Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi !
I always wonder how to achieve this
incredible synth sound in the intro
of "Don't Go"...
This track is fantastic ! It contains
the most amazing synths sounds ever produced.
Is it possible to recreate this intro brass
sound ? I've spent a lot of time trying...
but I really couldn't get close. It seems
a mix of different filter types... Hi pass,
band pass... I need a pro advice on this please !
And also some mp3 example if possible !
Thanks

Superwave P8 has a couple of patches that can get close to it. Since the original was most likely made with a SCI Pro-One you can probably also get close with Pro-53 or Arturia's new Prophet V.

Edit: Oh yeah, there are patch sheets on that page that show the settings for getting the sound on the Pro-One. It should be easy to apply that to many other synths.

Thanks a lot ! This is a very interesting link !

Superwave Performer has a preset specifically called "Don't Go" which is as close as I've ever heard a preset get to that sound :)

Superwave synths are the dogs bollox and worth every penny :)

Lovesign wrote:Superwave Performer has a preset specifically called "Don't Go" which is as close as I've ever heard a preset get to that sound :)

Superwave synths are the dogs bollox and worth every penny :)
word!

I'm gonna try superwave for sure ! That's so funny,
I thought it was a very complicated patch but it seems
so simple on the pro one !

Do you guys know what they used for the drums on that track? I just love that snare drum. It's SO 80s! :-)

They recorded upstairs at Eric's (Radcliffe)

Some info about equipment at Blackwing Studios found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwing_Studios

Thanks for the link !

I spotted "Silicon Teens" there.
Daniel (Miller) if you ever read this - any chance for a follow up? :-D

Anyway - I believe the drums came from a synth. Just as in Depeche Mode's Speak & Spell.

I get that the bass came from a pro-One and the lead came from an ARP 2600.
At Vince Clarke's homepage - vinceclarkemusic.om there's a video where he shows his ARP 2600. There one can hear that he used it for the lead on that song.

Maybe the drums too came from the ARP 2600?

When it hit the charts in the 80's I thought it was awesome but hated the artificial whack drum sounds. Now it is called vintage 80's which is true, of course :D

Yea - a main difference when it comes to drums , then and now, is that back then the kick drum where more often in the background while the focus was more on the snare. Today it's pretty much the opposite I would say.

ThePresent wrote:When it hit the charts in the 80's I thought it was awesome but hated the artificial whack drum sounds. Now it is called vintage 80's which is true, of course :D
I actually thought they were some really interesting drum sounds at the time. They were not the ubiquitous Linn sound, so that was quite refreshing.

sfd wrote:Yea - a main difference when it comes to drums , then and now, is that back then the kick drum where more often in the background while the focus was more on the snare. Today it's pretty much the opposite I would say.
True, snare slamming your ears all over the place :hihi:

I loved that drum sound back then, I love it now :love:

Nobody puts down Charlie Watts for playing the old grey generic set he always have. So let me just say that the Rolling Stone drum sound suck :P

I saw one guy actually putting down Depeche Mode's A Broken Frame album complaining they used to much Simmons Drums :o

I would say the other DM albums use too little :D

Return to “Sound Design”