What are your favorite “glue” plug-in’s?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Schepps Parallel Particles is really interesting and one I've been getting into lately. Don't let the gimmicky GUI fool you.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Schepps Parallel Particles is really interesting and one I've been getting into lately. Don't let the gimmicky GUI fool you.
I'd be very interested in hearing more about how you're using it MB.

jbarish wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:Schepps Parallel Particles is really interesting and one I've been getting into lately. Don't let the gimmicky GUI fool you.
Basically I see it as an alternative to EQ (and partly compression too) - or an unorthodox EQ - it can achieve the same goals you might have but without a chain of plugins to get there. Both the Air and Sub controls produce harmonics above and below, which itself gives an effect of extended frequency range at the extreme ends... great for making the whole mix sound bigger and deeper. The sub doesn't seem to do funky pitchshifty artifacts like other "sub octave harmonic enhancement".. I have MaxxBass and LoAir and they're different sounding, they're more for instruments not the mix bus.

As always, use low amounts and volume match the output so you know it's a true improvement and not a loudness trick. It's surprised me how natural it sounds how it dynamically melds into what's already there without being too obvious or overcooked. It's fairly unique and would probably take half a dozen plugins chained together to replicate. I think it was under $29 too.

Kush UBK-1
PSP e27

simon.a.billington wrote: its all the little things you do in common that what gels a mix together. From processing sounds together on the mixbuss, or a submix, to choosing to process all the guitars with the same eq as an example. The more you have in common across your tracks, the more it contributes to mix cohesion.

There is a limit to this though, too many of the same processors makes things too muddy and dull and nothing ends up standing out. So it’s about finding that balance that works.
This. I don't want anything coloring the whole at the master out, though.

I like a balance which tends to mean enough things which don't require all this processing!

Usually prefer hardware for so called "glue", but for software the MJUC comp is the only thing that comes anywhere close, that I have tried.

Picked this up - you’re absolutely right it’s really good.

The Chase wrote:I like to duplicate the mix bus, and on a parallel channel, overdrive it an unhealthy amount, then subtly mix it in at low levels alongside your original master. I've found nothing else that provides a better glue. Pre and post EQ are necessary.
i do that too sometimes, try Cytomics The Scream for that

Despite what I’ve said earlier, I’ve got to say I do like the harmonics of the Alpha and the Millenia TCL on busses and the master, as with NLS Buss, and Cobalt Saphira.

If the mix is too sterile I don’t mind a bit of noise or even hum. It helps generate intermodulation which lends itself to mix cohesion.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Usually prefer hardware for so called "glue", but for software the MJUC comp is the only thing that comes anywhere close, that I have tried.
I'll have to check that out. It's a shame that Klanghelm doesn't do demos but the prices are very low and I've been meaning to pick up the VU meter for a while now.

I'm quite fond of HG-2 when it comes to tube emulations. I like to use it as a sub-mix, in parallel with my main mix.

Unaspected wrote:
Hermetech Mastering wrote:Usually prefer hardware for so called "glue", but for software the MJUC comp is the only thing that comes anywhere close, that I have tried.
I'll have to check that out. It's a shame that Klanghelm doesn't do demos but the prices are very low and I've been meaning to pick up the VU meter for a while now.

I'm quite fond of HG-2 when it comes to tube emulations. I like to use it as a sub-mix, in parallel with my main mix.
What is HG-2?

Black Box HG-2
A well-behaved signature.

bill45 wrote:
Unaspected wrote:

What is HG-2?
Yeah it’s based on a real world device. Kind of like a Culture Vulture thing or a Vertigo VSM-2 if you know those devices.

They use things like triodes and pentodes to generate harmonic distortion which you can blend in. The HG-2 is quite stunning, actually.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
jbarish wrote:
Basically I see it as an alternative to EQ (and partly compression too) - or an unorthodox EQ - it can achieve the same goals you might have but without a chain of plugins to get there. Both the Air and Sub controls produce harmonics above and below, which itself gives an effect of extended frequency range at the extreme ends... great for making the whole mix sound bigger and deeper. The sub doesn't seem to do funky pitchshifty artifacts like other "sub octave harmonic enhancement".. I have MaxxBass and LoAir and they're different sounding, they're more for instruments not the mix bus.

As always, use low amounts and volume match the output so you know it's a true improvement and not a loudness trick. It's surprised me how natural it sounds how it dynamically melds into what's already there without being too obvious or overcooked. It's fairly unique and would probably take half a dozen plugins chained together to replicate. I think it was under $29 too.
Do you then later ‘master’ with something like Ozone, etc? And if so, do you find it becomes too much processing? My concern is that if I use too much on the mix buss that is a pseudo-mastering gooderizer, then later process with something else (like Ozone or whatever) that it would have maybe been better to just do ozone?

simon.a.billington wrote:
bill45 wrote:
Unaspected wrote:

What is HG-2?
Yeah it’s based on a real world device. Kind of like a Culture Vulture thing or a Vertigo VSM-2 if you know those devices.

They use things like triodes and pentodes to generate harmonic distortion which you can blend in. The HG-2 is quite stunning, actually.
That's the one. There's a great thread about it over on Gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... lugin.html

There are so many things you could use it for but it will certainly do glue if you want it to.

Return to “Effects”