TBProAudio: ISOL8 - Mix Monitoring Plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ISOL8

Compyfox wrote:Please excuse my arrogance with this, however...

Wouldn't it be possible to get rid of the 4-pole filter "peak issues" by switching to linear phase type LPF/HPF instead of a "normal" phase Linkwitz-Riley crossover matrix? It should be possible to create such a tool, while still offering low CPU load and zero latency, since the plugin doesn't introduce any form of harmonic overtone creation (in other words: saturation), no?

Christian Budde once told me back in the days, that you can only have either-two of the following three things:
- high audio quality due to oversampling (saturation)
- low latency
- low CPU load

Since no saturation is present... :shrug:
ISOL8 does no have any saturation.
And you are right: linear phase filter would avoid the "peak" issue. And there are plenty of commercial products available with LP filter. But LP filter introduces latency by design.

It was just a design decision: zero latency, low CPU load and smooth filter fading.

What latency are we really talking about? 20-50ms? It's supposed to be a mastering "helper", not a tracking tool, so that shouldn't be a concern. IMO and all that.

I mean, we talk 5 bands here, no 64 with EQ's like Fabfilter ProQ or DMGAudio Equilibrium. Then again, what about the alternative "Minimum Phase", you should be possible to create a fairly good (low) phase response still with ultra-low to zero latency.

But then again... if you're only using this tool for "quick checks" and know how to train your ears to compensate... then minimum phase or linear phase could be shrugged off as a wish rather than a logical evolution. So that's a matter of personal preference.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:What latency are we really talking about? 20-50ms? It's supposed to be a mastering "helper", not a tracking tool, so that shouldn't be a concern. IMO and all that.

I mean, we talk 5 bands here, no 64 with EQ's like Fabfilter ProQ or DMGAudio Equilibrium. Then again, what about the alternative "Minimum Phase", you should be possible to create a fairly good (low) phase response still with ultra-low to zero latency.

But then again... if you're only using this tool for "quick checks" and know how to train your ears to compensate... then minimum phase or linear phase could be shrugged off as a wish rather than a logical evolution. So that's a matter of personal preference.
Well, number of filters do not matter for LP latency. IR length determines the latency. Longer IR give better quality in the low frequency range.
In any case: making ISOL8 with LP filter is something we should keep in mind for a future update.

Just want to say thank you so much for offering this fantastic plugin. It's such a great monitoring tool - absolutely awesome!

I do have a feature request... I think it would increase usability even more if a Right mouse click did the same thing as the Shift+Click (solo individual buttons). I can sit back in the chair, focus on the sound and just do everything from the mouse without having to lean in with a finger on the Shift key all the time as well.

Thanks again!

MogwaiBoy wrote: I do have a feature request... I think it would increase usability even more if a Right mouse click did the same thing as the Shift+Click (solo individual buttons). I can sit back in the chair, focus on the sound and just do everything from the mouse without having to lean in with a finger on the Shift key all the time as well.

Thanks again!
Yes, not a bad idea :-) We will implement this in next version. :tu:

MogwaiBoy wrote:Just want to say thank you so much for offering this fantastic plugin. It's such a great monitoring tool - absolutely awesome!

I do have a feature request... I think it would increase usability even more if a Right mouse click did the same thing as the Shift+Click (solo individual buttons). I can sit back in the chair, focus on the sound and just do everything from the mouse without having to lean in with a finger on the Shift key all the time as well.

Thanks again!
OK, please install V1.0.4. It adds the right MB click :)

Update to 1.0.4:
- Solo/Mute Button: right mouse button deactivates all other buttons
- VST3: mute/solo button trigger problem fixed
- WaveLab offline render fix

TB-ProAudio wrote:Update to 1.0.4:
You did it :) Thank you so much. This is such a great plugin for monitoring.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
TB-ProAudio wrote:Update to 1.0.4:
You did it :) Thank you so much. This is such a great plugin for monitoring.
Excellent, and thank your for the feedback :)

Great plugin - small bug report. It crashes FL from time to time, especially when I have the interface detached.

Debutante wrote:Great plugin - small bug report. It crashes FL from time to time, especially when I have the interface detached.
Thank you.
We will look at this.

I'm using FL Studio but it's never crashed (using it detached too).

The Mid/Side solos are great but I wonder if it would be possible to add to them a true MONO fold down button? It's one of the more important monitoring scenarios to see how your mix fares in mono.

MogwaiBoy wrote:The Mid/Side solos are great but I wonder if it would be possible to add to them a true MONO fold down button? It's one of the more important monitoring scenarios to see how your mix fares in mono.
Hmm, what do you mean with "true" mono? And what is the difference to current function?
Thank you!

I mean the 'Mid' is totally different to a 'mono' (sum) isn't it? It would be great to have a mono summing function that converted the mid and the sides down to 100% mono for checking ie: phase cancelation. By 'true mono' I mean not the kind that boosts volume (pan laws?). Sorry I'm not very technically minded!

Here is a stereo width plugin that claims "true mono fold down"
http://www.mathewlane.com/stereodelta.html
from true mono fold down (save all stereo info into mono!)
Some people are listening to our music on mono bluetooth speakers, cellphones etc - so I think having a mono check in ISOL8 would be the icing on the cake :)

MogwaiBoy wrote:I mean the 'Mid' is totally different to a 'mono' (sum) isn't it? It would be great to have a mono summing function that converted the mid and the sides down to 100% mono for checking ie: phase cancelation. By 'true mono' I mean not the kind that boosts volume (pan laws?). Sorry I'm not very technically minded!

Here is a stereo width plugin that claims "true mono fold down"
http://www.mathewlane.com/stereodelta.html
from true mono fold down (save all stereo info into mono!)
Some people are listening to our music on mono bluetooth speakers, cellphones etc - so I think having a mono check in ISOL8 would be the icing on the cake :)
The mid/mono topic has already been discussed here (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200382 )and here (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=380502).

Mono (aka MID) is Left+Right.

Return to “Effects”