suggestions/feature requests

Official support for: artsacoustic.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After using the CL bundle on a ton of projects I'd like to be able to have more over how the CL compressor distorts, it works great on vocals, drums and lots of other stuff but on crunchy guitars in particular the CL distorts in a really nasty way, It would be cool to be able to have a cleaner sounding CL for particular sources, it would also be nice to be able to have control over the output limiter thereshold, it works great for smashing drum room mics but you have to crank it really loud to get that effect and then you mess up your gain staging in a DAW, I know you can turn it down afterwards with the final output knob but it would be great if you could set the limiter to work at lower levels too.

Mario-C. wrote:After using the CL bundle on a ton of projects I'd like to be able to have more over how the CL compressor distorts, it works great on vocals, drums and lots of other stuff but on crunchy guitars in particular the CL distorts in a really nasty way, It would be cool to be able to have a cleaner sounding CL for particular sources,
There's two ways to control the drive in the cl series (first make sure you set up the inputsignal so that it is close to 0db before the plugin):
a) The tube stage at the input is off with an input knob value at or lower than 0db.
b) The limiter at lowest release setting (clip) has no release at all in that state, meaning, it is a sample accurate clipper. if you hear a nasty distortion from the limiter, there's two ways to avoid that. First is, to lower the compressorstage output, which actually feeds the limiter. Second method is, to raise the release time.With short release times between 0,001 and roughly 10,0 you can greatly shape the drive characteristics. Also, for constant signals, rather than spiky percussive signals, you should make sure you're in rms mode in the limiter.
Mario-C. wrote:it would also be nice to be able to have control over the output limiter thereshold, it works great for smashing drum room mics but you have to crank it really loud to get that effect and then you mess up your gain staging in a DAW, I know you can turn it down afterwards with the final output knob but it would be great if you could set the limiter to work at lower levels too.
What you describe here is actually the same. By driving the limiter with the compressor output you do the same as if you would lower the threshold of the limiter. All you have to do for propper gainstaging is lower the attenuator, to have more room for the hosts fader to be automated.
So basically all you want is there, it's just done in a tiny different way.
Kind regards, Nick at ArtsAcoustic

SUG:
Creating an accurate software version of the legendary Smallstone was a genius idea!
Would you guys ever consider doing just the same for the great (and just as legendary) Electric Mistress?

(And BTW yes: I'm obviously a huge Jarre-fan -- hence the request! ^_-)
Cheers from Japan (but french guy, though)!

[EDIT: Just realised HunterKiller made precisely the same suggestion 2 years ago (you didn't catch it at the time), and no wonder for he seems like a clever guy too, hehe! and I believe a fan of old-school Jarre as well]
-- DeisT

Allow me to bump my previous post (since it's been a year or so, and all, you know)! ;)
Hardware-identical Electric Mistress emulation plugin: I'd really love to see this happen someday (and preferably by talented devs like AA!).

I like your all suggestions.
I think that so useful for learning.
Thanks for posting.

Return to “Arts Acoustic”