking him in the as* and at the same time demand this and that from him? :wink:
Oh, a wink smiley.

Let me ask you one question in return...

Who actually wrote "Racist talking here?" first, and then proceeded to report all my posts while ignoring the question "why should we users do the work for you? You try to sell us a plugin, please do that yourself"? I can only make assumption, but considering that this post and my follow up sarcastic comment was deleted, it was the developer himself.

If he doesn't want to communicate "with me", that's his prerogative. But remember who threw the first stone and continues to pull shenanigans - in fact, the criticism was already there BEFORE I posted (on both GS and here in KVR). So in this case, the developer only proves my point that he undeservingly treats users like sheep. Dare I even say, garbage. You can hit the backlogs (I mentioned which thread to look for) to get a taste of how messed up this can get - for the developer!

I'm just sick of the blind praise of users, who then continue to go on attacking others that have had not so "great" experiences with this developer and/or his creations (you know, personal opinions are a thing), or who are not swooned by whatever he is saying/presenting. This is all I've been pointing out so far - known stuff about the developer. Things that are easily pushed aside and "drowned out" (due to forum censoring, etc). (which is also the answer to your question) In fact, a lot of the brought up criticism (especially: lack of demo) is more than valid - and still being ignored. Is this a reason for an attack? I'd say no - but YMMV, definitely.

Now we have TWO derailing posts in row.
So who is dismantling the thread again?

Open questions are still:
1) when will we see an overhauled A/B video with seeing both the hardware and software side by side? I'd really like to see what's going on. Who tells me that the videos weren't doctored?
2) when will we see a proper manual?
3) why is there no need to hotlink the recently posted "Audio Blog" articles to the product page? This is jumping hoops for interested users.
4) what will happen to DISTO-R? Where is the backwards compatibility to DISTO v2 (obiously, new plugin, therefore new plugin ID - can old presets even be loaded?)
5) when does the Introduction Price of 50USD run out (MSRP is 299USD plus VAT), and where is the fairness compared to new users paying more after the intro pricing, compared to "old users" not paying a dime for the upgrade?

which brings me to the most important thing of all:
6) since the refund policy (7 days, and highly dependent on the mood of the developer) is still wonky, when will we see demo versions?

Not to mention my open Q towards users:

What is the fundamental difference between EL-8's Nuke Mode = 1176's All-Buttons-In, which equals an Infinite Ratio = "Brickwall Limiting"? While not counting the Attack/Release time differences between the EL-8 and 1176, and also the "knee setting".

If I'm uneducated in this realm, then please teach me!

Should be less hard to read and follow now, right?

I'm actually really interested in this product and don't know the arguing party or care how important they wish to feel.

Please take your arguing to PM's, nobody else is interested.

Now back to Disto-S now please?

Thank you.

Return to “Effects”