Airwindows Console5: AU, Mac and PC VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think that did it chris :tu:

Thank you! I think you'll be the first person I support on patreon, which I plan to do once I'm done traveling.

Thank you so much for the fix, Chris!

:hug:

Oh, for heaven's sake: not done yet. A user found a problem on the left channel of the VST. I was too tired yesterday to be able to think or hear straight, after all the snow shoveling.

I'm working on variations on the system so you can have more options (since BussColors/Desk are designed to work with Console4Buss) and I have found the problem immediately.

:cry:

Give me a few minutes, I see what was wrong with the left channel. FFS. Worst Xmas ever, but I will not give up until my present to you all is in working order.

OK try it now. Please, PLEASE tell me when this stuff is going on, I got a feeling people were trying to let me rest? The problem was Console5Channel, VST version, Mac and PC. It's now fixed, 'cos it was silly obvious and it was just that I was too tired to think, see or type straight.

Never saw such a debacle in all my life, but response time is still not totally bad. Looking on the bright side I guess? Also, you get to see how seriously I take being Santa :lol:

(on the website you can still download the original version that throws DC offsets. In case anyone needs that special case one: it did have a real tone to it, but that's just too fragile)

Where to download latest stable update? From the post above I take it NOT on Airwindows site.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:Where to download latest stable update? From the post above I take it NOT on Airwindows site.
No, it is. Console5

Also the 'NewUpdates.zip' link has the fix now. What I meant was, if you go there and scroll to the bottom of the Console5 post, you can get to a different link that has a renamed zip containing that first version if you wanted it. (can't install both, it is after all a bugged version). The link in OP and everywhere else has been keeping up with bugfixes.

Thanks Chris for all your work on these especially the super fast bug fixes on a snowy xmas.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

6:05 EST Dec 26. One more thing, this time a declaration in the VST Console5Buss.h (not even in the code part) which made code that worked OK on my test laptop and broke on the Mac (not shown on the AUs I made videos with). Fixed.

Guys, please tell me these things. I'm almost crying, I only want it to work. I guess my Mom's death got to me worse than I thought and I only hope I'm done with fixing what should have been a relatively simple plugin, for all that it's a new version of Console. Tell me so that by next week, when Mom's funeral is over and I'm posting the next addition to the Console5 line, I can say that Console5 itself is done.

And I'll come up with a way to also bring you 'weird-DC version' again, though it might need to not have actual super-extended bass.

You're doing great. Don't beat yourself up.

Sorry to hear about your mother :(

Happy New Year Chris ! My condolences to you and your family regarding your mother - I hope the funeral service went as well as such things can possible go ...

I had a bit of a brain fart yesterday regarding the setup on my default plugin chain effect rack

Currently every channel strip ends with this chain -
[purest gain][bx_console][console5channel]

And the bus looks like -
[console5bus][ozone6][NotJustAnotherDither]

So far (I think!) so good, but then I wondered what I should do with an aux return track (I use Ableton and usually have at least a reverb on there ). My theory is that if I do put Console5channel on this aux track it's 'encoding' the signal twice (once at the end of the channel and a second time at the end of this aux track), but conversely if I don't and I have (for example) a reverb on the aux return track is it going to 'corrupt' the encoding from the Console5Channel and then not decode properly later with the Console5Bus on the main bus?

So do I Console5Channel on the aux returns or shall I not, or shouldn't I worry either way as long as it's on the individual channels ? :)

You leave the extra Console5Channel off the aux, and here's why: when you're doing delays and reverbs, functionally that's acting like you're generating new tracks. If you're sending a feed that has Console5Channel on it, you've already done the encode (it'll be at a different level but ignore that for now) and then you go into the reverb or delay system, and it generates a few or a LOT of new channels in the form of echoes or ambience: just a million delayed and altered copies of the track, mostly at super quiet levels.

Then you feed all that into Console5Buss and it expands the spaces BETWEEN the echoes :D

That works quite well. There's also a newer Console5 variation out (PurestConsole) that you can experiment with. You can test how this works just in stereo with a reverb: do the reverb, then put ConsoleChannel in front and ConsoleBuss after, see what changes. You might have to adjust levels but that's how it works, same as if you had a full mix and a reverb 'inside' Console (between the plugins).

That's fantastic - Thanks for the advice Chris :)

I noticed that you released a new plugin. So I wonder if you still want to fix the DC problem without changing the sound of console5 ?

Regarding console and sends:

If I setup a channel with a sine tone and put console5channel behind it I see, depending on the volume, generated overtones. If I then put console5buss behind it these overtones are gone. So far, so good.

If change the volume between console5channel and console5buss just a tiny, tiny bit, console5buss react completely different.

Now I wonder: How can you suggest to send "encoded" signals to sends ? The material is changed in volume, frequency and whatnot. In fact you said: " it'll be at a different level but ignore that for now "

I did not ignore it and came up with this setup:

Basically, I build a summing box (in some sense like a Neve 8816) inside my daw. 16 Group Tracks each with console5channel which all other tracks including sends are routed to. These 16 "summing box channels" then get summed by console buss. That way console5channel and console5buss are perfectly level and "frequency" matched. What do you think about this setup Chris ?

Dip200 wrote:I noticed that you released a new plugin. So I wonder if you still want to fix the DC problem without changing the sound of console5 ?

Basically, I build a summing box (in some sense like a Neve 8816) inside my daw. 16 Group Tracks each with console5channel which all other tracks including sends are routed to. These 16 "summing box channels" then get summed by console buss. That way console5channel and console5buss are perfectly level and "frequency" matched. What do you think about this setup Chris ?
Yes, I mean to fix the DC problem so people can have the original sound of Console5: the revision (with no DC problem) sounds different, though it's OK in its own right.

Yes, what you're doing with 'console only on stems' will also work, though it's a little less effective than doing a full Console system. Having perfect unity gain will help Console work as intended. Console5 is actually more graceful at handling mismatches in volume, because its distort/undistort curves are smoother.

Return to “Effects”