****Mastering Challenge Vote Thread****

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic

Will you be voting on this?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes
48%
No
17%
No, but I am curious to see who wins.
36%

Total votes: 42

RELATED
PRODUCTS

5 p0sts.

Geoff242 wrote: haudegen: The reverb on the drums is mostly natural except for a send on the snare, in which I used SH-1. The send is about at -12db and the delay time is fairly low. Some of the reverb you may be hearing is from the ambient and room microphones, so it's natural. I used BFD2 for these drums, so the room in which they are recorded is one of the best.
of course bfd is one of the best. i don't know the reverb but -12 db are IMO to much.

pearldivers wrote:P.S. Happy Birthday to Me.
Happy Birthday, mate! :tu:

My vote:

1. Ultramarine
2. Aeneous
3. Perse
4. Russett
5. Morel
6. Macarat
7. Indigo
8. Vermilion
9. Zinnober
10. Nigrine
11. Mazarine

The bottom three were all overcompressed to my ears, and in the cases of the bottom two, there was audible pumping.
Please understand that this is coming from someone who quotes Terry Pratchett - Melkor

Just edited my first post including the vote.

interesting votings so far... somebody's top 3 is someone else's bottom 3 ..

how wonderfully weird. :hihi:

good luck everyone !

*will edit with vote later*

Which just goes to show how subjective it all is.
Please understand that this is coming from someone who quotes Terry Pratchett - Melkor

^ is it really ? i seriously doubt it.. but let's not go into that right now.

:oops:

there are some really wrong assumptions in this topic :]

hackenslash wrote:Which just goes to show how subjective it all is.
Or how bad some peoples listening-environments are ... :D

But after reconsidering for example "Perse" (seeing two have it on the 3rd) I have to say, that it's generally even one of the better ones.
It's only that I had to turn it off after a few seconds, because its harsh topend (which most systems probably won't reproduce) was killing me.
I'd call em the "headache-highs".

I'd be interested in what a real mastering engineer with a great listening environment would think of these versions.

i guess a mastering engineer would request separate wav's of all the individual tracks. would be fun to know afterwards who is making a living with mastering and who isn't. pro/hobbiest and stuff like that. and perhaps also if he/she prefers headphones or monitors :D

I don't think anyone would need Wave-files for this situation. The differences on those files are very obvious and it's 320kbps MP3 after all.

I'd be very surprised if any of the people, who joined this competition, would do this for a living.

Mastering is done on boxes/monitors. Maybe some use headphones as a help for certain things, but for doing the whole job it's the same as for mixing:
It just does not work.
I've never ever heard of a mastering engineer, who'd master on headphones.

nono, that not what i mean. for voting you won't need separate tracks..,
i mean, to master the track it would be more handy to have all the separate tracks. nevermind. :]

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

So, I hate to say this, but I screwed up. I was really afraid I was going to screw up on something, and I did. I accidentally posted an older version of "Nacarat". Please re-listen to this version and edit your votes accordingly. I am really sorry for the inconvenience. I have updated the original post above with the new version.

Thanks!

7kilo wrote:nono, that not what i mean. for voting you won't need separate tracks..,
i mean, to master the track it would be more handy to have all the separate tracks. nevermind. :]
Of course, but then it's mixing. :wink:

@Geoff242
K ... will relisten.

Edit:
Done .. still on place 2.
Last edited by Nokenoku on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wait.. what ?! mastering aint the same as mixing ? well it should be !! :D

or well, it could be.. if i had my little way.. which i don't

1. Nacarat
2. Aeneous
3. Russet
4. Vermilion
5. Ultramarine
6. Indigo
7. Zinnober
8. Morel
9. Perse
10. Mazarine