How fast do you work?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I work fast. Composed and recorded a song while typing this message.

3 - 4 weeks. It's important for the music to sink in, and then come back to it... Even if it is the next day.

5-6 hours for the tune then 4 hours mastering the other day

professionals in EDM take 20-30 hours for a compoete track.

shouldnt take longer though.

I usually work at 3, sometimes 5 and occasionally as high as 8 ... but 10 or 11 is out.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

for me it was all about making my workflow efficient. in the beginning i would spend absurd hours just getting the arrangement done but i did a couple of tricks that i think really made it all easier for me:

1. Create a template, it'll probably take a couple of hours. and its boring shit because you aren't being creative, but trust me it saves so much time. I don't have to waste time with routing fx or group busses or anything like that anymore, and i always know where my tracks are. On my template i have the premaster as the first track then kick and bass, percussion and so on. It may seem like it wouldn't make a huge difference but saving seconds here and there can save hours in the context of a completed track.

2. created a bank of 10 or so kicks that I love. I am a sample hoarder so In the begging i found it would take me 20 min at the begging of an arrangement just to find a kick i wanted for that track. So i took an hour or so went through all my kicks and found my favorite ones, and put them in a folder. Within those theres some really attacky kicks, some with a lot of low end etc. so there is a kick for anything i would need.

3. started saving my presets, and channel strip settings. If i made a cool sound in one track i would save it. no sense in going through all your presets in every plugin every time you make a track. Instead i have some good saved presets/channel strips for leads, basses, chords etc. and go back to them and tweak here and there. This is how I believe you begin to develop "your own sound"

4. i don't worry about the intro/outro until the very end of the arrangement or sometimes even the mix down. i find the longer you wait with that the more you can have it all flow together, because you'll have the greatest feel for your track the longer time you spend with it.

5. don't spend time with uplifters/downlifters/impacts etc until your arrangement is done, I made a folder of some pretty generic fx like this and just put them in during the arranging so i know they're there. Then once I'm done i go back and play with that stuff. I think i got this from Dada life they said they make all their tracks without the noise and uplifters first because if its bumping without them it'll deffinetely be huge with them.

after doing all of that i can usually get a full arrangement in under 3 hours, and then spend a majority of my time making it all sound good after. You only have so much time your brian can sustain creativity, so in my opinion you need to be efficient with it
https://soundcloud.com/ryanbrennanmusic ... -brennan-1
hit me up on facebook to talk production and stuff:
Facebook.com/ryan.brennan.7509

Return to “Production Techniques”