New Preamps, EQs & Filters from Arturia

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Elektronisch wrote:Im actually surprised the filters feature envelopes but do not have midi input. For that i think The Legend wins here, because you get not only synth but also Filter plugin with midi input. Actually Zebra 2 and Xfer Serum is a better choice for that matter if you want a flexible filter fx.
That is a surprise considering that Arturia is predominantly known for it's VIs

Elektronisch wrote:Im actually surprised the filters feature envelopes but do not have midi input. For that i think The Legend wins here, because you get not only synth but also Filter plugin with midi input. Actually Zebra 2 and Xfer Serum is a better choice for that matter if you want a flexible filter fx.
The filters use MIDI. They can have MIDI sources as modulators if that's what you are looking for.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
muswellhillbilly wrote: Arturia please implement a decent bypass function for those plugins within the DAWs.
I use Cubase Pro 9.5 WIN10.
There is a problem with the bypass in Cubase. This is a known issue and is being worked out. You may expect a solution in a future update.
@Fernando: Thanks for this info. Now I can relax and go on making music ;)
Cubase Pro 12 - WIN10 - Soniccore XITE-1

fmr wrote:
The filters use MIDI. They can have MIDI sources as modulators if that's what you are looking for.
Could you explain how to do that? :) particulary on Mini V. Using it as a FX plugin in DAW :)

Elektronisch wrote:
fmr wrote:
Could you explain how to do that? :) particulary on Mini V. Using it as a FX plugin in DAW :)
It can be a little tricky. I can explain how I do that in Cubase. What to do:

1. In an audio track, instantiate Mini-Filter.
2. Now crate a MIDI track
3. In the Output of the MIDI track search for the MINI-Filter that was instantiated in the audio track (when instantiated, it creates a virtual MIDI In port).
4. Now, you can create the controller lanes, just like you would in a regular MIDI track, and enter data.
5. Now is the trickyer part. You need to make Mini-Filter learn what controller each of the parameters you want to use will be addressed to. For that, click the MIDI plug symbol in the right of the upper control bar;
6. Notice that all the controls that can "learn MIDI" will become violet.
7. Click one of the controllers you want to be MIDI controlled.
8. Now move the knob/fader you want to use in your MIDI controller. If all the connections are correctly done, that controller will turn red - it will now respond to that MIDI controller.

I hope you can reproduce this in your DAW. Which one is it, BTW?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
muswellhillbilly wrote: Arturia please implement a decent bypass function for those plugins within the DAWs.
I use Cubase Pro 9.5 WIN10.
There is a problem with the bypass in Cubase. This is a known issue and is being worked out. You may expect a solution in a future update.

I'm using Cubase. There are several ways to bypass fx.
I usually just do it from the 'inspector' after selecting a track and opening the 'audio insert' tab.
You can also do it from the mix console under 'routing/inserts'.
You can also open the mix console in the 'lower zone' and do it from there.
Just takes a button click to go 'on/off'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by felis on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fmr wrote: ....It can be a little tricky. I can explain how I do that in Cubase. What to do:....
I think there might be other ways to do it, but haven't played around with it yet.
But the basics are like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by felis on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fmr wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
fmr wrote:
It can be a little tricky. I can explain how I do that in Cubase. What to do:

1. In an audio track, instantiate Mini-Filter.
2. Now crate a MIDI track
3. In the Output of the MIDI track search for the MINI-Filter that was instantiated in the audio track (when instantiated, it creates a virtual MIDI In port).
4. Now, you can create the controller lanes, just like you would in a regular MIDI track, and enter data.
5. Now is the trickyer part. You need to make Mini-Filter learn what controller each of the parameters you want to use will be addressed to. For that, click the MIDI plug symbol in the right of the upper control bar;
6. Notice that all the controls that can "learn MIDI" will become violet.
7. Click one of the controllers you want to be MIDI controlled.
8. Now move the knob/fader you want to use in your MIDI controller. If all the connections are correctly done, that controller will turn red - it will now respond to that MIDI controller.

I hope you can reproduce this in your DAW. Which one is it, BTW?
No no not like that, i mean NOTE MIDI Input. For example with The Legend you can route the midi track to the plugin, so when you modulate cutoff envelope you get that smooth filter cutoff like on internal synth filter :)

(about the filters)
I think it's weird that there's no midi note trigger in
+ the inconsitency:

-Some have env-follower..1 has a real envelope (AHD)...but only a gate-trigger-sequencer.
- MiniFilter has lfo with phase... the others have lfo without "phase".
- one has a cutoff sequencer the other don't.

Great..
Hey Reaktor, here, i brings u sexy wires.

(why is it you cannot have two parallel lowpass with pan in "the drop"..wtf..btw)
Last edited by Klinke1 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- WonderEcho -

Elektronisch wrote: No no not like that, i mean NOTE MIDI Input. For example with The Legend you can route the midi track to the plugin, so when you modulate cutoff envelope you get that smooth filter cutoff like on internal synth filter :)
Yes, it's like that. You don't modulate filter cutoff with notes, you modulate it with MIDI Continuous Controller messages. I don't know about Legend, but either it has any MIDI CC already assigned to filter cutoff, or you have to make it "learn" which controller should it respond to.

That's why I started to say that you need to create a MIDI track and assign as MIDI output the virtual port created by Mini-Filter - that's your MIDI track. But BESIDES that, you also have to define which MIDI CC you want to assign to the Filter Cutoff. You can achieve the same effect you are describing.
Fernando (FMR)

Midi has 128 steps...Note-velocity and CC-data. (okok cc can has double resolution of 255 like in roland-vst)

An internal envelope or lfo can modulate parameters (cutoff maybe) much smoother...much more steps. (..supa-dupa-smooth)

An audio signal like in a modular synth is the smoothest and also can be faster because it will not loose detail at high speed. (Reaktor can has audio-rate modulation..but this will kick your CPU in the nuts..much harder)

The midi-note from keybard/DAW triggers the envelope and often can also trigger LFO.

(The midi-note triggers the envelopes and transmits pitch and velocity data ..that's all u need for a note/sound in a synth.. to hear it)
- WonderEcho -

These filters are vst3.. that screams for sidechain option for the envelope follower.
- WonderEcho -

Klinke1 wrote: The midi-note from keybard/DAW triggers the envelope and often can also trigger LFO.
What triggers the envelope is a gate. You have that in the SEM-Filter (the Gate Sequencer). It can also trigger the LFO to restart the phase. You don't need pitch data because there are no "notes" to be played, so you only need a Gate (unless I am missing something).
Fernando (FMR)

gate = note-on data (0 becomes 1)

yea, SEM is the only with a "real" AHD envelope..why do the others don't have that? And can you trigger the AHD-Env from keyboard or midi-track? If not..why not?

@FMR i wrote about it my 1st longer post.
The next post was generally about how it works.
- WonderEcho -

Since i'm interested i have to post more:

Pre-Amps:

I have the 1973 Demo. It sounds very good imho but there's some oddities/differences ..

-The IK-73 has stepped Frequencies and a mic/line switch.
-The Arturia can change the "transformer". !?
--
Seems the IK-73 setup is more true to the original and i like it more that way..
still i thought the Arturia sounded bit "better". (when pushed into distortion)
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Effects”