VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Instabuy @ $10... :tu:

pekbro wrote:Instabuy @ $10... :tu:
$10?

I see $19?

We should compile and grow a master list of plugins that instantly crash Plugindoctor. I'm sure DDMF are watching this thread, or we can forward the list to him/them anyway.

Also, anyone else experience this? When you install the app it doesn't create a shortcut on your desktop or in the Windows start menu, which is a little odd. You have to launch the app directly from the exe in the folder. So it doesn't really install like a proper app?

Man, checkout Cleansweep Pro through this thing if you have it - there's some crazy shit happening down in the frequency abyss.

Let's start posting pics of interesting finds, too!

*nerdddd*

Really cool, true instabuy. Wish it had an icon, looks lost in my Dock. :)

Thing I noticed: if the linear range is changed in settings, the value around the mouse cursor doesn't adjust to the new range, it stays set to the +/- 10dB. (See attached image.)

Also pretty weird that signal generator frequencies can only be picked from a dropdown rather than entered as an absolute value, I'd love to have dead-on 100 Hz or 1 kHz sines to check. But I guess that has something to do with "staying inside FFT bins".

Since not all plugins have a Bypass button, it would be great to have one in the plugin window. Yes, even in this scenario it would be helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Confucamus.

Robert Randolph wrote:
pekbro wrote:Instabuy @ $10... :tu:
$10?

I see $19?
Sry, 50% off for previous customers, code received via email.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Finally a 64-bit VST analyzer! Time to get my geek on...

Er.... this was possible for actually quite a while now already... not as standalone tool, mind you. But possible - from within your DAW even. If you knew "how" (already hearing the experts rolling in with this device though)

I'll be looking at this spiritual successor the next days... see how usable it actually is. But I'm so used to using my host and custom test signals for years at this point (recently needed merely 20min for testing a Logic Pro X host bundled plugin), that maybe this standalone came out a bit too late.

YMMV :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Clearly a convenience utility, it even takes screenshots. Nothing wrong with
doing it the long way, but this literally takes about 1 sec to deploy and use.

Is it going to be useful? The guy's an actual physicist... I'm sure it's safe to
take his word for it, should you have need of it.

-Cheers

Tip (saw this suggested at Gearslutz, so not my idea): for those who want to use Waves plugins or multiple plugins, you can always load a VST plugin chainer like Patchwork. Kind of a clever way of expanding what this is capable of.

imrae wrote:Very exciting! A few issues from playing with the demo:
  • No controls for Airwindows plugins makes me sad :( I was looking forwards to using this to compare the transfer curves and frequency response of quirky airwindows filters and comps to stuff with fancy GUIs.
Yea, kinda strange cause DDMF's Metaplugin CAN load GUI-less plugs into a generic shell...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Tip (saw this suggested at Gearslutz, so not my idea): for those who want to use Waves plugins or multiple plugins, you can always load a VST plugin chainer like Patchwork. Kind of a clever way of expanding what this is capable of.
I'll look this up, thanks.
Just bought it. Loving it so far.

I've seen examples of where this sort of analyser is useful. But in general what would you use it for? As in day to day what would people be using this for? Is it more relevant for something like comparing synth waveforms?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:I've seen examples of where this sort of analyser is useful. But in general what would you use it for? As in day to day what would people be using this for? Is it more relevant for something like comparing synth waveforms?
I think its main intent is for comparing quality of VST plugins. To easily see what they do to the audio, check harmonics, noise, curves, general behaviour. Just like Christian Budde's VST Analyser. That's very useful if you want to check what a plugin does before you buy it. It's also great for finding bugs.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I just did screen shots of all the tests across all the SSL Bus Compressor emulations I have... except Waves. Anyone know how to get Wave plugins to work. I am on a mac with AU. Seems like the Waves version should be part of the comparisons.

DuX wrote:
morelia wrote:I've seen examples of where this sort of analyser is useful. But in general what would you use it for? As in day to day what would people be using this for? Is it more relevant for something like comparing synth waveforms?
I think its main intent is for comparing quality of VST plugins. To easily see what they do to the audio, check harmonics, noise, curves, general behaviour. Just like Christian Budde's VST Analyser. That's very useful if you want to check what a plugin does before you buy it. It's also great for finding bugs.
Is that really a way of comparing the quality of different plugins? Obviously you can see what it does to the audio but when is that important? When checking if a plugin is an exact emu of a hardware emu or whether a waveform is exactly what expected? To me it seems this only has value on very rare occasion, purely for interest sake and in the development of plugins. Happy to be told how I'm missing the point though.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:
DuX wrote:
Is that really a way of comparing the quality of different plugins? Obviously you can see what it does to the audio but when is that important? When checking if a plugin is an exact emu of a hardware emu or whether a waveform is exactly what expected? To me it seems this only has value on very rare occasion, purely for interest sake and in the development of plugins. Happy to be told how I'm missing the point though.
it is important when, for example, a developer claims the plugin is a "harmonic exciter" or "emulates vintage hardware" when it actuality all it does is add an EQ curve. it is also important to determine whether the plugin models any saturation or has an inherent noise floor. there are many situations where you would need to test a plugin.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”