Stereo field imager for proper orchestral re-panning?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys,

if you try to combine different orchestral libraries they are often pre-panned differently.

Sometimes it's quite hard for me to layer them exactly by ear, so I wanted to know if there is any good stereo field imager, where you could exactly see at which degree the "main sound or frequency" is panned. So if you see for example that on the first violin the main frequency is panned to -11 and the other one to -16, you know that you have to adjust either one by 5 to match them in the stereo field.

Thanks a lot :)

Bump.

Would also looking for something like this and something that can help analyze several tracks spatial position, reversb parameters, eq and volume together...

There's Virtual Sound Stage:
http://www.parallax-audio.com/

On the cheap/basic/low-on features/32-bit only end there's Red Mix:
http://www.mildon.me/plugins/redmix

May also want to check out some of the new Plugin Alliance stereo manipulation plugins :)

You could use something like MAnaluzer to look at stereo spectrogram of your sounds overlaid on one another to get a better idea of where the dry sound is positioned. I use VSS for my main orchestra rig's panning and spatializing needs. For sounds with lots of baked in room I would suggest picking one as your reference rather than adjusting both sort of meet in the middle. At the moment I'm panning most of the live instrument stuff based off of the positioning of the "Cine" series from Cinesamples. Also it'd be worth looking up some seating charts for different orchestras. Some of the big libraries give relatively detailed info about how things were set up regarding seating and microphone positions.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Well, I know VSS 2.0, but you still have to re-pan them to the middle if they are pre-panned from the library.
So the question is, how accurate is the auto-repan (Input Offset) that VSS 2.0 offers? If it's not really accurate, there is no ned to use is for me, because then you can also just adjust it by ear... ;)

MeldaProduction's free MUtility plug-in will do the panning brilliantly, but you don't have much in the way of visual feedback, only the Panorama-left and Panorama-right controls. But it will definitely do the job as well as anything for which you could spend money.

I'm mostly using eaReckon EAReverb 2 and sometimes the free Proximity by TDR/vladg.

I've heard good things about VSS though.

You should really ask this over at VI-Control ;)
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

GAMJoker wrote:Hello guys,

if you try to combine different orchestral libraries they are often pre-panned differently.

Sometimes it's quite hard for me to layer them exactly by ear, so I wanted to know if there is any good stereo field imager, where you could exactly see at which degree the "main sound or frequency" is panned. So if you see for example that on the first violin the main frequency is panned to -11 and the other one to -16, you know that you have to adjust either one by 5 to match them in the stereo field.
You need what's called a 'power panner' where the stereo relationship you put in it is preserved.
I use VSL Vienna Suite which has one. But their VE Pro mixer has a simpler one, as does Cubase.

Don't have anything for the metering part of the question but I really like the goodhertz panner for the panning.

https://goodhertz.co/panpot
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Just use analyzer like free Melda MStereoScope to get visual feedback and use Panner. No shortcuts here. These libraries have different amount of players per section + different room which means that stereo width and reverberation of sections are different from library to library. So: panning, stereo field (narrowing, enhancing) and work with reverbs (ER mostly). Matching orchestral libraries is not easy job

Yes just use a stereo scope and pan the audio. No need to install additional plugins, your DAW should have one built in which does the job.

But if you'd like to use 3rd party plugin then VSS and Goodhertz Panpot are easy to use and it makes fun using them.

Sam-U wrote:Yes just use a stereo scope and pan the audio. No need to install additional plugins, your DAW should have one built in which does the job.
No. As pertains to the OP, you absolutely need power panning to do anything here; ie., where the library has a stereo profile if you merely pan shit about you're looking to create significantly more trouble than you have to start with. Power Panning means the stereo imaging can be panned preserving the stereo image; otherwise you run smack into the wall of Pan Law (the further you move it the less power you have for the side which is disappearing).

"your DAW should", well Cubendo has it, it is called Stereo Combined Panner. Otherwise one may need to consult one's DAW documentation to be sure.
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 6.31.24 PM.png
VSL's looks like this in action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One more option is Panagement. It has a free option you can try out and the full version is inexpensive.

I actually looked into all of them and nothing was something I asked for.
If you use all these plugins, once you open them they show the meter in the center. Then you can pan them to the left or right. What I asked for is a visualizer or a parameter which tells you how much a pre-panned audio file is panned, so you can center them exactly again. So with all these plugins I can of course pan them back and forth by ear, but the whole point of this topic was the question if there is anything that >tells you the amount< of how much you pan them back.

Return to “Effects”