Creating Drones

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JohnVulich wrote: :dog: You're missing the point if it! I think that the beauty if it is NOT knowing what the controls do. I'm pretty sure that's why it was designed that way. It forces you to approach patch creating in a lateral thinking sort of way. I constantly use patch randomizing to aid in this approach.
:lol: HAHAHA - I know. I just wanted the damn clicking to stop. :shock:

Wasn't necessarily trying to subdue the beast.

My usual technique involves much more abuse of physical objects with cheap microphones (Al-Mumit and The Conqueror Worm as examples). I just trash stuff for an hour or so while recording, then cut up and process to taste. Most of it is based on feedback either attained from placing speakers and mics close together while abusing said objects, or recording, and using somethign like senderella to create an internal loop. I also use pedals alot for noise. But my stuff is more noise than drone I suppose...

[ xerocreep ] wrote:But my stuff is more noise than drone I suppose...
Do like me and call your stuff noisedrone. It's like a 'get out of jail free' card.

shamann wrote:
[ xerocreep ] wrote:But my stuff is more noise than drone I suppose...
Do like me and call your stuff noisedrone. It's like a 'get out of jail free' card.

or do what i do and just call it stuff :)
no confusion then :hihi:

vurt wrote:or do what i do and just call it stuff :)
no confusion then :hihi:
I tried that once, but then someone asked, "You do stuff? Does it sound much like vurt?"

:lol:

JohnVulich wrote:
simulacreant wrote:john-- my gf and i love your work! btw, which zombie were you in Day of the Dead?
Thanks for the compliment.

I played a couple of Zombies in the film. For one of them I was dressed up kinda like Colonel Sanders, with a fake goatee, and was squibbed up with a few dozen bullet hits and then machine gunned to death. We also had a fake head of me, that was also squibbed up, for close-ups of my face getting shot. :-o

The other one was the Zombie that got the top of his head chopped off with a shovel. Several times, during pre-production, we had brainstorming sessions trying to come up with novel ways to kill Zombies. That was one of the deaths that I came up with so I insisted on playing the part...

Are you serious? You were in that flick?

Sicklecell666 wrote:Are you serious? You were in that flick?
Yeah, I was in it and I was also responsible for a lot of the Make-up FX, as an Assistant to Tom Savini, including Bub's Make-up which I designed and applied.

It's not very complete but thanks for posting the link anyway. The IMDb one is a little better but even that one is pretty incomplete as I rarely bother to update it.

No shit! hah!

:D

I gotta tell you about when I went to the theater to see the flick, then..

I was like 15 and me and my buddy went to see it in a part of Miami that was very predominantly(surprise, suprise) hispanic. The part when they says, "That's how the spics say 'yellow'" made me and my buddy f**king crack up until we notcied that you could hear a pindrop in the theater as everyone else in it was staring us down f**king hardcore..

:hihi:

hehe i introduced my 11 year old to some of your work recently john :)
new wave of fans in the making me thinks :hihi:

Return to “Production Techniques”