The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How many of you have seen a difference in prices for updating a plugin's WUP depending on it's date registered ?

I mean, I have a single that I bought back in 2013, one of the Bass enhancers (I forget it's name, maxxbass I think) and to update the WUP will cost me around $22.50 and to update Trans X which I registered in 2017 but it's run out, will cost me $7.50

Both plugins are V9.20 listed on the site.

So why are they charging triple for a plugin that is V9 and only needs to goto V10 , when the other has just run out of WUP. Makes no sense and is obviously a con, because if it was V8 i'd understand the price hike.

I asked them directly, and just got told it "depends" and I should consider upgrading to horizon....

FFS Waves, should be a flat rate from V9 to V10 WUP renewals, not age dependant.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Just looked in my account they want $254.80 for an update plan to use plugins I paid quite a lot for.. note to self: should have read the small print before buying in to the Waves malarky

So Iv'e got all these below wasting away in my Waves account..

rob_lee wrote:Just looked in my account they want $254.80 for an update plan to use plugins I paid quite a lot for
No you're not. Its an 'update' plan, not a 'use' plan. You only need to pay for WUP if you want updates or to resell.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Just looked in my account they want $254.80 for an update plan to use plugins I paid quite a lot for
No you're not. Its an 'update' plan, not a 'use' plan. You only need to pay for WUP if you want updates or to resell.
Thing is I tried installing my older stuff and it's a no go on the latest mac os, no big deal I'm mostly using hardware now, so much less hassle

rob_lee wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Thing is I tried installing my older stuff and it's a no go on the latest mac os
It's pretty safe to say that something else is the reason if you have problems installing them on your machine - it certainly has nothing to do with WUP. You should have sent them an e-mail about THAT instead.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

In a way it makes sense, for plugins you purchased in 2013 (and WUP expired in 2014) you're actually buying 4 years of updates, that's why it's much more expensive.

Reefius wrote:In a way it makes sense, for plugins you purchased in 2013 (and WUP expired in 2014) you're actually buying 4 years of updates, that's why it's much more expensive.
No I am not, all my 2013 plugins are running the latest V9's, they all updated from then when the releases came. I thought you only needed a WUP to go from V9 to V10 for example. So why charge more for that ? It should be a flat rate.

If it was V8 to V10 I can understand that, it makes sense in that case.

There have been a LOT of Waves threads lately, most discussing the WUP. Mods, roll this into one of the others?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I wished peeps would stop announcing "scams" when all that is happening is that they're unfamiliar with companies' business plans. TBH, i feel scammed by thread titles like that. ;)

Regarding OP question, yes I did notice that WUP for plugins, I bought earlier, costs more.

chk071 wrote:I wished peeps would stop announcing "scams" when all that is happening is that they're unfamiliar with companies' business plans. TBH, i feel scammed by thread titles like that. ;)
If it's not a blatant scam then what is it ? Good business practice ? Hardly.

LeVzi wrote:
chk071 wrote:I wished peeps would stop announcing "scams" when all that is happening is that they're unfamiliar with companies' business plans. TBH, i feel scammed by thread titles like that. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJIrasladg

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeVzi wrote:
Define "good business practice". Or, better, define it not, because it's hardly an objective thing to judge.

chk071 wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
Define "good business practice". Or, better, define it not, because it's hardly an objective thing to judge.
Well in this case, allow all V9 plugins to be updated , then those out of WUP need it renewed to go to V10, but some cost more than others yet they are all the same Version number. I dont see how that's ethical, business wise it will make more money, but ethical? Nope.

LeVzi wrote:
How is it any more of a scam than any of the other methods by which companies charge money for updated versions?
Or are you claiming that Waves are unique in not providing updated versions forever for free?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”