suggestions/feature requests

Official support for: artsacoustic.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PeterL wrote:FR: A quick "Solo/(or Mute)" button for Dry and Wet signal would be nice.
Please consider this request - my vote also. This comes from working with SIR and Pristine Space (IR reverbs) where I can quickly A/B the dry or wet ratio without changing the settings. I think you already have toggle buttons on the sample rate - getting the dry/wet to toggle to -infinity (OFF, without changing the actual setting) would be very cool!

I just purchased Arts Acoustic reverb, say hello to a new customer. I'm in Reaper v1.817 and using energyXTE to wrap it since some things don't see eye-to-eye with Reaper yet.

kylen wrote:I just purchased Arts Acoustic reverb, say hello to a new customer.
...or not - I was workin' all weekend too, so anyway nice 'verb.

Hi Kylen,

sorry for this late response...
Thank you very much for your purchase indeed! Glad that you seem to like the reverb ;-)

As for the request: We will consider the suggestion for one of our next updates.
I'm in Reaper v1.817 and using energyXTE to wrap it since some things don't see eye-to-eye with Reaper yet.
What exactly is not working in Reaper?

Thanks and best regards from Germany,
Oliver

oliver at artsacoustic wrote:Hi Kylen,

...What exactly is not working in Reaper?

Thanks and best regards from Germany,
Oliver
Hi Oliver - things seem oK in Reaper now - I just DL'd the latest v1.825 and there are no problems to report.

I really like AA reverb and especially appreciate whatever time you spent on the GUI (also the sound too of course) which makes it a lot easier for an intermediate guy to tweak the settings. Take Care ! Kyle

Hiya Nick, any chance of a Receptor supported version?

I'm also building a little Linux powered guitar pedal of sorts and would love to run my favourite reverb on it, just it's going to be a bit of an adventure as to how to install it on there! ;)

Ok (deep breath!), here's some suggestions for either 1.X or totally new 2.X engines of the future for the Reverb plugin that I'm just gonna throw out there and just see if any stick...

1) More tweakability over the eq.

I realise I could do this with a seperate plug via send fx, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the slope of the filters rather than just the freq alone, or even turn it into a proper full eq section with some bell filters as well (plus the option to process just wet, or wet and dry).

2) Ability to adjust level response curves for each low/mid/high reverb band.

At the moment the volume fadeout responses seem to be fixed represented by straight lines on the display, what would be great is if you could select each line on the Time Display seperate and say, holding down shift/ctrl/whatever and clicking, it changes the line from a straight line all the way to a very steep curve in both positive and negative directions. Then the volume change for that one band could be altered from linear to sharp exponential. (2C-Aether has a roughly similar kind of option)

Hopefully you understand what I mean. This would very nicely expand the range of sound of the decay sensation alongside the damping ratios that are already in place.

3) Phase distortion

ArtsAcoustic stereo presence IS good and is very mono compatable at same time which is great, however it would be nice to have a degree of control over the phase response of the whole frequency range for more 'out there' sense of depth. I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to implement this, but the aim would be to generate a greater sense of 3D space, rather than a reverb field just sitting neatly between the speakers. Again this could be per reverb band or as a whole, perhaps too with the option to alter the phase timings in realtime in much the same way as the current modulation is time based altering the pitch (so in effect the sound would swirl, maybe some implementation of ultra transparent phaser?).

4) New algorithms

The obvious one. Have a few more flavours of early reflections and tails, perhaps the option to combine different ones (example, ER of 'Fast' Combined with reverb tail of 'Smooth' would make a good combo). Maybe some very un-real wide spaced out ultra dense ones for all those ambient music creating people out there.

5) More powerful echo section.

Multi Tap options, varying timings, or random timings. An ADSR on the echo so it can increase in decay or tail off to flat more quickly.

6) True project sample rate support.

Ie, if the project rate runs at 48/88/96, AAR runs at that rate too with no down and upsampling from 44 going on. I'm guessing this would have to be a totally new engine to achieve this so no worries, it sounds great as it is.

7) Alternative bit-rates internal support (ie instead of just 32/64, have 16, 8, 4, 128).

Call me crazy I know, but the difference in sound between 32-bit and 64-bit modes is so surprisingly dramatic that it makes me wonder what long reverb tails would sound like in 128. If this makes no difference over 64bit then obviously there's no point bothering, but lower bit rates might give some rougher old skool feel which might appeal to certain sounds and mixes.

8 ) Damping filter slope type.

At the moment the filter slopes between the 3 bands are fixed in steepness, would be cool to have 6/12/24/48db options.

9) Option to un-link the 3 bands so that the Time Design options (predelay, attack, spread etc) can be set individually for each band.

10) Negative pre-delay (or have it on seperate new ER delay slider). So the main reverb tail can be triggered much earlier than the actual early reflections part, might generate some interesting effects.

11) Much longer fadeout of the reverb tails towards the very end of them, so its even smoother fade to infinity (suggestions 7 (with 128bit) and 2 (altering volume curves) might help with this.

Phew!, I think that'll do for now. No doubt all of these would never fit on a single page gui so it would turn the AAR into a multipage affair (or windowed sections serving multiple pages), but those are my ideas for possible enhancements.

*edit* Almost forgot, please don't change the range values or response of the Room Size in any way through the 1.X updates, as the exact value of room size can be critical in making a reverb program sound just right.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

WOW!

Thanks, Arksun, very much appreciated! It is really helpful for developers to get such rich and detailed information. I can understand every single point of your suggestion list, and it shows what are the needs of users in terms of reverb.

Some of your suggestions (2/4/8/9/10) would make it necessary to create a complete new reverb algorithm. Esp. those with the shape of the reverb tail, the independent bands and also the ERs. We could not change the dependencies without drastically change or redesign the whole algorithm and thus the sound. But that does not mean, that they wouldn't be extremly useful. Who knows, maybe we create another reverb one day, I'll be sure to realize them all (as they are on my personal wishlist, too!).

About the Post (and Pre) EQs, we believe, and we discussed this much, a reverb should be kept as simple as possible. Just a fast possibility for the most common tasks, but not more. Everything else can and should be made with your favorite EQs yourself. You know, some people prefer vintage and others linear phase EQs. We let decide themselves and think, this is best for all.

Phase distortion, better echo section, bit rates, and sample rate suggestions are really worth to be considered. But, like allways, we cannot promise anything ;)

About the longer decay times: actually you can reach them by setting the ratios of every band to 5x, so you get a tail of 5x 45s = 225s = 3min45s. Still not enough? :D

Again, thanks for your great feedback!
kind regards, timo

My pleasure :)
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Arksun wrote:6) True project sample rate support.

Ie, if the project rate runs at 48/88/96, AAR runs at that rate too with no down and upsampling from 44 going on. I'm guessing this would have to be a totally new engine to achieve this so no worries, it sounds great as it is.
Is this done already now?

No. The AAR runs internally in either 44.1 or 22.05 kHz, dependent of the quality switch, no matter what samplerate is used by your project.
kind regards, timo

And this isn't going to change?

Not in the near future, sorry. And we won't tell you anything of the far future... :D
kind regards, timo

Too bad. Thought I could buy it soon. But this one keeps me thinking ...

What's your problem with it? There aren't any real restrictions because of that (except that the reverb consumes less cpu when using in >44.1 kHz projects...).

Maybe it didn't get clear to you: the reverb operates well with all samplerates. It is only the internal samplerate, that is kept constant at 22.05/44.1 kHz. Be assured that we have the highest possible conversion built-in, so you won't hear any sonic difference between a 44.1 and e.g. 96kHz project.

Btw, the reverb would sound much more different if working internally with 96kHz. Not necessarily better, but different.That's another reason why we decided to fix the internal samplerate - to keep the cpu consumption and also the sound as constant as possible.

Maybe we'll give you another samplerate option one day, but this only to give you more sound options, not primary to improve the sonic quality. A reverb isn't that samplerate dependent, like an EQ for example.

I'd suggest you to download the demo and try it in your projects. Maybe you want also try it in projects with different samplerates. If you feel that the sonic quality differs extremely and you really need a higher internal samplerate, let me know, but I am quiet sure that you will be satisfied the way it is now... ;)
kind regards, timo

Ok, will try it again in some days ...

Return to “Arts Acoustic”