The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mathematics wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:Advice please...

If you've got V9 and V10 working together perfectly, what happens when you buy a new plugin... just install as normal through Waves central, or is there the potential for something to break?
If you just bought it, like within the last couple of days and in my case, specifically AR Chambers, you'll end up with a new WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.dll file that you would have to copy to your custom VST folder. In Live, this will create a new folder group called something like WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.

I don't know about Pro Tools though because it seems to just load up fine. It works fine in Performer...no issues.

If it's one of the older but updated plugins that you bought, say for instance...L2, I don't know. Perhaps same results? I'd like to know. Just know, that if it doesn't show up in Live, you may have a new Shell2 file to deal with.
AR Chamber 'went into' WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.dll, plugins that I already owned that were upgraded (ie those still under WUP, including a couple only two or three months old) 'went into' WaveShell-VST 10.0_x64.dll, including some only a couple of months old as V9s. (I found this eventually became the case with V9, there were two WaveShell dlls being created.)

Note : I dont use WaveShells directly, I create individual plugin stub .dlls with Shell2VST, which still works prefectly with V10.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

bobhva wrote:
ATN69 wrote:I already tried and updated to v10 but with a disasterous result. All plugins disappeared from FL Studio and I had to spend a number of hours getting all back to version 9 again. Half of my plugs still have WUP but when I upgraded to 10 all plugs, including the ones having WUP disappeared. I don’t mind the WUP. What bother me most is how messy and complicated it’s been so far with the shift from v9 to v10, and having to spend so much time to repair the installation. I’m very careful to touch my current installation because I don’t want to end up in the same mess again. Once you burn yourself it’s only natural to stay away from fire
I understand, I also understand that the experience is not the same for everyone. The first part of my last post was in reply to your question about all new plugins being v10, the rest of it wasn't necessarily directed at you but just my opinion on WUP being a "scam".

I was just fine sticking with keeping all my stuff v9 until they released the AR Chambers and I realized it was v10 only. I decided to go ahead and buy it and I'm very glad that I did as it is a very useful reverb to me. When I downloaded the new Wave Central I was super cautious and read everything I could before going through it. When I installed AR Chambers and the rest of my WUP'd plugins it asked me if I wanted to update all of my plugins to v10 and I chose the option not to. After that I ran the cleanup utility and everything worked as expected. Mixing v9 and v10 could definitely be made easier, but if you take your time it will work just fine. Though I do understand your hesitation to try it again.
BTW, the ver. 10 WC does NOT ask, as you refer, if the user wants to update all the plugins to ver.10. It asks, "do you want to update your plugin". This may be confusing, if you dont know how this works.
"Update" can mean just the latest feature, inside the version (9). And if you push the "yes" -option, the consequences are a lot of meaningles extra work, if you dont have ver.10 licensies for all of your stuff. :dog:

whyterabbyt wrote:
Mathematics wrote:

If you've got V9 and V10 working together perfectly, what happens when you buy a new plugin... just install as normal through Waves central, or is there the potential for something to break?
If you just bought it, like within the last couple of days and in my case, specifically AR Chambers, you'll end up with a new WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.dll file that you would have to copy to your custom VST folder. In Live, this will create a new folder group called something like WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.

I don't know about Pro Tools though because it seems to just load up fine. It works fine in Performer...no issues.

If it's one of the older but updated plugins that you bought, say for instance...L2, I don't know. Perhaps same results? I'd like to know. Just know, that if it doesn't show up in Live, you may have a new Shell2 file to deal with.
AR Chamber 'went into' WaveShell2-VST 10.0_x64.dll, plugins that I already owned that were upgraded (ie those still under WUP, including a couple only two or three months old) 'went into' WaveShell-VST 10.0_x64.dll, including some only a couple of months old as V9s. (I found this eventually became the case with V9, there were two WaveShell dlls being created.)

Note : I dont use WaveShells directly, I create individual plugin stub .dlls with Shell2VST, which still works prefectly with V10.
Thank you for confirming this. So, there you go...it is true. My updated V10 plugins from V9 do have their own folder group, that is, if one uses Live and it seems that Chambers is the odd one out with it's own shell. Oh, btw, I don't know of another DAW that organizes Wave Shells into folder groups. It's something cumbersome to deal with. I wonder which other plugins group-in with Chambers.

Shell2VST sounds promising. I'll have to check that out. To be honest, this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Thanks for sharing that.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote:Shell2VST sounds promising. I'll have to check that out. To be honest, this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Thanks for sharing that.
Its very handy for narrowing down the variants as well, ie I get rid of all the superfluous 'Mono' and 'Mono-Stereo' alternates.

You may find that a host doesnt like specific stub versions (Tracktion Waveform doesnt like the Stereo version of a couple of the IR plugins for some reason) but Ive not noticed any issues in Live.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Mathematics wrote:

Yes it was Waves AR Chambers. After purchase (direct from Waves.com) it appeared in my Waves Central, where I simply installed it as normal - there was an overall update involved too (the WaveShell thing I think). Ran a full re-scan in FL Studio, bathed the kids, came back and there it was. No damage to existing V9/V10 list it seems.

I think I've dodged several bullets through my whole V9/V10 process.

Wave s plugins are a scam and i will ditch the ones i have through princple .
I was not told after purchasing them it would cost me every year to update.
They have lost my custom , so join me and teach em a lesson

bungle15 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm Wave s plugins are a scam and i will ditch the ones i have through princple .
Is everything you’re incapable of understanding a scam?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

bungle15 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm Wave s plugins are a scam and i will ditch the ones i have through princple .
No. But thanks for the story.

bungle15 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pm join me and teach em a lesson
are you a qualified teacher?

bungle15 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 pmI was not told after purchasing them it would cost me every year to update.
You don't need to pay anything to continue to use your Waves plugins. WUP is optional (unless Apple forces you to upgrade but you can't blame Waves for that).
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Why do so many people on here think you need to purchase a WUP plan to carry on using Waves plug ins?
I've bought dozens of V9, 10 and 11, never purchased a WUP and every single one works perfectly. Stop spreading BS.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:32 am Why do so many people on here think you need to purchase a WUP plan to carry on using Waves plug ins?
Because they're less than bright?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am
ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:32 am Why do so many people on here think you need to purchase a WUP plan to carry on using Waves plug ins?
Because they're less than bright?
I've just had an epiphany. Perhaps this is Waves' method of filtering out the less intelligent amongst us so that they're not customers. Surely it results in a reduced number of support tickets. Genius frankly.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

That must be it - sorry bungle15, you’ll remain lonely...

I haven’t made that update yet, I don’t really have a use for a second license at the moment, so I’m kind of waiting and seeing what ends up happening with their exclusive deals and their masterclasses.

They do have 25% off WUP right now so I am a little tempted, but I think I might pass this one up.

Return to “Effects”