Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

soulone82 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Did you read my first post?
Of course. That´s why I think Waves should be made aware of your issues.
Well that is of course my intention. However, I wanted to get an idea of whether this is just a personal issue. It just struck me as odd that with the ubiquitous nature of their plugs this would be something that would be being spoken about, were people experiencing the same issues. And with 261 views of this thread, there has been only one attempt to address my points. So, either it is just down to my system, or people have not noticed it/aren't really bothered about it. Either way, I'd rather have a better picture before contacting Waves support.

So, how about you open some of your Waves plugins and confirm whether it's true or not :tu:

This is a problem for me as well. I have contacted their support but the guy/gal did not seem to know what I was talking about, so then I just told him to make it a feature request.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: I should have been clearer: I do understand what mouse acceleration is. it's just in this case, it seems to be too exaggerated. It's something that I'm sure I'd get used to. However, the issue that concerns me more is the disparity between actual movement of the knob, which does correlate with numerical change, and the actual graphical representation of the movement of the knob.
hm i thought that's linked to acceleration.. and the grafic is just too slow.
Btw, with the old SSl channel it's minimal for example.in my case. (less jumps and "confusion")

-
Could be:
Changing the knobs would be so much work, that no one is supposed to mention it..
- WonderEcho -

bFooz wrote:This is a problem for me as well. I have contacted their support but the guy/gal did not seem to know what I was talking about, so then I just told him to make it a feature request.
Thanks!

What system/daw are you running?

Klinke1 wrote:hm i thought that's linked to acceleration.. and the grafic is just too slow.
Btw, with the old SSl channel it's minimal for example.in my case. (less jumps and "confusion")

-
Could be:
Changing the knobs would be so much work, that no one is supposed to mention it..
Do you have any Waves plugins to check what I am talking about?

As for no one being "supposed to mention it": No one is. Waves plugins have likely been in every pro studio for decades, and now due to bargain-bucket pricing they are grabbing the rest of us. Is it that people aren't really noticing, or are they just not bothered by something that, for me, makes them horrible to use?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thanks!

Win7 64bit, Reaper

Same behaviour here on macOS too. I'm totally on the same page and I've always wondered why Waves users seemingly can deal with plug-ins that feel like they're running on Windows 98. I sometimes find myself shaking my mouse or trackpad, as if they were defective.

There was a discussione last year --->> viewtopic.php?p=6843247
Actually it has been discussed several times on several places, but nothing really changed.
I'm curious to see if it'll get improved with V10.

I have dozens of their plugins, some are fine, some are laggy, the worst on that matter is probably the PuigTec.
Using the mousewheel is somehow more responsive than mouse drag-and-drop, however quite ironically, the fact that the GUI is so unresponsive, it actually pushed me to focus more on listening without looking at the screen so much... something which is generally recommended by the experts. The PuigTec at lest reminds me about that everytime I open it :hihi:

In my experience, older Waves plug-ins worked well and were relatively light on CPU, memory, and etcetera. Then about 5 years ago, they started implementing OpenGL-driven interfaces and things started getting boggy, buggy, and slow. I still enjoy my older Waves plug-ins, but the newer ones, like "DBX160", "ABR Plates", and others, sound great, but are just too resource demanding on native platforms. It's as though they've stopped caring about optimizing their code, *at all. :(

Ahhh, this brings me to my final point . . .

My speculation is that Waves don't give a rat's nose about speedy GUI response and tidy CPU usage anymore. Perhaps they want us all to get onboard with their dedicated "SoundGrid" platform and start buying specialized hardware from them, to properly run their ever-on-sale wares? You know, doing the whole HP printer type-of-deal: buy cheap printer, pay fortune for ink. They are, after all, God's chosen people and very money cunning.

Don't forget, back in the day, Waves' prices were ridiculously exorbitant. They almost single-handedly created this whole "plug-in industry". Obviously, they can't charge $1200 for their "API", or their "SSL 4000" bundles now-a-days. They had to come up with a different tactic to try gouge $$ out of we dumb westerners. :wink:

*Chuckle, maybe they should start naming their plug-ins 5 of 9, 6 of 9, 7 of 9 . . . . We're expected to assimilate. :borg:
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Old video card, outdated drivers or operator error?
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

bFooz wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thanks!

Win7 64bit, Reaper
Ok, so it's completely system-agnostic. Thanks :tu:

alexpander wrote:Same behaviour here on macOS too. I'm totally on the same page and I've always wondered why Waves users seemingly can deal with plug-ins that feel like they're running on Windows 98. I sometimes find myself shaking my mouse or trackpad, as if they were defective.
It's bizarre :scared:

Niowiad wrote:There was a discussione last year --->> viewtopic.php?p=6843247
Actually it has been discussed several times on several places, but nothing really changed.
I'm curious to see if it'll get improved with V10.

I have dozens of their plugins, some are fine, some are laggy, the worst on that matter is probably the PuigTec.
Using the mousewheel is somehow more responsive than mouse drag-and-drop, however quite ironically, the fact that the GUI is so unresponsive, it actually pushed me to focus more on listening without looking at the screen so much... something which is generally recommended by the experts. The PuigTec at lest reminds me about that everytime I open it :hihi:
Thanks for the link. So, it seems that Waves know about this issue :scared: How did these plugins scrape through the testing process?

I also have the Puig-tec, and it's embarrassing :oops:

As for the whole 'using your ears' argument: Of course, it has it's merits. However, this is absolutely not what Waves is trying to push. They are holding onto skeuomorphism, and elaborate (even over-exaggeratedly ornate nonsense), while others are moving towards simple, scaleable ui's. Make no mistake, Waves are pushing us to interact with these interfaces as they are presented. Shame they can't get them to run smoothly, like every other developer :shrug:

Brother Charles wrote: Perhaps they want us all to get onboard with their dedicated "SoundGrid" platform and start buying specialized hardware from them, to properly run their ever-on-sale wares?

They had to come up with a different tactic to try gouge $$ out of we dumb westerners. :wink:
Call me crazy, but the way to get me to spend more money is not to demonstrate an inability to code a smooth user experience :scared:

poleda wrote:Old video card, outdated drivers or operator error?
Now we're cooking :tu:

Any chance you could upload a video showing how your Waves plugins are working?

Return to “Effects”