What is resampling?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
A lot of the responses have been really good, if you need a quick look at a walk-through, you can check out this video I made. I produce and work in Ableton, but the concept is pretty much the same for any DAW software.

http://www.intergalacterrorist.com/2012 ... g-101.html (http://www.intergalacterrorist.com/2012/03/ableton-live-resampling-101.html)

cheers!
¥

Syncretia wrote:Really, it doesn't matter about the definition of "resampling". In it's widest sense, it just means taking something that has been recorded and doing something to it.
No. I believe that is an uneducated answer. Sorry to be blunt but anybody who has formal training in audio production would never define resampling as you have so given it.

I don't mean people who are not educated are any lesser - far from it!! - BUT, resampling is a VERY well understood concept by those in the know. I don't understand why the debate!!

I do agree, however, if people insist on making a new definition for resampling, that they hypenate it to read re-sampling.

Let me say once again -- I don't mean people who are not educated are any lesser. Let me be very clear on that fact.
Last edited by james_mcfadyen on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James McFadyen
Composer

James McFadyen
Composer

The meaning of words changes over time, and plenty of words have dual meaning. Welcome to English.

When a hip-hop artist talks about sampling, nobody thinks for a second that they're merely talking about capturing an analog signal in the digital domain. Heck, plenty of VSTi instruments classed as samplers can't even record, yet we still call them samplers because they're suited to working with and manipulating sampled material. Nobody has stopped calling them samplers because they no longer have the functionality to capture an analog signal. Same with an EDM producers talking about resampling. It makes perfect sense when you consider how the meaning of the word sampling has broadened over the years.

When talking about changing sample rates, I've noticed that many producers say downsample or upsample, depending on which direction they're going. You can see why they do this when the meaning of the word sample and its derivatives are changing. We see this kind of 'transposition' in language all the time.

I really don't see a problem with people using terms like this. The meaning is always obvious from the context.

james_mcfadyen wrote:Let me say once again -- I don't mean people who are not educated are any lesser. Let me be very clear on that fact.
i think we're wasting our time.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

In signal processing terminology (specifically Seismic Data Processing) resampling refers to an increase in the sampling rate (in either the time or spacial offset domain), from, say 4 ms to 2ms, or from 50m to 25 m. Conversely, desampling results in a decrease of the time domain or spacial domain sample rate.

wtf?
AD, is this guy wasting his time?
ImageImageImageImage

when you get to the point where you have to back off from a foamy mouthed horde and try to excuse yourself by saying something like "not that i think the stupid are any less intelligent, but..." it means you've wasted your time.

it's true through what has been said about semantics. language evolves over time.

the language of the stupid evolves stupidly.

eventually we'll see a widening gap between english and the new "markkan" language. in this language everything will mean everything. the most common word will be "ugh", although you'll also often see occurrences of "meh" and "lol".

if their language enabled them to do so, they would argue that this is not stupid but is in fact evolution toward a more efficient means of communication. considering the fact that the thoughts they wish to communicate are exactly equal to the various grunts they're capable of producing in their common tongue, i would be a fool to argue against it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

AD, please please, please tell me you have seen Idiocracy?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

They foresee the same thing happening to language, along with everything else.
(Although your last paragraph is the important part. That never gets brought up. Thats why I dont text. And I let my posts get as long as I want. There is a feedback loop into the thought process. No one even notices.)

Now, to many seasoned members of the forum it may seem near insane to recommend that movie to you. :hihi:
You would no doubt have various worthwhile and legitimate critiques. Its not the best film ever made. But I guarantee you get at least one laugh out of it. It might be a short, thin, half sigh, kind of 'fukk this world' kind of laugh, but a good one.

This is a diagnosis from a Doctor in the film, pictured:

Shit, I cant tell if the pic will make you more or less likely to check it out. :P
ImageImageImageImage

these are pronounced:
"uhh", "muhh" and "huhh!".
you know where frito says: "Huhh! Yeah, suck one. Time machine costs, like, 20."

or the laugh butthead does regularly. huhhuhuh.

of course these are both created by the same guy.
Last edited by aciddose on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm glad everyone has their own definition of the word. What OP was asking is what do stupid uneducated subspecies such as EDM producers mean when they say resample, and in that case, it means bouncing to audio to reapply effects, slice, and rearrange.

There really isn't much need to go further in this case!
I run a netlabel http://oligopolistrecords.bandcamp.com
Free chill, hip-hop, lo-fi, ambient, experimental, for you! (Send me demos too!)

From what I can gather about the film's message from a quick bit of reading, the format in which that picture/quote is presented takes facepalm irony to new heights.

The film looks like it'll be a good watch though!

highkoo wrote:wtf?
Is desampling a waste of time, or merely cost-effective? :?

Oh theres a little Frito in all of us-
"Yeah.., I like money though!" :lol:
seismic1 wrote:
highkoo wrote:wtf?
Is desampling a waste of time, or merely cost-effective? :?
Sorry seismic, I was just messing with you because you happened to be the guy that posted. Well, and cuz your post seemed informed. :P
Measuring earthquake data does seem a little dubious to me though because I think we cause half of them now.
Dr. Lexus wrote: Hate to be a dick, but it says on your chart that youre fukked up;
You talk like a fag, and your shits all retarded.
Dont worry bro.
Theres plenty of 'tards out there livin kick ass lives!
My first wife. She was was 'tarded...
Shes a pilot now.
cron wrote: from a quick bit of reading, the format in which that picture/quote is presented...
Theres that fag talk we talked about. :lol:
j/k!

Uh, apparently the whole works is on the Yoot in full quality?-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMkrJOOT ... re=related

Camacho 2012!!!
ImageImageImageImage

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho?

the only thing with the movie is it's sad how depressing it is if you can realize it's all just a very accurate portrait of the way some people (the same people capable of this revelation) see the world as it is now. ...and always has been and likely always will be.

well you have two choices. you can either laugh it off or go on a killing spree.

Return to “Production Techniques”