One FX plugin (self-)challenge - guess the plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right... this a bit of a proof of concept if you will.

This weekend (being a grass-widower&child free right now I have a lot more time than usually) I had the idea to create a little musical piece just using one certain FX plugin. The guitars, bass and organ have all been DI-ed completely dry straight from the instrument's out.

I cheated a bit with the drums, since it's Superior Drummer using internal comps, etc. - but otherwise I only used nine instances of the same plugin (one of them on the master-bus - no "mastering" otherwise. Who wants to have a guess what it is?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/12dbdntdfql3p ... h.mp3?dl=0
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Oh, b.t.w.: while I don't want to reveal too much, I will say this much: what I have been using might surprise you.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's U-he Colour Copy.

Nice guess, but no, it isn't - as I said, everything (drums aside) was recorded completely without any processors at all. :-)

But thanks for the heads up - I completely missed that the public beta of Colour Copy is out. :-D

Here is what it sounds like without those nine instances of the same plugin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i1i9x4r7udgc ... y.mp3?dl=0

jens wrote:Nice guess, but no, it isn't - as I said, everything (drums aside) was recorded completely without any processors at all. :-)
Yeah, that's why I figured it would be a great surprise if it was Colour Copy :) .. I've been experimenting with it abusing it like a distortion/saturator, and thought, hmmm, it would be really cool if that was actually pulled off with it.

It could be Zebrify :P

Guenon wrote:I've been experimenting with it abusing it like a distortion/saturator, and thought, hmmm, it would be really cool if that was actually pulled off with it.

Yes, I absolutely get what you mean - which is why I said "nice guess" as it is something - in some way - along those lines indeed.
Guenon wrote:It could be Zebrify :P
Perhaps - but it isn't a multi-fx in the conventional sense at all - that would have been cheating, wouldn't it?

Your Colour Copy guess was really a good one!

jens wrote:Perhaps - but it isn't a multi-fx in the conventional sense at all - that would have been cheating, wouldn't it?
Yes, it would :D

Thanks, okay I'll let someone else guess now instead of flooding this with even more guesses, heh.

No, by all means: just go ahead please - only that much though: I don't own any U-He plugins. ;-)

Elton John

I'm thinking channel strip. I thought Metric Halo Channelstrip 3 at first.

I'll go for Scheps Omni Channel.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

soulone82 wrote:Elton John

Nice one - I have it and theoretically possible but:

no matter how I tried to tweak it, I found its distortion to always be more on the ugly side - even the "tubby" mode sounds more like a bit-crusher to me.

What do you guys think about the guitar sound in my example?

Have a listen to the break-up.

The Noodlist wrote:I'm thinking channel strip. I thought Metric Halo Channelstrip 3 at first.

I'll go for Scheps Omni Channel.
MH Channel Strip does not have distortion though, or does it?

In regards to Omni Channel: if I would use the available slot to load another Waves-plugin, then I would have been using two plugins, not one - and I didn't. ;-)

Okay, it's......

MConvolutionMB by MeldaProduction :D

Return to “Effects”