Early 80s drum machine processing boogie/funk related

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

K-Bee wrote:I've never used a tape sim in my life. Should I start? I'm not even sure I'd be able to hear the difference, but who knows. :?:
If you want the sound of those tracks sure.. I've tried so many things and none of them have worked, I tried the impulse and it was like whoaah, there it is.

and sorry, I didn't realise until now you needed to be a member to hear the clip.

Here's one you can listen to on the link: http://picosong.com/3PiZ/

First is raw, second is tape impulse, the issue ofcourse as you'll hear is that noise. And it sounds awesome(well, there is alot of high end loss but alot of punch and the harsh frequencies dissapear, boosting the highs becomes smooth, like I imagine real tape) on the master too, except ofcourse the noise.

The magical thing that it does, is what it does to the attacks, tbh without it, the DMX sounds like cack and that's how I could never get it to sound like the records.

Reelbus and analogflux are the only 2 I've found that can do it but only like 5%, still way off.

Cheers.

I only see one clip on the site - but that's the impulse one (the file name sort of gives that away)
Sounds good :) I might look into this Tape sim idea. I'll pick up a freebie. Any good ones around?
How about this from the KVR 2009 challenge?
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/200 ... -kvr-dc09/

K-Bee wrote:I only see one clip on the site - but that's the impulse one (the file name sort of gives that away)
Sounds good :) I might look into this Tape sim idea. I'll pick up a freebie. Any good ones around?
How about this from the KVR 2009 challenge?
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/200 ... -kvr-dc09/
Yeah there's only 1 file but in the file, the drum loop plays twice, first is raw, 2nd is through tape.

What I'm looking for is a VST that can do it due to the limitations of the impulse.

Ferric is pretty rubbish IMO, not suitable for this unfortunately. It's not just a saturation plugin needed, it's a tape emulation.

Hmmm it seems most are saturation plugins, at least the ones stumbled upon.
Only did a quick look around though, and only for freebies.

Hello.
How to make this is bass drum from RX11?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Version of kick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To get that warm 80's Boogie funk sound your trying to replacate you need to record your master on to a reel to reel tape. Once its on there you record it to a wav file using a tube amp converter or hi fi audio converter. Back in the 80's all recordings were mastered to a tape reel. When you peak on a reel to reel recorder it doesnt sound like crap. It actually gives you that punchy drum and kick that you hear on those classic boogie funk tracks. Not like when you peak on mp3 you get that horribble clipping that drives me insane ps . Love those tracks you posted as examples. I also am getting my feet wet with the same genre. I have a yamaha dx7 and working on pressing a 45" by july 2018. Hope you get the sound you want stay funky peace

Return to “Production Techniques”