PSP EQs, which to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

If you haven't known this, all PSP eqs are on sale now. I literally have none of them, but I do have many other eqs (mostly from PA and waves). I am wondering if any of them is really worth getting. I know PSP's stuff are always worth buying but is there any PSP eq that offers unique features/character, which is not available in any other eqs on the market?

I know I should demo them all and decide by myself. But if somebody could share some insights, it will definitely help me save some time. Thanks in advance for your replies! :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Do you have high-quality parametrics? I just grabbed Neon and MasterQ for that purpose. The FAT mode is supposed to give enhanced processing for the highs, I think. Sorry I can't be more help, I'm no expert when it comes to EQ. ;)
A well-behaved signature.

The one thing about the MasterQ2 that I have always liked was the ability to lock the P-graph and phase shift it through the frequencies and cause the other filters to operate on harmonics/overtones. That alone is well worth the money. I mean...you could do it manually, but it's nice the task is completely automated. Melda's MAutoDynamicEQ can do this as well.
More on that feature. I find, that when I EQ a voice, I sweep and end up eq'ing the overtones all the time for that "one" fundamental. MasterQ2 takes care of that and automatically assigns the filter to the next harmonic tone instead of me having to fish around for it. So, this comes in handy for orchestral stuff all the time. Especially violins and flutes. It's a wonder on vocals and voice-overs. For spectral sound design, you can do some cool effects with the P-graph sweep. That is super cool. Aside from all this, the workflow is good too.

Heck, for $30...I think I might finally get it too; I've been wanting the MasterQ2 for quite some time. Thanks for posting this.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

I like them all but for different reasons. The classicq and consoleq for character. Neon for surgery or general purpose, nobleq for classy eq. I don’t yet have the masterq2 but now that you posted perhaps i will. PSP make great stuff and they’re great people, too.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Cool, guess I will grab MasterQ2 first! Just a reminder guys, you can buy from JRR shop with coupon code "forum" for extra $3 discount
Trance, Trance Is Life

E27 is CPU intensive but the best algorithmic ITB EQ if you ask me. One of those desert island plugins.

E27 is their best EQ imo. I always thought the McQ was underrated too. It was my favorite for eqing growly bass and 808s. Lots of character.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:E27 is CPU intensive but the best algorithmic ITB EQ if you ask me. One of those desert island plugins.
I will have to check that out.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

My picks: MasterQ, E27 and PreQursor2 (the only one that's had a major update in recent years I think)

MogwaiBoy wrote:My picks: MasterQ, E27 and PreQursor2 (the only one that's had a major update in recent years I think)
PreQursor2 is definitely underrated.

I have all but the ClassicQ, ConsoleQ and the RetroQ. They are all very good
and a steal for the current promo. In my book, I would rate the E27 the highest,
it's definitely right up there with the best of em. But yeah, light on the CPU
is not a good description for it.

They're all great-sounding and very useful. Obviously E27 is outstanding, I like ClassicQ as an all-round EQ/saturator (especially for pushed-speaker kinds of sound), and NobleQ is my favorite Pultec emu. MasterQ is an excellent "quick mastering" tool with the stereo width and saturation/limiter options.

E27 and NobleQ are outstanding eqs. They sound great and are very all around useful.
PreQursor 2 is just a notch below those two.
Others (Console,Retro,McQ,Classic) are decent but for me there is nothing about them that makes you go ooh or sets them apart from a dozen other eqs.

Have not tried MasterQ or Neon.

NobleQ for me. The tube model might not have as much buzzword fodder as Slate, but it sounds wonderfully smooth and full of character. I use it all the time.

Just a recommendation: pop some of these [or any] EQ's into something like Plugin Doctor or VST Plugin Analyzer and check for aliasing prior to purchase. The newer PSP EQ's like E27 [especially E27] and PreQursor2 perform very well in this regard, but the older plugins don't do as well IMO. Most people may not even notice or care, but it's always something I check for these days before making a purchase. Tools like that are also a great way to get a feel for what the plugin is really doing and how the curves look, if there are harmonics being generated, etc.

Return to “Effects”