New Preamps, EQs & Filters from Arturia

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1973 pre-amp @96kHz it shows 0.4ms latency in Bitwig. (..just wanna add)
- WonderEcho -

The pre-amps look fun, and I like fun so I'll probably bite. I wish the Neve at least had a compressor to make it more or less a full channel strip though.

So... question: where do you use one pre-amp versus another? When do you grab a Neve, or V72, or hell even a Pultec? I'd think trying each one in succession over dozens of tracks isn't exactly feasible.

i really like what i hear so far and will purchase both bundles today. i'd also like to take the opportunity to thank arturia for their generous offer for their loyal customers (the price of the bundle for owners of the v-collection has been mentioned a few times in this thread). in the past i had thought numerous times about updating to the new t-racks 5 but when i saw the latest ik multimedia deals which only favoured new customers while leaving loyal customers in the cold i told myself to quit supporting companies like ik multimedia, air music etc. so thanks again, arturia, for making these effects available at a very nice price. :tu:

dumbledog wrote:So... question: where do you use one pre-amp versus another? When do you grab a Neve, or V72, or hell even a Pultec? I'd think trying each one in succession over dozens of tracks isn't exactly feasible.
So maybe you need to know - in advance - how each of them sounds. What it does to the source. Obviously they all saturate, but differently, and they have EQ curves which are also different from one another. Just grab one and listen to your audio collection or other material you know very well through it - at different gain settings. Obviously this takes time - getting familiar with your tools always does.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
dangayle wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The reality is, after spending some time listening to these and testing them out, I think I liked the sound so much because Arturia really did a great job.
Thanks for the write up! How was the CPU usage?
Didn't notice. Which is good! Means it's low. Latency was 0.7ms from memory.
Cpu on all these new plugs is below 1% on my old i7 with the GUIs closed
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I'll take the risk of asking a newbie question regarding pre-amps.

My main focus is in the box electronic music. I've got saturators, EQ's, filters, tape effect, compressors but i've never invested in a pre-amp. Is there a place/need for a pre-amp for in the box electronic music?

I've got plenty of tools to create flavors so what would a pre-amp add to the mix?

Stefken wrote:I'll take the risk of asking a newbie question regarding pre-amps.

My main focus is in the box electronic music. I've got saturators, EQ's, filters, tape effect, compressors but i've never invested in a pre-amp. Is there a place/need for a pre-amp for in the box electronic music?

I've got plenty of tools to create flavors so what would a pre-amp add to the mix?
In the physical domain, pre-amps are often needed to boost certain signals to a suitable levels. When working with ITB signals however it's easy to control levels however you please which means pre-amps essentially just become saturators & EQs. In fact, many ITB saturators are modelled/inspired by specific analog preamp circuits. If you don't need any more sound colouration tools you certainly don't need any ITB preamps but a lot of people like the different colours that specific classic preamps can generate.

Hi!

Did anyone notice that it is not possible to bypass those FX in the DAW?
You have to open the GUI of the Arturia FX and hit bypass at the bottom...

This is frustrating and annoying and not usable within a decent workflow
while recording and mixing.
It was already with the Minifilter before but I thought because of it was free
that not much attention was given to basic functionality within the DAW.

Arturia please implement a decent bypass function for those plugins within the DAWs.
I use Cubase Pro 9.5 WIN10.

Those FX are really great beside this ...

Thanks
Harry
Cubase Pro 12 - WIN10 - Soniccore XITE-1

muswellhillbilly wrote:Hi!

Arturia please implement a decent bypass function for those plugins within the DAWs.

Thanks
Harry
Works fine here in Bitwig, must be your Daw
Amazon: why not use an alternative

dubguy99 wrote:
Stefken wrote:I'll take the risk of asking a newbie question regarding pre-amps.

In the physical domain, pre-amps are often needed to boost certain signals to a suitable levels. When working with ITB signals however it's easy to control levels however you please which means pre-amps essentially just become saturators & EQs. In fact, many ITB saturators are modelled/inspired by specific analog preamp circuits. If you don't need any more sound colouration tools you certainly don't need any ITB preamps but a lot of people like the different colours that specific classic preamps can generate.
Thanks for your answer. i'll check out the demo.
I do notice that the demo's typically include 'rock' elements like guitars, acoustical drums and vocals. The presets are also centered around these elements. Is this because of the background of the people using them or is this because these pre-amps are best suited for 'natural' sounds. I mainly use synthesised sounds.
Last edited by Stefken on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
muswellhillbilly wrote:Hi!

Thanks
Harry
Works fine here in Bitwig, must be your Daw
So it is a "bug" in Cubase Pro 9.5?
Is it some kind of an option in the program-settings to change that in Cubase?
Or is it intended to be so to bypass the FX in its own GUI?

Thanks
Harry
Cubase Pro 12 - WIN10 - Soniccore XITE-1

are you sure you're are using the ALT+click command in Cubase to bypass the FX?

same here with SB C9, in the upper bar of the plugin, where read/write automation, A/B and the vst(3) preset buttons are, there is only the "power" aka VST on/off, but no bypass button

muswellhillbilly wrote: Arturia please implement a decent bypass function for those plugins within the DAWs.
There is a problem with the bypass in Cubase. This is a known issue and is being worked out. You may expect a solution in a future update.
Fernando (FMR)

Im actually surprised the filters feature envelopes but do not have midi input. For that i think The Legend wins here, because you get not only synth but also Filter plugin with midi input. Actually Zebra 2 and Xfer Serum is a better choice for that matter if you want a flexible filter fx.

Return to “Effects”