The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No theyr not scaming, but god damn theyr WUP does make it look like its a scam. On top of that with every version update they do not allow previous version download from theyr waves central only offering to upgrade.

jens wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:Well done blaming Waves instead of Apple. :tu:
Where did he do that?
For instance in the thread title?

(jeez - can't believe you're really asking this :help:)
Jeez. I wasn't talking about the OP. I presumed your reply was to Rob Lee's comments above it. He didn't start the thread and didn't apportion any blame.

BTW I agree with your point ;)

Elektronisch wrote:No theyr not scaming, but god damn theyr WUP does make it look like its a scam. On top of that with every version update they do not allow previous version download from theyr waves central only offering to upgrade.
https://www.waves.com/downloads. Go to legacy versions. You can download starting from version 6 (2009).

Formally it is not a scam. Like Crysonic weren't technically scammers also. But Waves with their always 90% discounts, convoluted WUP, crappy Central/install/uninstall, restrictive secondhand resell policies, "use on one computer" tricks etc. will soon become new Crysonic (if not yet).

imrae wrote:
mgw38 wrote:
imrae wrote:I refer back to my point that users shouldn't have to put in extra work to get good value.
Every purchasing decision requires some work in order to get the best value.
Good suppliers help you make those choices instead of dangling bad ones in front of you.
Waves is not a supplier, they are a developer. If you go to everyplugin.com and ask them about your WUP situation they will find the absolute best option for you. I've done that multiple times.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Blaster wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:No theyr not scaming, but god damn theyr WUP does make it look like its a scam. On top of that with every version update they do not allow previous version download from theyr waves central only offering to upgrade.
https://www.waves.com/downloads. Go to legacy versions. You can download starting from version 6 (2009).
I know you can, but there are people who are not so "thoughtful", yes it might sound weird, but there are and instead of downloading just use the upgrade option :)

In the end from user expierience its still not very nice from waves not to offer download via wavescentral

thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Where did he do that?

Jeez. I wasn't talking about the OP. I presumed your reply was to Rob Lee's comments above it. He didn't start the thread and didn't apportion any blame.

Jeez - my bad - I somehow managed to confuse one with the other... :oops: :help: :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Where did he do that?

Jeez - my bad - I somehow managed to confuse one with the other... :oops: :help: :oops:
:hihi: no sweat.

Waves is so much money centered that it is getting ridiculous

mgw38 wrote: - Explore upgrade options. It is quite often cheaper to upgrade than to WUP. Especially now is a good time since Gold and Horizon are deeply discounted.
Bingo! How many times have you seen people mention this. It's part of the 'Customer Journey' and you are fully being manipulated but somehow still feel like you discovered a sneaky bargain.

And then re-WUPing bundles is even more pricey, so up the upgrade ladder you go. Clever.

I‘m quite happy that I left this crazy WAVES world two years ago. This whole money grabbing behaviour of them is not worth it to support. And there are enough better alternatives.

MogwaiBoy wrote:
mgw38 wrote: - Explore upgrade options. It is quite often cheaper to upgrade than to WUP. Especially now is a good time since Gold and Horizon are deeply discounted.
Bingo! How many times have you seen people mention this. It's part of the 'Customer Journey' and you are fully being manipulated but somehow still feel like you discovered a sneaky bargain.

And then re-WUPing bundles is even more pricey, so up the upgrade ladder you go. Clever.
Yes and no. WUP is capped at $225.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

jens wrote:
LeVzi wrote: I've never been against paying to update if I feel it's justified. But the difference for the same damn plugin same revision, just one was bought 3 years ago over 1 year ago isn't right. And that is what im getting at.
Well if you had regularly updated these plugins, you would have enjoyed the service of unpaid updates for three years (vs. one for the other plugin). So that's what they charge for - and I can't see what's wrong with that. At the very least I think this can hardly be called "a scam".
Yeah I have noticed a few people fell into this category myself. One was a V9.2 user, and they were giving away V9.3 free for quite a long time. But now the user is stuck with pre 64-bit plugins which won’t run inside most hosts or macOS Mojave, when it is released.

Thankfully I’m on V9.9.x, so it works fine inside Logic 10.4.x and Mojave shouldn’t be an issue for me either.

It pays to stay on top of your updates people.

What do you mean? Waves support 64bit since V9.0 which came out in 2012...
Last edited by jens on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

martinjuenke wrote:I‘m quite happy that I left this crazy WAVES world two years ago. This whole money grabbing behaviour of them is not worth it to support. And there are enough better alternatives.
I agree, there are better alternatives from so many great devs and small companies.
I've never had one, and don't plan to ever own a Waves product.
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Effects”