The Complete VST Amp Sim List!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks NEKRO.MACHINE - I'll register and download the Waves demo. I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and have used Fender amps live since the mid 70s so the Waves Super Reverb ("Drive") caught my eye. I've been using Telecaster + Super Reverb/Tweed Bassman wide open without pedals for years now so you can picture the kind of sound I'm after. I've tried the Revalver MkIII demo but I found myself tweaking instead of recording which I daren't start getting into again as I know how addictive that is. I did own Revalver MkII but for the above reason I hardly ever used it and sold the licence last year - it did sound very good though. Believe it or not I'm still using my trusty old Amplitube LE's default setting for demoing (less knobs = less distractions = more work done). Enough of my ramblings ...

http://www.grahamfoster.net

What can I say? After getting past the demanding Waves registration process to download the GTR Solo demo I have to say it sounds great! I've done an A/B comparison with the Super Reverb (American Tube Clean 1)in AT2's demo and I prefer the way GTR sits in a track. It's not as imposing (in the true sense of the word) as Amplitube but it's all there. If I were to nit-pick then perhaps it has too much gain to sound 100% realistic but with FreeG in front that's easily sorted out. It's now got me interested in its big brother which I can't try because of the iLok thing - are the bass amps in GTR 3 any good?

So Frantiac, what about the amps in GTR solo? Are they suitable for a more or less creamy (not exactly superdriven) lead sound which would clean up nicely once you turn down your guitar volume?

Can't say much about the bass amps in GR3, they seem to be fine to my ears, but I really haven't tried them out much.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Hi Sascha - I can't get to it right now but I'll try later on and let you know. One thing I've noticed for those who like a simple approach is that both the mono and stereo setups are laid out the same: 1 amp + 1 cab, which makes for easier use (at least it does for me). I remember doing a session with GTR 1 a couple of years ago and not being able to use a 1 amp + 1 cab on a stereo track - it had to be 2 amps + 2 cabs. I don't know if Waves sorted that out in later versions but it put me off at the time.

Hi Sascha - me again. None of the amp sims really seem to clean up all that convincingly when you back off the volume control but this seems to be on a par with the competition. I'm not sure I'd be happy using it live - I already have all the real amps I need for that. I just need something not too expensive for recording indoors so that my trusty old Amplitube LE can enjoy a well-earned retirement. This may well be the one - and the price is right at the moment here in Europe. Why don't you give it a try? It doesn't need an iLok and the demo works for a week which should be long enough to put it through its paces: http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=5847
I'd be interested to hear what you make of it ...

cheers,
Graham

www.grahamfoster.net

Yeah, gotta check out the demo myself as well.

Fwiw, I'm getting rather nice results with GR3's new amp models (especially the Ultrasonic amp) in terms of dynamic reaction, so I may as well be sorted out fine already. I just remember being quite impressed by Waves' GTR demo videos, as the amps seemed to be quite "responsive".

Thanks anyways.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Glad To Be To Of Help Frantiac. I Like It For The Same Reasons You Sold Your License. But I Only Use A Fraction Of Its Features (More Virtual Racks = Wrong Starting Point, I Think). Because Of Paul Reed Smith Getting On Board, Thats Exactly Why I Suggested The Waves GTR, Know I Know Your Real Amp Setup, I Think The Waves Thing Is Definately The Best Choice, Because I Could Not Se Mr PRS Would Get Involved Unless It Very Good & Open Sounding! The Work & Pride He Puts Into His 'Wood' Is Ultra High & Even His SE Range Sound Nice And If Memory Serves Me I Think He Has A Fender Nocaster, And He Was Playing One Of His 513 Models & Said Nocaster When I Heard Him Using The GTR 3.0 Software, And Your Experiance Over The Years Has Finely Tuned Your Ears To Tell Within Maybe 10 Minutes (Even Without Youu Knowing About It!). My Setup In Real Life Is Vastly Different From Yours But Retains The Same Principals: A Jackson Into A Marshall DSL 50 Head Or TSL 212 100 Combo Set Bass = 10, Middle = 10, Treble = 5/6, Deep Switch In & Presence Set = 4/5 On The Crunch Channel Set With Gain = 10 (Alot Like A JCM800) With A Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor & Either A Ibanez TS9 Or 808 'Tube Screamer'/Maxon OD-9/Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal In The NS-2's 'Loop' & Any One Of The Overdrive's Set To: Drive = 3, Tone = 10 & Volume = 10. It Gives Me Tight & Aggressive (UnScooped) Hi-Gain Sound, With Controllable Feedback Or Complete Silence (Due To The NS-2), I Have Been Using The Same Setup For Nearly Five Years & Would Not Change It FOR THE WORLD! I Stick To My Own Rules With Software Or Plug-Ins To Be Specific: If It Isn't Sounding Useable After 10 Minutes, I Just Ditch It! Keep On Rockin (I'll Keep Thrashing!) Mate.
Sonalksis Do An Awesome Set Of Plug-Ins, One Of Which Is Free And Called 'FREE-G', Its Like G-VST But Better, For Free Its Worth Downloading Even If You Stick With G-VST. My E-Mail Is nekromachine@hotmail.co.uk If You Find Something Great And Want To Ramble About It, I Like Rambling & Even More So About Guitars. Take It Easy

Return to “Effects”