MSpectral Delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSpectralDelay

Is anybody else getting unwanted distortion in the low frequencies when the "transform" knob is set to anything above 0%? I'm guessing it's a windowing thing (sounds like it) maybe causes by frequencies that are close to 50/50 in neighboring bins. It gets a bit quieter when the fft size gets cranked up but it's still there. I'm pretty excited about this thing. It's not nearly as CPU friendly as the old spektral delay from NI, but it's pretty damn flexible when you throw in all the modulations.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Is anybody else getting unwanted distortion in the low frequencies when "transform is set to anything above 0%? I'm guessing it's a windowing thing (sounds like it) maybe causes by frequencies that are close to 50/50 in neighboring bins. It gets a bit quieter when the fft size gets cranked up but it's still there. I'm pretty excited about this thing. It's not nearly as CPU friendly as the old spektral delay from NI, but it's pretty damn flexible when you throw in all the modulations.
Yes distortion is audible here too. Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset. That's way too high compared to other spectral delays! Also I notice artefacts in the higher frequencies (like mp3 codec noise).

mike_the_ranger wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:Is anybody else getting unwanted distortion in the low frequencies when "transform is set to anything above 0%? I'm guessing it's a windowing thing (sounds like it) maybe causes by frequencies that are close to 50/50 in neighboring bins. It gets a bit quieter when the fft size gets cranked up but it's still there. I'm pretty excited about this thing. It's not nearly as CPU friendly as the old spektral delay from NI, but it's pretty damn flexible when you throw in all the modulations.
Yes distortion is audible here too. Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset. That's way too high compared to other spectral delays! Also I notice artefacts in the higher frequencies (like mp3 codec noise).
Yeah. I'm getting pretty high CPU consumption on my system as well. It's more along the lines of 10% of a core. I got it as high a 50% with huge fft sizes just as a test, but I won't generally be using sizes over 2048 except for sound design where I'll resample and deactivate the plugin anyway. I'm more concerned with wacky distortions and such at pretty simple settings. The MP3 type loss of high end is less severe when the "keep above 20k" is on. When that data is tossed out the brick wall style drop off of frequencies becomes very noticeable when doing any downshifting. I don't recall any of the other Melda fft based plugins being as CPU hungry as this one. I guess I should check out the v12 copies though. It's possible that all the plugins are a bit more processor heavy. All in all though, Mspectral delay and spec ops combined make up for all the other plugins that have been abandoned. I'm still mad about spectrumworxdying off and NI canning spektral delay, but there's not much that it could do before that I can't do now on my own with these two plugins.

Edit: whoopsie!

Ah_Dziz wrote:
elassi wrote:Still wondering why NI stopped selling their Spectral Delay.

Aphex twin released an entire ep with nothing but spektral delay on it.
LOL , it could have been any program that does fft .,
Metasynth for example
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I checked to only install spektral delay , checked , double checked .
Yet the whole bunch is installed .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:I checked to only install spektral delay , checked , double checked .
Yet the whole bunch is installed .
Have fun uninstalling it. The last time I checked, the uninstaller left data on the disc in several places :dog:

I have to create an account to get it free? No thanks :ud:

You don't see any plugins that you don't install, except maybe MXXX which allows you to test their stuff inside a modular hosting plugin.

Downloaded this today, very nice "easy" delays to start me off, hoping to get under the hood and start designing my own once I get familiar with the interface (although from today's brief attempts, think keeping the limiter on could be a very shrewd move, not sure quite what the neighbours made of a feedback loop of spectral noise around teatime, thankfully my speakers remain in one piece).

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset.
I think Cpu drops when the Gui is closed, might be wrong
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset.
I think Cpu drops when the Gui is closed, might be wrong
I thought the ui rendering is hardware accelerated. Besides that the melda gui really doesn't look like it needs lots of processing power :D

Soundplex wrote:I have to create an account to get it free? No thanks :ud:
I personally feel like it's legitimate to ask for a mailing list subscription or a website account creation for good quality freebies. And this doesn't even fully qualify as a "freebie" as it is only a temporary offer... the plugin goes up to $100 regular price in a couple of weeks.

Niowiad wrote:
Soundplex wrote:I have to create an account to get it free? No thanks :ud:
I personally feel like it's legitimate to ask for a mailing list subscription or a website account creation for good quality freebies. And this doesn't even fully qualify as a "freebie" as it is only a temporary offer... the plugin goes up to $100 regular price in a couple of weeks.
:dog:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Surprised there's no feedback yet on how MSpectral Delay sounds....

Ultra smooth washes, crystaline delays, metallic fragments, or just a subtle delay with a little spice... This thing is NUTS ! :o

Return to “Effects”