New TC 2290 plugin and hardware controller...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's pretty cool actually. And seems a comfortable size for a desktop. I have so many questions though. Is the hardware a dongle for the software? Will the two be split out? Or is the hardware a DSP for the software? If so, latency? Pricing info?

I don't know whether the hardware is someway of copy protecting like an iLok maybe (?) but it sure makes using the plugin a lot easier, as it's right at your fingertips, rather than reaching for the mouse and clicking fiddly icons. It's just a controller - all processing in DAW - and the plugin can be used without it plugged-in, to still access presets etc. if you're travelling.

No obvious latency tracking on my machine, but I don't have any figures.

Release is 6-8 weeks. Price $349

Gadget13769 wrote:I don't know whether the hardware is someway of copy protecting like an iLok maybe (?) but it sure makes using the plugin a lot easier, as it's right at your fingertips, rather than reaching for the mouse and clicking fiddly icons. It's just a controller - all processing in DAW - and the plugin can be used without it plugged-in, to still access presets etc. if you're travelling.

No obvious latency tracking on my machine, but I don't have any figures.

Release is 6-8 weeks. Price $349
Oh nice, didn't realize you've actually been using it. Are you a TC employee/representative, or just a tester? If the hardware doesn't need to be plugged in, then I guess it's not a dongle, but then why not sell the two spearately? Don't get me wrong, the price is better than I was expecting, but some people are going to have no interest in the hardware and may just want a nice $99 or $149 delay (which would still be premium pricing for a delay).

That said, I've got a TC Flashback delay and the 2290 mode is pretty nice. Having a detailed VST 2290 with a controller does seem pretty cool.

I think the demos sound really cool. Never had the pleasure of using the 2290 (apparently quite rare here in these parts?) so I can't comment on how close they got to it's magic.. but as it's TC electronics, they usually know what they are doing.

The price though is a bit on the steep side. I don't think I'd use the hardware controller all that much so it feels kind of like a waste that the two aren't sold separately.

Currently by far my favourite delay plugin is LEMON from Acustica Audio and it's kind of killed my desire for any more delay plugins, which I have a ton of anyhow. Echoboy from Soundtoys takes care of all the creative aspects and has also proven to be superb sounding (why didn't I get this sooner??). Finally I have FabFilter Timeless that is my go-to for crazy delay weirdness. This makes it hard to swallow the price point of the TC plugin and puts it very low on my purchase list.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

It is similar in concept the Korg Legacy Ms-20 C ... engine in software with full on emulating of the hardware controls. I have to admit I am a sucker for the hardware control and imagine a nice little corner for 2290 to sit. Maybe we mix with our ears but I think we still lust with our eyes.

I tend to agree with the price point and not optional controller issues. $350 puts it in the price realm of the DAWs that will be hosting it. It may be really cool, but does it do $350 worth of delay that all my other delay plugins can't do?

Can't say 350 is that expensive. Most UAD plugins cost 350$ and they need a hardware "controller" that cost 1000$.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Can't say 350 is that expensive. Most UAD plugins cost 350$ and they need a hardware "controller" that cost 1000$.
I don't think anyone's said $350 is too much for a plugin + cool dedicated controller. In fact, looking at this. I think the price is justified for the combo.

The vibe I was getting, or at least trying to express myself, is that $350 is way too much for just a delay if you don't need or want the dedicated hardware controller. Which is a little different.

I'm wondering what this "digital" delay (with Mod) in plugin form can do that others can't? The thing with that made the hardware rack special when released in 1985, was that is was mostly analog with a digital controller, had a good A/D converter ( it sampled at 1mhz which is the sampling frequency of high quality SACDs , instead of doing a PCM conversion)and some mojo in the input/output section.

I have 3 TC pedals and like them. The toneprint pedals have an amazing quality/price ratio for being digital (love thier Viscous Vibe Univibe pedal). I also have the Nova Repeater 1 delay pedal that has the digital 2290 mode, although I've never used it in stereo...mostly use the analog/tape with vibrato modulation or usually use it just for the reverse mode, although the only caveat for the pedal is that it's completely digital with no analog dry through, so even in bypass mode, it's still going through a digital conversion. Makes me want to get one of the Flashback series pedals but I have a Boss DM-3 on my board that is my main goto delay for true analog (never selling that, will be on the board till it dies).

The plugin comes free with the controller
Amazon: why not use an alternative

May have already been covered but is the DSP on the PC or controller?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:May have already been covered but is the DSP on the PC or controller?
Its a plugin and a usb controller
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:May have already been covered but is the DSP on the PC or controller?
Its a plugin and a usb controller
Ok, thanks.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Can't say 350 is that expensive. Most UAD plugins cost 350$ and they need a hardware "controller" that cost 1000$.
I don't think anyone's said $350 is too much for a plugin + cool dedicated controller. In fact, looking at this. I think the price is justified for the combo.

The vibe I was getting, or at least trying to express myself, is that $350 is way too much for just a delay if you don't need or want the dedicated hardware controller. Which is a little different.
Over here in the UK, prices are £357.00. That's an awful lot for a delay and a fancy controller when the Soundtoys bundle is a little over £200 during the sales. The plugin does sound very good int he demos if you like that sound but it strikes me as a very niche product.

Return to “Effects”