Studio Monitors my search for truth!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's why I have few sets of monitors and headphones. Auratone 5c is one of them.

NS10? they are good for pop and vocals for sure. I've spent time with them..

I listened to Genelecs for a few years, the sound is very accurate, but didn't please after many hours of working with Singers, violinists and so I'm looking for a different sound now.

The ADAM A77x is a three way monitor, with the right mix of price and performance. No way are they over the top price wise. So I'd like to steer the thread back to monitors in this quality and price level. Sure I could if I wanted go out tomorrow and get the budget monitors, mentioned above. But it's not the point of the question stated by me in the original post. Make a new thread titled: Budget monitors which ones are best?

I'm still interested in monitors like the a77x and those in close proximity and price up to 2x as much..

It's like there's this will to negative hype on monitors, putting downward pressure on the perception of the need for quality monitoring. It's not at all helpful to me, or other like me that could benefit from quality imput from users of some of the monitor systems mention early on in this thread..

So a friendly suggestion to the participant in this thread that seems to have hijacked this thread, start your own thread!!

Most monitors that are accurate sound open with depth and clarity in the vocal range, good localization in the soundstage.

NS10 and bookshelf style monitors can be okay for vocal based pop, rock, but for symphonic/electronic new music, or any material with lots of dynamics and bass, this type of material isn't going to be very accurately reproduced, so when you've used your money on the NS10's then you will soon be needing to spend extra $$ on a subwoofers and a crossover filters. Done well this could solve the problem but this can also be done in a way that creates more problems than it solves. No I'd rather pay more for a 3 way system, and be done.. Go listen to some three way monitors and you'll hear what I mean.

I of course wouldn't buy monitors if I wasn't interested in making mixes that translate well. If it was just for my own use, then I could just use decent home speakers and be done!

I am going to use this setup to help me work with mixes that would be played live for theatre, dance, and eletronica concerts. To translate to earbuds/headphones,Checking on a few different styles of headphones would be the easiest thing to do.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote: It's like there's this will to negative hype on monitors, putting downward pressure on the perception of the need for quality monitoring. It's not at all helpful to me, or other like me that could benefit from quality imput from users of some of the monitor systems mention early on in this thread..

So a friendly suggestion to the participant in this thread that seems to have hijacked this thread, start your own thread!!
Well... I thought only to help in searching the true (like it is described in the main threads topic). I will not interrupt your discussion anymore.
Good luck in searching your dreaming monitors!

i spent almost a year with A7X and no sub - i think now that the way to go is to get a sub for low range and only get as large of satellites as you need for loudness.. now with my sub7 i could see using the smaller ADAMs for high range only - A7X can get very loud and still sound good, but if you don't need really high volume - you could save some cash toward the sub by getting A5X or even A3X satellites.. just my $0.02 since i do own the ADAMs and i love them..

ford442 wrote:i spent almost a year with A7X and no sub - i think now that the way to go is to get a sub for low range and only get as large of satellites as you need for loudness.. now with my sub7 i could see using the smaller ADAMs for high range only - A7X can get very loud and still sound good, but if you don't need really high volume - you could save some cash toward the sub by getting A5X or even A3X satellites.. just my $0.02 since i do own the ADAMs and i love them..
Interesting point. I have some reservations about the sub, statellite idea as I have heard it can be difficult to get the crossover point set right, making the bass seem somewhat untight. To do it right then the room response really has to be measured carefully , then adjust crossover, remeasure and readjust, position, perhaps discover needs for addition acoustic regulation, It's an extra step in the setup process. Getting some speakers that have a full range like the a77X you simplify setup which would be a boon especielly if you use move your setup to a couple of different rooms as I may be doing. So I need to eliminate variables. But it's still good advice you are giving if your careful about setup.
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I have some reservations about the sub, statellite idea as I have heard it can be difficult to get the crossover point set right, making the bass seem somewhat untight.
This is true of any monitoring setup that seeks to replicate sub 80Hz frequencies to any degree of accuracy. It's far easier to achieve with a sub because there's only 1 source to deal with, so when you're trying to work out how to minimise standing waves, modal ringing, lumpy response, etc, you've got a better chance of understanding how the energy is being transferred to/through different materials.

Okay thanks for the clarification!

SuperNoise wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote: It's like there's this will to negative hype on monitors, putting downward pressure on the perception of the need for quality monitoring. It's not at all helpful to me, or other like me that could benefit from quality imput from users of some of the monitor systems mention early on in this thread..

Well... I thought only to help in searching the true (like it is described in the main threads topic). I will not interrupt your discussion anymore.
Good luck in searching your dreaming monitors!
Same here.
If you really think that electronic music (bassheavy) is gonna work on a77x's :-)
I will also not interrupt your thread anymore. Good luck!

jkworks wrote: Same here.
If you really think that electronic music (bassheavy) is gonna work on a77x's :-)
I will also not interrupt your thread anymore. Good luck!
Well I guess I'll just go in and listen to them again. It's not more than a 10 minute walk to the place that has several of the monitors mentioned so far in this thread.

So far they seemed to do pretty nice with the full spectrum from bass through mid range to high frequency.

It's not an a77x thread it's a77x and similiar in the same price range..

This thread got spread out to deal mostly with room treatment, which deserves a whole thread of it's own. And translation to other systems using yes the auratones, or yamahas as models, sort of sidetracking the issue at hand. I know about the benefits of having those kind of monitors on hand for checking out a mix, they are like spotlights on the classic Am radio bandwidth. Great and interesting information yet still does not have anything to do with the original question. The fact that I use them in my own studio where I'm a composer/arranger sound design should also be noted once again. So ear fatigue has to be taken into account here, and I think the NS10 would be very tiring to work with over say 25 hours a week. Cheaper monitors I have used like the Tannoy 2 seemed not defined enough veiled in the mid to high frequency range. Though here again the room could have played a part. The A77X that I have listened too really were very detailed in the ranges that were important to me, and the bass was fully present but not boomy and untight..

Monitors like the a77x which cost around $2200 usd a pair and more high end brands in this type of monitor up to $4000 usd pair like the Opals (two way) could be a very useful addition to my setup at this point in time. There are cheaper monitors and there are monitors costing more than 8000 pair and yes there is a market for them all. Certain applications you can get by with the $600 pair others demand the $8000. I'd like to find monitors that have the best quality for my usage, for the lowest possible price in my projected budget, that's the $2000 - 4000 I need to buy them from a reliable company that's going to be around for my projected time of use of say 15 years...

I will strive to pay for what I buy outright, and would be willing to take either a demo or a one year old used set if in good shape..

you shouldn't have to pay more than about $1400 FOR A77X in the US according to my sources.

it is interesting to me and worth noting that when you wire up a sub you want to use the 85hz cut for the monitors leaving them only reproducing the high range - this lets their cones only work on the highs and not shake around like the sub cone. since we are talking about this level of accuracy and expense, i think that you get more of your precision for the money letting the sub do the physical rattling. the difference for me is very noticeable.

i thought that it would be tough to get the bass sounding right - but as it turns out - you have the ADAM remote control at your chair, so bass can be tuned to your minute to minute listening/mixing pleasure - turn up the bass and see what it going on down there, then turn it back for tightness, feel the whole range while working. some people's listening systems go down that low, some don't, some people have bass enhancements on - so, if you can hear more or less bass, it is not going to matter so much as if it is well mixed bass that fits with the song.

like i said - i worked all year without the sub, but now i see that i was missing something - my brother's car system has these low frequencies for example that are just below what you hear with monitors alone - the ADAMs are known to go down to maybe 45hz, but not 32hz like the sub7.

Thanks for the info Ford442, I'm unfortunately in Denmark and here the A77X pair cost about $1900 or there abouts.. Our Vat tax is 25%

In your first post you mention the name A7X which I believe was the 2 way model so there seems to be some confusion there.

Again I find this model alone without Sub to be adequate for my uses for now and the price is extremely competitive in relation for example the event Opals cost 2x as much and the two way Genelecs 8250A with 8 woofer 2.2x as much, or the three way Focals Focal twin6 be which cost exactly double.

My budget could in streach reach upward to these other offerings but in the end savings are always welcome..

^^^^^ exactomundo!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

i see.. well - i own the A7X + Sub7 which was $1400 for the pair and $600 for the sub - but, i was saying that one could easily use the A5X + Sub7 or even A3X + Sub7 to get great sound - just maybe not for 90db mixing.. that would be $400 or $760 less for the set over here.. i almost regret spending so much when the high end i want isn't super loud and i'll bet the smaller ADAMs are fine at everyday volumes... when you hook up the sub with 85hz cut it leaves your main monitors doing very delicate sounds for the most part - if i push my head really close away from the sub i can tell that they are no longer thumping, but just sending out the whisper-like high range mostly..

i personally mix electronic sounds mostly so i have to work with the low ranges - i am looking back and finding where i didn't have a sub and my low end is all out of whack for the past 9 years of mixing.. i don't want others to fall victim to this - subs are good!! :)

Thanks @ Ford442, for the good points, I see the logic in what your saying and your first hand experience really carries a lot of weight..

Hmm. Maybe go for the smallest high end S series from Adam the S1X with sub as a good combination with best bass and stellar highend..

here the S1X is twice as expensive as the A7X.. that must be a good choice for those who can afford.. :)

Return to “Production Techniques”