Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From what I see in the screen grab is it's not consistently causing an issue.

One work around i've found is that because I have a mouse with on the fly adjustable sensitivity , I lower it to minimum, so the mouse pointer barely moves, and everything is smoother.

But I have a feeling it's bottleneck between video GPU, CPU and the load on the DAW.

An empty project in Cubase has no problems with waves GUIs , a loaded one does, yet I have 4 gig of VRAM and 8gb of RAM.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:From what I see in the screen grab is it's not consistently causing an issue.
That's because you can't see the movements I'm making to cause various on-screen reactions. The only way it looks smooth is if I move very quickly, which obviously doesn't work for fine adjustments
LeVzi wrote:One work around i've found is that because I have a mouse with on the fly adjustable sensitivity , I lower it to minimum, so the mouse pointer barely moves, and everything is smoother.
That's not going to work for me. I am constantly switching between trackpad and Wacom tablet, neither of which have on-the-fly adjustment. Even then, to have to keep adjusting every time I use a plugin, then re-adjust for everything else is not a workflow compromise that I'd want to make

Thanks for the suggestion, though
LeVzi wrote:But I have a feeling it's bottleneck between video GPU, CPU and the load on the DAW.

Again, this situation doesn't change for me whether I have wi-fi on or off, whether I have multiple other apps open, or making sure my daw is the only thing in use. It doesn't make a difference whether I have one Waves plugin loaded, or whether I have twenty :shrug: you can see there is no lag when I switch quickly between the different buttons.
LeVzi wrote:An empty project in Cubase has no problems with waves GUIs , a loaded one does, yet I have 4 gig of VRAM and 8gb of RAM.
I only have 512g VRAM, but 16g RAM. And like I said, this is an issue that is absolutely consistent from the first instantiation to the last

LeVzi wrote:From what I see in the screen grab is it's not consistently causing an issue.

One work around i've found is that because I have a mouse with on the fly adjustable sensitivity , I lower it to minimum, so the mouse pointer barely moves, and everything is smoother.

But I have a feeling it's bottleneck between video GPU, CPU and the load on the DAW.

An empty project in Cubase has no problems with waves GUIs , a loaded one does, yet I have 4 gig of VRAM and 8gb of RAM.
8gb RAM is a bit tight for a DAW, still doable. I don’t think it would be the source of your issues. Still it’s odd that it seems to work fine on an empty project.

Did you check that your Open CL/GL and graphic driver is up to date??

simon.a.billington wrote:

8gb RAM is a bit tight for a DAW, still doable. I don’t think it would be the source of your issues. Still it’s odd that it seems to work fine on an empty project.

I wonder, when (if) you have a moment, if you could look at the video and see how it compares to your experience.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:

I wonder, when (if) you have a moment, if you could look at the video and see how it compares to your experience.
I will look at it when I get the chance. Although, I haven’t really had a bad experience with the the rendering. I’ve just encountered it a few times online in the past and are aware of other people having graphic related issues.

Just got a my first two Waves plugins (free courtesy of Presonus and Image-Line) and the first thing I notice is the knobs are too twitchy, too hard to fine-adjust. The plugin itself seems to implement mouse acceleration, but so does Windows. The two, when combined, create huge acceleration and a knob can go from 0 to max with a tiny movement of the mouse. I don't know why the plugin needs to implement its own acceleration when the OS already does it and it applies globally. Not only that, users get used to the OS acceleration, and anything else feels odd. At least they were free...

Scoox wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm Just got a my first two Waves plugins (free courtesy of Presonus and Image-Line) and the first thing I notice is the knobs are too twitchy, too hard to fine-adjust. The plugin itself seems to implement mouse acceleration, but so does Windows. The two, when combined, create huge acceleration and a knob can go from 0 to max with a tiny movement of the mouse. I don't know why the plugin needs to implement its own acceleration when the OS already does it and it applies globally. Not only that, users get used to the OS acceleration, and anything else feels odd. At least they were free...
That's interesting! Didn't think about a conflict in acceleration. Mind you, I didn't get the sense that most people seemed to notice.

Just gave up on my Waves plugs, and now I'd have to pay WUP to even install them :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pmnow I'd have to pay WUP to even install them :scared:
Why? Are you still von V9? If yes, you can download V9 offline installer. That's what I did.
https://www.waves.com/downloads/v9

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pmThat's interesting! Didn't think about a conflict in acceleration. Mind you, I didn't get the sense that most people seemed to notice.

Just gave up on my Waves plugs, and now I'd have to pay WUP to even install them :scared:
Did you give up on them because of the mouse problem? I've got just two Waves plugins and both exhibit this problem. For me this is a massive deal breaker, immediately, regardless how nice the plugin may sound. I've loaded the plugin just now for the first time, tweaked a knob and the next thing I did was google it and here I am now.

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pmnow I'd have to pay WUP to even install them :scared:
Why? Are you still von V9? If yes, you can download V9 offline installer. That's what I did.
https://www.waves.com/downloads/v9
I didn't realise. Thanks! But after watching my screengrab again, I think I'll probably just leave them buried :scared:

there's simply no way around it: waves gui's are atrocious to use with a mouse. not a chance I'd keep em around if I didn't use a controller.

Scoox wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pmThat's interesting! Didn't think about a conflict in acceleration. Mind you, I didn't get the sense that most people seemed to notice.

Did you give up on them because of the mouse problem?
Yup! It might not be a dealbreaker on something like a master limiter where I'm not going to need to make tons of adjustments. However with a channel strip on every track, for most mixing tasks, it ain't gonna cut it.

Are we the only one's with graphics card comflicts? Or do others not really notice? I probably should have contacted Waves about it, but I just got the sense that it was going to end up with them telling me the problem must be with my configuracion, otherwise everybody would be complaining :shrug:

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm there's simply no way around it: waves gui's are atrocious to use with a mouse. not a chance I'd keep em around if I didn't use a controller.
Yet another one with graphic-card incompatibility? :scared:

it's just poorly made, visually it looks laggy and clunky, you move the knob slow and steady and all of a sudden there's a 15° jump out of nowhere. lots of plugins nowadays have good, smooth knob movement, with waves you can very much tell the architecture is 20 years old.

I can't see how this would be graphics-related. It's just poorly implemented. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I mean, all other plugins I use don't have this problem. What really surprises me is the fact that I hear nothing but praise for Waves plugins and frankly I was disappointed within seconds of loading my first Waves pluggo. Maybe they sound stellar, but in 2019 it's not like we are not spoiled for choice. Waves' website 'Plugins' section contains 7 pages with 20 plugins each. Never mind the sucky mouse implementation, this "wall of plugins" is enough to scare me away. It seems they offer a thousand one-trick ponies instead of offering a modest selection of versatile plugins that are able to cover a lot of sonic ground—the way U-he and others do. I'm out.

Return to “Effects”